Thread: heavy tar

heavy tar

if you have actually used maccari heavy tar please let me know your opinion. only if you used it. regards pete

Good. Used sparingly. It sticks like s**t to a blanket.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    thanks for that

IIRC someone once told me it was just some form of anti fling open gear grease?
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Telephonepete View Post
    if you have actually used maccari heavy tar please let me know your opinion. only if you used it. regards pete

I've got some, used it to deal twang an LGV which it did but also dropped the power because I used far too much!

The LGV has a new spring and guide now so if I can find it and you want to try the tar, send me a PM, no charge!

All the best
    Rob

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    yeah, i got some years ago. I'd be wary of temp sensitivity due to viscosity changes, but very sticky indeed - almost bitumen like. I just use it in very niche circumstances, e.g. twangy guns where I can't (or can't be bothered) to change the spring guide, and am not fussed about temperature variations. As Rob said, it's so sticky it will rob a bit of power.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I agree bout the stickyness and that its good when used sparingly(like JM says its supposed to be used).

His moly-paste stays put too, ehen applied sparingly on pistons.

NewPaul is offline Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    What's that red 'thick, sticky' stuff I've seen on a few guns ? And, what is its benefits ?
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

Quote Originally Posted by NewPaul View Post
    What's that red 'thick, sticky' stuff I've seen on a few guns ? And, what is its benefits ?
    Silicone grease?
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

red rubber grease? its a thick sticky grease. a nightmare to remove .

or there is red EP2 grease too. its a lithium grease its used in mechanical items to stop rusting and lubricates items that have a long service life and not striped and relubed often. I used to use it on air started motors for offshore compressors
    Last edited by bighit; 27-04-2017 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    red rubber grease?

or there is red EP2 grease too
    Yeah, that's it - red rubber grease as it was referred to, a chap I know swears by it.
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

Yeah, that's it - red rubber grease as it was referred to, a chap I know swears by it.
    very sticky grease. the air starter motor I mentioned above ,we had a guy at work that used it instead of the EP2 in the starters. we used to use a red EP2 but the company got the black coloured one cheaper so started using it. he did not know and found a tin of the red rubber grease and used it. it was so sticky it could stop the motor starting the engine. and we use the easy klean company for our degreaser bath. it did not remove the red rubber grease. it dissolved almost all the other greases we used but red rubber grease laughed at it.

Yep, it's certainly high in viscosity and very sticky, seen it on metal to metal surfaces/linkages on guns and breech locks to seemingly good effect. Just too bloomin' sticky when it gets on your hands !

Yep, it's certainly high in viscosity and very sticky, seen it on metal to metal surfaces/linkages on guns and breech locks to seemingly good effect. Just too bloomin' sticky when it gets on your hands !
    And your clothes saw one guy slather it on another guys boilersuit. came back from the cleaning company same as it went but in a plastic bag. letter said it had covered the staffs hands and the washing machine