Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hw99s, a few questions.

hw99s, a few questions.

Good day gents, I've been lucky enough to get myself a spanking new hw99s, I have a few questions to ask.
    Having looked around I have decided on a nikko Stirling panamax 3-9x40 ao ir scope as they seem to tick the boxes and don't seem to have accumulated a great deal of negative comments in the reviews that I have read whilst choosing.
    I'm going for a forty mm scope as I want it to sit as close to the open sighted rifle as possible, this brings me to my first question, can someone with this scope please give me a diameter for the housing for objective lens please, then I can select the appropriate minimum height mounts, thanks in advance.

I have just bought the exact same scope, post the exact dimension(s) you need and I will get you them this afternoon.

I'm just after the outside diameter of the objective lens's housing for now, the length was the other issue, but that is shown on nikko's website.

How much did you pay? I spotted it for £89.99 plus postage last night, which looks pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by the viking View Post
    I'm just after the outside diameter of the objective lens's housing for now, the length was the other issue, but that is shown on nikko's website.

How much did you pay? I spotted it for £89.99 plus postage last night, which looks pretty good.
    Okay, I'll get that for you in about an hour. £95.00 posted.

Okay;

The objective diameter is = 51mm
    The objective diameter plus the raised grip area is = 52mm plus approx .2 of a mm
    The total diameter including protective cap is = 56mm minus approx .2 of a mm

hth

Brilliant thankyou, I shall order scope and mounts tonight.

Right chaps, next question,

My lovely new little hw99s is somewhat snappy and verrry twangy,as I've bought the gun new I would be prepared to spend the necessary to have it professionally tuned if it is a worthwhile thing to do, the other option is a home tune and a drop in kit. Can anyone let me know roughly how much a professional tune would cost? and is it worth the extra money?

Again, thanks in advance.

hw99s, a few questions.

I wouldn't bother, a strip de-burr & a tinbum guide & tophat for the original spring , with a careful re-lube would do the same, a lot cheaper.

Wonkey donkey (Dave Price) probably one of the best spring gun tuners ,if not the best IMO

.177 or .22 ?
    My .177 is snappy after its had a polish and a tbt kit but then its a .177 and I like snappy
    The .22 can be made very sedate and a lot less snappy .

Quote Originally Posted by villaman View Post
    Wonkey donkey (Dave Price) probably one of the best spring gun tuners ,if not the best IMO
    It was the wonky donkey tune that I was actually thinking of as I've read some very favourable reports on his work with this particular model, but I'm open to other suggestions. I'm hoping that there may be someone with some experience of these pro tuners that can give me a little info on their services.

It was the wonky donkey tune that I was actually thinking of as I've read some very favourable reports on his work with this particular model, but I'm open to other suggestions. I'm hoping that there may be someone with some experience of these pro tuners that can give me a little info on their services.
    I had my HW95 tuned by Dave price and i thought it was good out of the box ,but my god what a difference after Dave done his work , short stroked , piston buttoned one of Daves spring and guides , I would say it's far better than my SFS IMP.
    I also had one of my HW97 tuned by another tuner and know way i would recommend him to my worst enemy

Right chaps, next question,

My lovely new little hw99s is somewhat snappy and verrry twangy,as I've bought the gun new I would be prepared to spend the necessary to have it professionally tuned if it is a worthwhile thing to do, the other option is a home tune and a drop in kit. Can anyone let me know roughly how much a professional tune would cost? and is it worth the extra money?

Again, thanks in advance.
    Sandwell field sports ....Tony Wall ....is a master tuner of the 99 his favourite springer.
    The .177 after the 65 quid is a dream to shoot with no hint of twang or snappiness....3/8 group at 25 yds
    Someone at my club made a 1/2 inch group at 40 yds which is stunning for a springer.

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    Sandwell field sports ....Tony Wall ....is a master tuner of the 99 his favourite springer.
    The .177 after the 65 quid is a dream to shoot with no hint of twang or snappiness....3/8 group at 25 yds
    Someone at my club made a 1/2 inch group at 40 yds which is stunning for a springer.
    Sfs is actually the next on the list, I was thinking of asking Dave price whether he could also screw cut the barrel for a silencer and if he can't going to sfs to have it 'imped', is it really just sixty five quid for an sfs tune? (Obviously barrel and silencer would cost more)

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    sandwell field sports ....tony wall ....is a master tuner of the 99 his favourite springer.
    someone at my club made a 1/2 inch group at 40 yds which is stunning for a springer.
    i dont think he is i have had an imp that galled and he denies its possible after the delrin insert, on the other forum someone has just bought a second hand imp that is galling also so while i think he is a good tuner, not with THE 99. Regards pete