Thread: RWS45 vs Original 45

RWS45 vs Original 45

Evening all. Just been playing around with these. Essentially the same gun but with very different looks and handling. Im not exactly sure where i sit on this yet as the RWS is new to me. Possibly horses for courses.

Does anyone have experience of both? Which do you prefer and why?

Morning Drew. I have two RWS 45s in each calibre and also a refurbished Original 45 in .22.
    I have to say that aesthetically I was always sold on the RWS version over the Original due to the cheekpiece and pressed chequering. However as bland as the Original stock is it does handle very well and I don't think there is much between them performance wise as they are (obviously)identical actions.
    I like a few others have pondered why Diana clung onto leather piston heads on this model when (i think) they had gone over to synthetic on other models. If they had ditched leather it would have increased power for the export markets and reduced springing requirements for the UK market and perhaps made for a sweeter firing cycle and less bicep work on cocking.
    All the same a well maintained example is a gun which can still more than hold it's own with many of today's offerings.
    Ive heard that early examples of the 45 seem to have superior bluing as well.
    Dave

Thanks for that, Dave. I do agree that the Original 45 does handle nicely and I think it would be a better gun for field work. I find the shape of both stocks spot on for offhand shooting and when in the typical field target sitting position I think the RWS comes into its own. The only bad point for me is that I find the pistol grip overly large on the RWS.
    I have so far resisted the switch to synthetic piston seals in any of my 45's but I am curious as to how one thus equipped would shoot.