Thread: Latest re: Steyr LP50

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Latest re: Steyr LP50

Mornin', folks - I just got this from Steyr Sport UK -

In a message dated 25/04/2017 09:41:34 GMT Daylight Time, steyr.uk@talktalk.net writes:
    Morning,

We have an LP50 that is being looked at to determine that it is self indexing and not self loading.

It is only North Yorkshire police that has an issue at the moment and have told us not to import or sell any.

We will put any further updates on our website if we get any.

Kind Regards,

Helen

Steyr Sport UK,

18 Millers Croft,

Copmanthorpe,

North Yorkshire,

YO23 3TW

Tel - (01904) 705401

Mob - 07752056811

Steyr UK Website - www.steyr-uk.co.uk

My response -

Hi, thanks for the call.

It is my understanding that the pistol is less than 6 ft lbs of m/e.

It does not, therefore, classify as ANY kind of firearm. It is, if you'll forgive the simplistic point of view, nothing more than a very expensive toy gun that shoots a pellet with every squeeze of the trigger. BTW, I have the previous model - the LP5 - recently converted to air.

I'm reliably informed that the Birmingham Proof House refused to countenance putting one to proof as it was not, in their opinion, ANY kind of a firearm. In any event, it does NOT self-load, but it DOES present/index a pellet, STILL in the magazine, into a position to be fired. That is to say, the pellet is NOT inserted into the barrel, as ANY self-loader actually does, but is positioned adjacent to it so that the pressure of air can propel it through the barrel.

Why, with many thousands of these air pistols in use throughout the world with no similar investigations having been carried out, are the air pistol shooters in North Yorkshire being singled out like this?

North Yorkshire constabulary would be better advised to concentrate their gun-hate on the many criminals in their area who use guns of any kind in the commission of their daily activities, rather than persecute owners and prospective owners who are ready to pay upwards of £1500 for a rather posh pop gun.

Let's be blatantly harsh here, folks. How long does it take anybody who is cleared to operate a spoon to see that the pellet actually lines up with the barrel, but does not ENTER the barrel until the air blows it there. C'mon, N. Yorkshire ballistic/forensic service[s]. And in any case, how does it matter? Can you really see Steyr actually MAKING an air pistol at this level that does not comply with the international law?

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 25-04-2017 at 09:39 AM.