Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pellet choice for .22 hw77k

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    Hello, me again!

As I'm picking up my hw77 this weekend I thought I'd get a couple of types of pellet to test in it. I have some superdomes already, and would like to know which others you would suggest - and who could deliver them before Saturday?!

Current possibilities are :-

H&N ftt
    Jws exact
    Falcon accuracy plus

Are weirhauch pellets any good?

Cheers again, Matt
    Trophy's or Superdome
    The HW pellet supposed to be good too, looks very Trophy like. They usually shoot jsb OK but why use 16 grain when Trophy's go flatter just as accurately, and with no deformities usually. Always the top pellet in a 22 HW barrel generally - unless you have a barrel that sends super dome out with much more efficiency, a bit more drop off due to flatter dome, but very good at killing stuff, probably due to flatter dome and sheer size of super domes -
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    My old (MK1) .22 cal 77K shot best with JSB Express, definately edging it over JSB RS.

However, that was only from testing a single tin of each, so the results may well have been reversed with different batches of the same ammo. Such is the black art of pellet testing.

Personally though, unless grouping proves otherwise, I'd stick with lighter weight pellets in a springer. They're often more efficient in a factory standard gun, and generally give a nicer shot cycle.

Modern .22 Superdomes are near the same weight as JSB Express - but they're comparitively crap, with a crap BC. So I wouldn't bother too much with them. Unless they go particularly well in your '77 barrel.

Depends what you want to do. If you only want to do short - medium range plinking, to be fair, most pellets would likely be OK.

Have fun with your '77.
    Blasphemer always found the humble 'dome' more than adequate for most jobs, very rarely find a rifle that struggles to shoot'm well, my TX and 95k both in .177cal spat'm out as accurately as anything else I tried and my .22/TXhc also shoots'm spot on and just shy of the limit (11.8) to boot...

Quote Originally Posted by TORNADOS7 View Post
    Blasphemer always found the humble 'dome' more than adequate for most jobs, very rarely find a rifle that struggles to shoot'm well, my TX and 95k both in .177cal spat'm out as accurately as anything else I tried and my .22/TXhc also shoots'm spot on and just shy of the limit (11.8) to boot...
    Same here.

And I've always been a fan of the 'Domes and, indeed, all my rifles seem to like them in .177 and .22.

What Phil was getting at mainly, though, was the reportedly poor BC and longer range performance compared to some newer designs.

But, if they were THE most accurate pellet in a particular rifle, I'd most certainly use them.

As per many of the above posts, Superdome, H&N FTT, the JSB made selection and I'd also be trialling the Accupells / boxed Premiers, too, although in .22 these can often be tight in some barrels.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

The only reason I'd not choose Superdome in 22 for killing stuff at sensible ranges, is if the barrel shoots better with Trophy, which is probably the best overall pellet in my 22 HW & Webley barrels - though Superdome usually is more efficient especially in older barrels. Incidentally the popular Hatsan 900x shoots Superdome better than anything else by a country mile, never look elsewhere if you have one -

I hate lightweight pellets for hunting personally find they do not hold energy well, medium weight 14 - 15.5 seem ideal at uk level, with 13.5 and 16 being too light and too heavy respectively. I've taken some effective shots with AA 16 grainers , but would never choose them unless they were the only accurate pellet

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post

Are weirhauch pellets any good?

Cheers again, Matt
    Yes there f&t pellets are excellent in my 77,99 and 95.

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    The only reason I'd not choose Superdome in 22 for killing stuff at sensible ranges, is if the barrel shoots better with Trophy, which is probably the best overall pellet in my 22 HW & Webley barrels - though Superdome usually is more efficient especially in older barrels. Incidentally the popular Hatsan 900x shoots Superdome better than anything else by a country mile, never look elsewhere if you have one -

I hate lightweight pellets for hunting personally find they do not hold energy well, medium weight 14 - 15.5 seem ideal at uk level, with 13.5 and 16 being too light and too heavy respectively. I've taken some effective shots with AA 16 grainers , but would never choose them unless they were the only accurate pellet
    Bear in mind a 13.4gr .22 is still 4.96gr heavier than an 8.44gr .177, so to say any .22 is lightweight is stretching reality a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    Bear in mind a 13.4gr .22 is still 4.96gr heavier than an 8.44gr .177, so to say any .22 is lightweight is stretching reality a bit!
    Still lightweight for 22, same as a 40 grain 223 being lightweight compared to a 69 grain 223

Wow what a lot of quick responses!

Ordered ftt and the jsbs last night from the sponsor, tried to get the weirhauch too but they are out of stock.
    I'll try some of these first and then make a 5.52 order

Cheers, Matt

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    Still lightweight for 22, same as a 40 grain 223 being lightweight compared to a 69 grain 223
    Yet still almost 5gr heavier than an average weight .177 which many people use so not light for a 12ftlb projectile?

The notion of retained energy is interesting as when both are fired at 11.8ftlbs, chairgun notes at 50yds an FTT 14.8gr carries 7.9ftlbs and 489fps, a Falcon accuracy 13.5gr carries 8ftlbs and 515fps!

Light weight in this context is rather relative but even a 13.5gr Falcon has plenty of energy to knock down a UK pest, and has a flatter trajectory to boot!

Really comes down to which groups better.
    Last edited by Artfull-Bodger; 26-04-2017 at 07:40 PM.

H&nftt and air arms field the air arms are good at sub 25 yards and the h&n from 25 to 40