Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anschutz 335

Anschutz 335

I have one of these to rebuild.

Looks very easy. Stock off. Barrel off. Put in compressor, push in trigger unit, push out pins. Loosen compressor, all done.

Any little quirks I am missing?

Thanks, guys.

Not really stripping but give the stock fixings a good looking at as the welds have been known to break.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Not really stripping but give the stock fixings a good looking at as the welds have been known to break.

ATB
    Ian
    Having had first hand experience of that I will definitely second this advice
    Dave

Thanks, guys.

Yes, the reason for the rebuild is that I acquired one in OK condition with a broken lug on the cylinder, then (to my pleasant surprise) found a replacement cylinder with the lugs intact.

If I need to replace the spring (e.g. if some previous owner shoved an Ox in there), any views on a sensible replacement? I'd be very happy to have it ticking over at 9-10 ft/lbs in .22".

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Thanks, guys.

Yes, the reason for the rebuild is that I acquired one in OK condition with a broken lug on the cylinder, then (to my pleasant surprise) found a replacement cylinder with the lugs intact.

If I need to replace the spring (e.g. if some previous owner shoved an Ox in there), any views on a sensible replacement? I'd be very happy to have it ticking over at 9-10 ft/lbs in .22".
    I cant help on that one mate. I have one with an old cut down Venom spring doing about 11.7 in .177 and another that came to me with a standard brand new spring also in .177 that I think is just under 11. I would add that both have gone over to ptfe however.

If you still have the lug attachment I wouldnt scrap the old cylinder by the way. I am sure there is someone out there with the skill to weld it back on stronger than it was originally?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    I cant help on that one mate. I have one with an old cut down Venom spring doing about 11.7 in .177 and another that came to me with a standard brand new spring also in .177 that I think is just under 11. I would add that both have gone over to ptfe however.

If you still have the lug attachment I wouldnt scrap the old cylinder by the way. I am sure there is someone out there with the skill to weld it back on stronger than it was originally?

Dave
    Thanks, Dave. Sadly, the old lug was not included.

How easy is the conversion to a PTFE seal?

From memory pretty easy. I had the seals from Robb and if I recall correctly I just took off the leather heads and used the central screw to thread the new one on. Its threaded into the piston rather than a threaded projecting rod.

I've done at least two of mine from memory (cant be sure as I have 4). Its my personal experience it has been beneficial but that is not everyone's experience going by a thread not so long ago.

Nice rifles. I especially lusted after the WBPS Marauder version back in the day.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post

Nice rifles. I especially lusted after the WBPS Marauder version back in the day.

Dave
    Dribble away Dave.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...l?sort=6&o=124

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Very much so

There was one on another sale site 2-3 years ago and it looked all that it was meant to be in the flesh. I'm sure in that state of fettle it would give a FWB a run for it's money-possibly then some.

Looking at the prices they seem a strong bit of coin for the time. But it's all relative I guess. Nice lumps of wood and engineering dont come cheap. And of course if someone had picked one up back in the day (and had looked after it since) they would easily make their money back now or there would be no justice in the world?

A nice blast from the past there

Dave

Thanks for that, Ian.

Hijacking my own thread, I'd forgotten WBPS did things like putting Anschutz barrels on HWs. Anyone ever have one of those?

A friend of mine has a WBPS 335. I couldn't wait to have a go with it...oh dear...not that impressed sorry to say and it was a full custom job. Mach 1.5

Interesting. My March 1985 copy of Sporting Air Rifle includes a test of the Webley Omega, and a round up of 12 months worth of rifle tests, including the RWS45, HW80 and 77, FWB Sport, Airmasters Sport, Annie 335, Kestock Sharp Ace. Most accurate of the bunch was the as-yet unnamed WBPS Anschutz custom 335 - .19" groups at 25 yards with Mount Star/Beeman Silver jets.

Interesting. My March 1985 copy of Sporting Air Rifle includes a test of the Webley Omega, and a round up of 12 months worth of rifle tests, including the RWS45, HW80 and 77, FWB Sport, Airmasters Sport, Annie 335, Kestock Sharp Ace. Most accurate of the bunch was the as-yet unnamed WBPS Anschutz custom 335 - .19" groups at 25 yards with Mount Star/Beeman Silver jets.
    Pretty impressive. And it does make me wonder if the seemingly better manufactured pellets these days could even.improve upon.that in.the right hands?
    When I had my eye in (too many years ago) I could produce groups that would definitely beat what I could turn out with my HW80 all day long
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    A friend of mine has a WBPS 335. I couldn't wait to have a go with it...oh dear...not that impressed sorry to say and it was a full custom job. Mach 1.5
    In that case I may well have been disappointed. And I guess that perhaps back in those days they may not have been undertaking quite as extensive work as are undertaken these days on full blown works to converted springers?
    Thats blown my dream there
    Dave

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Thanks, Dave. Sadly, the old lug was not included.

How easy is the conversion to a PTFE seal?
    What is with the PTFE? Has someone got shares in T.R.Robb? Or is it the Brexit making everyone party like its 1987? PTFE can be slammy, deformy, has a high thermal expansion coefficient and looks like a suspension bush from a cheap sports kit. It has zero tolerance for cylinder variagies.

Get yourself a proper parachute seal on it, you can get the converter thing and the seal from Vortek. Buy American like Mr Trump says and make yourself a true Patriot.

Here is their UK supplier ... e-mail him for a quote on an adaptor and seal, I think it was £16 last time.

http://www.agrtuning.co.uk/

Degrease the piston and screw, put a dab of loctite on the threads, screw on the adaptor and massage the parachute into place. Bob's your lucky Uncle.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 05-05-2017 at 08:53 PM.