Thread: Airsporter S Mk1 refurbishing

Airsporter S Mk1 refurbishing

Hi Chaps. I'm currently rebuilding an old .22 Airsporter S Mk1 and would really appreciate some help from those of you who know more about them than I do (most of you I'd imagine!).

What's the best way to go about servicing the internals? I've been looking at the tuning kits from Chambers, but I'm sure there are others available too? What would be the best choice? I want to get it up as near the legal limit as possible or over - there's an FAC slot available for it with it's owner so that's no bother, but I don't know if it will go far enough over to be worth it or whether I should aim for around 11.5 and leave it at that?

It's a general pest control gun that I'm fixing up for a mate. It's got a bit of sentimental value to him so I'd like to do it properly.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Big guns, little guns and others in between...

Quote Originally Posted by njc110381 View Post
    Hi Chaps. I'm currently rebuilding an old .22 Airsporter S Mk1 and would really appreciate some help from those of you who know more about them than I do (most of you I'd imagine!).

What's the best way to go about servicing the internals? I've been looking at the tuning kits from Chambers, but I'm sure there are others available too? What would be the best choice? I want to get it up as near the legal limit as possible or over - there's an FAC slot available for it with it's owner so that's no bother, but I don't know if it will go far enough over to be worth it or whether I should aim for around 11.5 and leave it at that?

It's a general pest control gun that I'm fixing up for a mate. It's got a bit of sentimental value to him so I'd like to do it properly.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    I'm no expert, despite my user name, but I would think you will find it quite difficult to get it up to just below the limit. These guns are usually happiest at around 10.5 ~ 11.0. If you do exceed the limit I doubt it will be by enough to justify it and once its on FAC it will have to remain so and hence will be devalued - if that matters to your mate.

Because they don't really lend themselves to tuning (up - not smoothness) , the Chambers kit will probably be as good as anything, especially if it includes the required lubes.

Lots of far more knowledgeable folk than I will be along shortly, I'm sure.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

What he said.

And, unless you are an RFD, you could find yourself on the wrong side of the law in increasing your friends rifle over 12, even if he has it entered onto his FAC.

But, basically, Airsporters make 10-12 ft/lbs. They can't easily be made to go much higher - and all the ways I can think of would almost certainly result in something unpleasant and not very accurate to shoot.

I always find the standard Airsporter/Mercury piston heads give too much crush on the O ring so producing a lot of friction requiring an overly strong spring to get the piston moving.
    By deepening the piston groove the O ring crush and friction can be reduced enabling a softer spring to be used.

I always chrono .22" Airsporters with Napier Power Hunter pellets now as they seem to give the highest energy figures.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I always find the standard Airsporter/Mercury piston heads give too much crush on the O ring so producing a lot of friction requiring an overly strong spring to get the piston moving.
    By deepening the piston groove the O ring crush and friction can be reduced enabling a softer spring to be used.

I always chrono .22" Airsporters with Napier Power Hunter pellets now as they seem to give the highest energy figures.

All the best Mick
    Hi Mick,

Do you find they perform OK in the older models with true 0.22 barrels? Would be good to have another viable pellet for the old girls!
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    Hi Mick,

Do you find they perform OK in the older models with true 0.22 barrels? Would be good to have another viable pellet for the old girls!
    Have you tried Crossman premiers or FTT in that barrel Airsporter?

Who makes the Napier pellets? Are they yet another re-badged JSB or H&N?

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    Have you tried Crossman premiers or FTT in that barrel Airsporter?
    I don't think I have, but I've got a box of 1200 premiers somewhere, so I'll give them a go on the next outing. Thanks.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    Hi Mick,

I shall have a little play with them next weekend and report back, Paul.

I always run a chrono string with Napiers in .22" Airsporters as they always seem to be the most consistent pellet I have and give the highest power figures.

There could be other pellets in the 15 - 16 grain range that work well but I haven't tried them all.

All the best Mick

Thanks chaps. You've given me some great info to work with. I'll leave it as standard. Just replace the standard spring, seals and relube etc.

I have a good RFD friend who could sort the technicalities, but it sounds like I'd be silly to try anyway.

Thanks again, just the info I was looking for.
    Big guns, little guns and others in between...