Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Barn Gun...

A webley tracker is a nice barn gun. Used mine a few times years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by crowbar View Post
    What about a HW35E ?

He will be able to bayonet them !
    He wants a barn gun and not a long barrel with a fiddly breach lock. Barn guns are short. Have to be fast to reload as in rats situatuon. Hw35 is long and a fiddly to reload fast.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    .25 HW80, the correct answer to all spring guns questions is an HW80
    I laughed !

But where is the fun in going for the one always hassle free gun that can set up any way for any purpose with total reliability and accuracy (bar the dodgy late HW barrels, if that's not now been sorted) when we can all torture ourselves attempting to fix manufacturers design faults .....

Best post I've read for ages !

I picked up an old non scribbled on MK11 80 in very decent nik complete with irons from a local gunshop for £180 last week well chuffed, will outlast me
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    I laughed !

But where is the fun in going for the one always hassle free gun that can set up any way for any purpose with total reliability and accuracy (bar the dodgy late HW barrels, if that's not now been sorted) when we can all torture ourselves attempting to fix manufacturers design faults .....

Best post I've read for ages !

I picked up an old non scribbled on MK11 80 in very decent nik complete with irons from a local gunshop for £180 last week well chuffed, will outlast me
    Barrels accounted for a small batch of HW100/110 which were recalled, no issues since.

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    Barrels accounted for a small batch of HW100/110 which were recalled, no issues since.
    No mate, plenty of dodgy springer barrels in 22 and 20 prior to that -
    HC know but just say they group 'within specification' then go all tight lipped -

News to me I have 9 HW barrels here all group superbly, I have serviced and tested over 50 HW rifles and again all fine, the barrel issue was a recent batch and recalled so where exactly are the "plenty of" dodgy barrels and who had them?

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    News to me I have 9 HW barrels here all group superbly, I have serviced and tested over 50 HW rifles and again all fine, the barrel issue was a recent batch and recalled so where exactly are the "plenty of" dodgy barrels and who had them?
    I'm sure you must know best You certainly sound sure so it must be correct

Must say, I've honestly never owned an iffy HW....

I'm sure you must know best You certainly sound sure so it must be correct
    Well you have made a statement claiming- "plenty of dodgy springer barrels in 22 and 20 prior to that", you don't say what the problem was or explained what hull cartridge know or how you came about this claim, I'm not having a go I'm asking what this problem is and who had it?

I can only go by my own experiences and other than the batch that was recalled I have not had any knowledge of dodgy HW barrels and I have been using them and fitting them for 30 years, the 9 barrels I have here span decades of production my oldest being a early 1980 77, they all group fine, its simply a case of finding the right pellet, that's not to say barrel quality does not vary of course it does but "dodgy barrels" and "hull cartridge know" suggests a cover up over a quality problem I have never heard of?

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    Must say, I've honestly never owned an iffy HW....
    Me too.

And the vast majority are not pellet fussy either and shoot a wide range of pellets very accurately.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Me too.

And the vast majority are not pellet fussy either and shoot a wide range of pellets very accurately.
    You two are jammy beggars then.

The last two 95s we bought had the bad spring curse!
    The 100 I bought had the stock made by Wolverine.
    Weihrauch QC is not good, not good at all!

But as I said, when they are good they are very very good!

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    A good few years back, I helped out a "pro pest controller" from time to time with the said, "Barn Work" using a Lightning Mk. 1, a Webley Vulcan KS and a Fenman all in ,22 cal. and they were fine, the Fenman especially.
    But for no other reason in that I had them at the time.
    In spite of this, I would have thought the budget sum of £200 is a bit over the top and maybe a suitable combo could be had at half the price (or a tads more) considering the very short range the user states he intends to shoot, something maybe from the SMK, Gamo, Hatsan, Cometa ranges ?

It's his money of course and he has every right to buy whatever he wishes, its only my take on it afterall !
    What I would recommend though (if he hasnt already or contemplating it) is fit a good quality sling to the rifle as occasionally there may be a deal of ladder climbing or similar to be done, I had to anyway and again in certain situations, the wearing of a "hard hat" is advisable to protect against timber beams, roof members and RSJ's etc.
    But I kid you not, I once had a shot feral fall some twenty odd feet and hit me on the head despite ducking !
    I was wearing a "hard lid" fortunetly but impact was still a shock !

As for ammo, I used RWS Hollow Point, Bisley Pest Control and Bisley Magnums, all great at short range with good killing ability !
    Last edited by Blackrider; 01-05-2017 at 01:55 PM.
    “An airgun or two”………

I would guess new only would = tax deductible
    so the HW or Diana at that price,
    S/H if shop bought is an option,

No mate, plenty of dodgy springer barrels in 22 and 20 prior to that -
    HC know but just say they group 'within specification' then go all tight lipped -
    John Budd. had problems with a Springer barrel here http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....rel-conclusion

RW; I've just seen on the HW site that the little 30S is now available with a synthetic stock.

Even more yummy for a barn gun?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!