Thread: Catch .22

Catch .22

For years I have been doing my target practice and competitions with a .177, having sold my last .22 over 5 years ago.

Recently I acquired a Webley Vulcan, a Tomahawk and enough bits to build a Hw97 all in .22.

First to be sorted is the Vulcan which now has a gas ram and trick piston , it's firing FTT's at 575fps and I have been down the range going through the range drops and pellet tests, and I have to say it's been good fun!

The greater drops at range means I have to get the range estimation more precise, the slow trajectory means I can watch the shots in flight when using the shiny premiers and damn are .22's easier to pick out of the pouch with my sausage fingers!

Forgot how much fun this calibre is

My preferred springer calibre, though mostly for nostalgic 1980s reasons.

Will be very interested to hear how you get on with the Tomahawk - it's one of my favourite air rifles.

The Tomahawk is one of the early 100mm stroke jobs, as standard it's really quite sluggish as you could imagine at 12ftlbs for a rifle designed for FAC.

I'm probably going to gas ram it (all my webleys have rams) and reduce the stroke to 80mm or so, but I'm considering doing a 24mm sleeve bore conversion, I will have to contact Laurie at Custom Air seals to have a set of 24mm piston seals made but I'm very tempted to go this route!

So is mine, but against all odds I find it is really easy to shoot well with. It must just suit me.

The V-Mach tune on the later ones short-stroked it, giving swept volume more like a Longbow. Never shot one, but by all accounts they are very good - they certainly sell quickly and for a fair whack when they come up!

How do you get on with the comb height, I had to fit a riser on the scope rails to bring the scope up to my eye line?

I notice on the Longbow the comb is lower?

As you're well aware, AB, the .22 gives a sweeter firing cycle in a springer as compared to the .177 running at the same energy level, which is why many a springer shooter sticks with the larger calibre. As long as we're not using really heavy / tight pellets.

And, as you say, these bigger pellets are so much easier to handle, especially when your pinkies are freezing!

I was having a plink with my recently acquired Gamo .22 break barrel earlier and it really showed this off to brilliant effect.....you don't even have to be looking at the bore....cock the gun, hold barrel, virtually lob the pellet in, return barrel....fire! Easy peasy.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    but I'm considering doing a 24mm sleeve bore conversion, I will have to contact Laurie at Custom Air seals to have a set of 24mm piston seals made but I'm very tempted to go this route!
    When I did my 24mm 80, I just span down a 25mm Aussie seal.. it's still going strong... mine is running a shade over 80mm stroke, and makes power easy in .177
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    How do you get on with the comb height, I had to fit a riser on the scope rails to bring the scope up to my eye line?

I notice on the Longbow the comb is lower?

I'm fine with it with a 40mm in a Sportsmatch 1-PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    When I did my 24mm 80, I just span down a 25mm Aussie seal.. it's still going strong... mine is running a shade over 80mm stroke, and makes power easy in .177
    I was going to downsize a seal first to see if that was workable, then order a set from Laurie, but if yours is lasting it may be more cost effective to just resize.

Did you use a HW type seal? the Webley piston is open face seal so as I'm making a new piston to reduce stroke anyway, might as well make a 24mm!

Mike.