Thread: Powder for 9mm

Powder for 9mm

Gonna reloading for my lever release later in the year and looking for people's favorite 9mm powder,will be at the phoenix in may so will be a good time to stock up.Been using 124 grain factory ammo and it shoots nicely so likely stay with that weight.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by mr smith; 24-04-2017 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr smith View Post
    Gonna reloading for my lever release later in the year and looking for people's favorite 9mm powder,will be at the phoenix in may so will be a good time to stock up.Been using 124 grain factory ammo and it shoots nicely so likely stay with that weight.
    Cheers.
    Back in pistol days I was using 5.8 grains of Hercules (now Alliant) Unique behind Hornady 124 TCs and Geco 123 (IIRC) FMJRNs. It was a slightly compressed load and gave 1170 fps in my CZ75. It'd shoot into about 1" at 25 yards when the pistol was new, but that deteriorated after 15,000 rounds or so.

Unique is a particularly versatile powder - works well all the way from .32 ACP to .577 Snider. I expect it'd be OK in a carbine, but for the hottest loads you might want something slower like Herco or Blue Dot.
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

Quote Originally Posted by mr smith View Post
    Cheers.
    I used Viht 3N37 in my 9mm reloads; it was a popular choice back in the day. It is not one of the well-known Viht powders, but it is available from anyone who deals with the importer. It is tremendously versatile, and I use it today in my .357 Marlin pushing 180gr LTCs down range.

Load data available from the Vihtavuori manual, available for free download from the website of the manufacturer.

Congrats on your recent Open win, btw!

David.
    Last edited by dprees; 27-04-2017 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dprees View Post
    I used Viht 3N37 in my 9mm reloads; it was a popular choice back in the day. It is not one of the well-known Viht powders, but it is available from anyone who deals with the importer. It is tremendously versatile, and I use it today in my Marlin pushing 180gr LTCs down range.

Load data available from the Vihtavuori manual, available for free download from the website of the manufacturer.

Congrats on your recent Open win, btw!

David.
    Thanks David the stars must have been in alignment or something.
    Right had a quick search on some of the UK forums and 3n37 does appear to be well thought of in the 9mm.
    Cheers.

I feed my CZ SP01 4.2gn Titegroup behind a 124gn JRN. It loves them.