Thread: Pre-war airguns with safeties?

Pre-war airguns with safeties?

I was in a discussion on another forum about vintage airguns without safeties. I am new to the hobby but were there prewar vintage airguns with safeties? The only one I have in my collection is the Haenel 28-R. I assume there are others?

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I was in a discussion on another forum about vintage airguns without safeties. I am new to the hobby but were there prewar vintage airguns with safeties? The only one I have in my collection is the Haenel 28-R. I assume there are others?
    MGR, rifles early 1900s 2 types spring to mind. pardon the pun.

Interesting question ... did you, or any other person watch a recent episode of 'The Durrells'? The son, not the author one, the one always going off with his air rifle, accidentally fired a shot when he should not have done so. He blamed 'the safety' on the rifle ... but it looked like an early BSA from the 1930s ... I did not think the rifles then had safety catches. Or did some ...?
    Cheers, Phil

Webley Mk1 pistol, Mk1 rifle, early Mk2 Services.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Interesting question ... did you, or any other person watch a recent episode of 'The Durrells'? The son, not the author one, the one always going off with his air rifle, accidentally fired a shot when he should not have done so. He blamed 'the safety' on the rifle ... but it looked like an early BSA from the 1930s ... I did not think the rifles then had safety catches. Or did some ...?
    Cheers, Phil
    Not to my knowledge did any of the BSAs, Phil.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Cheers, Phil
    Hi Phill,

It was a 1929 BSA No1 Standard. I've handled the prop used in the production and it was a nice example, which shoots well. I hope to picture it in my AGW column in the near future.

Kond regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Not to my knowledge did any of the BSAs, Phil.
    I think they had a Patent pending on a design of satety catch (shotgun style on the trigger block) but I thing the outbreak of war possibly prevented them from putting it into production.

Lakey

German/Czech pre-war military trainers pretty much all had safety switches to mimic the firearm counterpart. For the American side, Benjamin rifles & pistols had safeties from sometime in the 30's.

Don R.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    One of possibly the earliest, simplest and most ingenious safety catches was that designed by Frank Clarke for his last version Titan pistol, circa 1923. The safety was automatically applied once the gun was cocked and was released by squeezing the grip while taking aim. Yes, the Titans were rather primitive guns, but you have to admit that a safety that needed no knobs to turn or buttons to press and just did the job without any involvement on the part of the shooter was pretty clever.

Diana Model 30 and I think the very rare Model 54 ( memory gone ), the one that looks like a big Webley mk3

Webley Mark one rifle
    The pics of mine show one
    Not the easiest to use as you have to turn it but amasing that it was in place 100 years ago
    Shown rear of this phot
    http://s253.photobucket.com/user/d20...ckeng.jpg.html

A version of the Ansonia had a brass thumb button safety at the back of the trigger block. They were made by MGR before the first world war. 1914-18 for us limeys.