Thread: Air Gauges

Air Gauges

Morning all,

Do any of you fine fellows have a preferred place for air rifle air gauges diferant makers have them on the front of the cylinder on the side of the stock and finally on the underside of the stock.

I prefer mine on the underside and can not abide having one at the end of the cylinder it spoils the look.

I have a Daystate MK4 in my rifle cabinet that is truly amazing rife that died a sad death when I tripped up and smashed the LCD screen most annoying is it was like being in an car auction with bunnies appearing every where. No point in continuing the bunnie removal as I could not trust my mental capacity of counting the shot. No need to make an animal suffer. It will be sent to the Daystate Hostpital for repair.

I had a HW with the fitted gauge on the end of the cylinder and found it a right pain having to look at the front end to check air and add the reflective issue at night so nope on that one.

I can live with gauges on the side as tilting the rifle is ok. But for me the underside is preferred.

I suppose I'm being slightly annual about it.

So what do you all think.

Neither of my Rapids has a gauge, I keep a note of the fill date & count the magazines used, old fashioned pen & paper kept in the cabinet

Must say I hate the look of gauges on the end of the cylinder & would never buy a rifle with one.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Some of my rifles have them some don't.

Cant say I have a preference on location.
    Master Debater

I wonder how people got on for 30 odd years without gauges.
    You should know how any shots you will get, and how often would get get through 10 shots hunting, plinking different you see the pellets dropping.

Guages are not accurate anyway have a look at the specs, prone to packing up and bad practice to rely on them.

Like others on the thread I've owned plenty of pcp rifles with and without a pressure gauge.

I do usually prefer a pcp with a gauge although it's not crucial and I don't find the position a big deal.

Only once have I ever been caught out on a pcp rifle without a gauge

Was years ago and after topping up the rifle on a Wednesday 3 days later went to my permission expecting the rifle to be fully charged as I had filled it 3 days earlier so after setting up and getting ready to check zero first shot cycled and trigger pressed then click just hammer spring noise wtf!!

No sodding air the bugger had a big leak and had lost a full charge in 3 days

Hunting session ruined and no back up rifle present

Learned a valuable lesson that day and had the rifle had a gauge it would of highlighted that all was not well especially before it went in the gunslip

location makes no difference to me.the look of the rifle is not spoiled as you can not see it when you shoot it

Quote Originally Posted by sandyman1963 View Post
    Morning all,

Do any of you fine fellows have a preferred place for air rifle air gauges diferant makers have them on the front of the cylinder on the side of the stock and finally on the underside of the stock.

I prefer mine on the underside and can not abide having one at the end of the cylinder it spoils the look.

I have a Daystate MK4 in my rifle cabinet that is truly amazing rife that died a sad death when I tripped up and smashed the LCD screen most annoying is it was like being in an car auction with bunnies appearing every where. No point in continuing the bunnie removal as I could not trust my mental capacity of counting the shot. No need to make an animal suffer. It will be sent to the Daystate Hostpital for repair.

I had a HW with the fitted gauge on the end of the cylinder and found it a right pain having to look at the front end to check air and add the reflective issue at night so nope on that one.

I can live with gauges on the side as tilting the rifle is ok. But for me the underside is preferred.

I suppose I'm being slightly annual about it.

So what do you all think.
    imo the LCD screen & battery are more of a pointless addition to an air rifle than where the gauge ( if needed at all ) is fitted