Thread: New old airsporter

New old airsporter

Got me an early airsporter today, delivered too (thanks Inproved / Steve) and in .177.
    Either a late Mk2 or early Mk3 as Hiller and Knibbs appear to differ in opinion on EF serials if I've read up correctly, must double check, it certainly looks the same as my GE Mk2.
    Side tracking for a moment the GE I that mention is the one with it's barrel joint braised mentioned in another post and I noticed today in Hillers 4th edition at the bottom of page 47 & again on page 48 he mentions braised barrels casually as if it's a know thing?? I've long assumed mines had surgery.

Anyway this new arrival is quite a presentable and it's one with the Italian Sile stock so it's not 3 piece or having the bulge in front of the wrist grip, which is first in my collection as is .177 both items having been on the wish list for a while.
    Oh and it's taken most the day to do the pics with the poxy photobucket thing I still use.

Steve

I've had Good deals & great info from many in this forum.

It's a Mk 2 alright and not a Mk3. Looks very nice. Does it have full length scope grooves?
    BASC

Quote Originally Posted by DEAN C. View Post
    It's a Mk 2 alright and not a Mk3. Looks very nice. Does it have full length scope grooves?
    Yes it does, other than the stock shape being just very slightly different the gun itself is identical.
    Steve

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    That looks very tidy, if it doesn't have the Airsporter etching on the top of the air cylinder then it's likely refinished - but what the matter? - it's nice anyway! I have a refinished Mk1 just like it I bought from a member off here - just lovely to own! - enjoy!

atb
    ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Yes it is refinished as the barrel is good all over but the etching is missing and you'd think the cylinder would be as good otherwise. No matter, had to have it, you know how it is
    Steve

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Quote Originally Posted by stevegv8 View Post
    Yes it is refinished as the barrel is good all over but the etching is missing and you'd think the cylinder would be as good otherwise. No matter, had to have it, you know how it is
    'Airsporteritis' - yes, a few of us on here do!

It's just amazing how good these older rifles can 'scrub up' given some love and attention!
    I know Airsporters are not the best rifles around by a long chalk, but the quality is there (for the price) in these older models - it's a 'keeper mate' but make sure you use it too!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Trevor Morris is sending a lovely old Mk1 to live with me........;-)

http://s864.photobucket.com/user/cin...5q7v.jpeg.html

Love that tapered barrel....Trev Adams

Quote Originally Posted by cinedux View Post
    http://s864.photobucket.com/user/cin...5q7v.jpeg.html
    Love that tapered barrel....Trev Adams
    From one deserving home to another
    Is it the very early MK1 Trevor?

I like that Sile stock stevegv8; a lovely gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    'Airsporteritis' - yes, a few of us on here do!

It's just amazing how good these older rifles can 'scrub up' given some love and attention!
    I know Airsporters are not the best rifles around by a long chalk, but the quality is there (for the price) in these older models - it's a 'keeper mate' but make sure you use it too!

ASM
    Have just picked up a mk2,
    Trigger spring missing, but a safety pin cut and bent works well, I know knibbs has them in but it can't work any better than mine does.
    Also the front sight a 41 was making it shoot low at highest setting on back sight at 10 yards.
    A piece of sheet lead, used original as a template then pared it down with a knife, , sprayed it black and fitted forsight cover.
    Now spot on at 20 yards and still got the the original sight in my box.
    Nothing points as nice as the MK1/11. ☺️
    Looks nice alongside my 1954. Club.John
    snarepeg.