Thread: I think this is the rarest Hy-score?

I think this is the rarest Hy-score?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/640462008

This is with one of the better dealers in the US so no bargain. But chrome edition with white handle. Unfortunately it's been shot quite a bit. It's a repeater not sure if that makes it more or less rare? But it won't fit in my rare case.

I always thought that the 3 barrelled snubby repeater was the rarest US Hy Score - stand to be corrected though !

I have a couple of white handled Hy Scores, one is a US model and the other a UK version.

Need to photograph them together whilst this thread is still in my mind

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I always thought that the 3 barrelled snubby repeater was the rarest US Hy Score - stand to be corrected though !

I have a couple of white handled Hy Scores, one is a US model and the other a UK version.

You could be right, I know I've been looking for the three barrel for quite a while!

Anyone else got an 805 pistol?

In it's box as well!

It's the chrome that makes it rare. But pics of a hy-score are always a good thing.

Any Chrome plated Hy-Score is extremely rare; this is the first one I've seen in the old style box. I have one but it's in a later box and is a single shot.

Rarity: For a year or so, Hy-Score advertised every version as being available in Chrome, so, it's possible that almost any version could be found in Chrome. In any case, any Chromed Hy-Score is near the top of the rarity list.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    Any Chrome plated Hy-Score is extremely rare; this is the first one I've seen in the old style box. I have one but it's in a later box and is a single shot.

Rarity: For a year or so, Hy-Score advertised every version as being available in Chrome, so, it's possible that almost any version could be found in Chrome. In any case, any Chromed Hy-Score is near the top of the rarity list.
    l also have cromed one in the later box in the rarer .177 single shot, but l do have a repeter mechanism with a .22 barrel.

As a specific model, yes, the snub nosed model is the rarest -especially desirable with +2 barrels and box. However, at least here in the US, from my experience, the chrome models -any chrome model- are rarer by some degree.

There are, per the catalogs, 5 different chrome models: 800C-177/22, 802C-177/22, 803C. Per the catalog, the BB versions of the 800&802 were not offered in chrome. So, of the 5 different chrome models, almost certainly the 803C would reign supreme; no example has ever come to my attention.

Note: the 802 was introduced in 1949 (according to catalog) and came in the chrome version. 1949 - 195X is where I would date the red boxed 802C being offered.

I have a chrome Hy Score in .22 in vgc.

Despite the attention of three expert repairers and new spring from the States it won't put a hole in cardboard.

Annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    I have a chrome Hy Score in .22 in vgc.

Despite the attention of three expert repairers and new spring from the States it won't put a hole in cardboard.

Annoying.
    Sounds like it is missing the white grease on the outside of the barrel. This grease is essential in that it provides the air seal between the piston head and the barrel Without it, no Hy Score can put a hole in cardboard. Something few "experts" are aware of. Easy to check, if the barrel is not loaded up with grease, that's the problem. Very common thing to happen.

Though not true of a chrome one, the Hy-Score over here is so common and cheap not sure a repair beyond lubrication makes sense? If I had a chrome one with real issues, I'd buy a common blue one I knew worked and exchange the entire mechanism. The only chrome part is the tube? Maybe I'm missing something? I'm a bit of a rookie.
    Last edited by 45flint; 28-04-2017 at 11:52 AM.

I think we went through the white grease thing but I will check.