Thread: 'Whack it with a book'

Thumbs up 'Whack it with a book'

I've had my .177 HW97kt for a short while now and, I really do like using it. But, as is the way with these things, I couldn't help having a tinker with it

I had a look around at some of the options available and, finally settled on Nicks Maxi Pro kit.
    I'd had one of these kits before in my TX and I loved how it handled.

Now, I've realised that I really don't enjoy stripping and reassembling this 97 - I find those pins to be a right ballache. I only wanted to do this once but, due to my lack of finesse, I managed to smash the piston extension
    So, I put the thing back together and, ordered 2 more (just in case).

Then, I discovered that one does not simply purchase from Mr Bum - one recieves a service
    When it comes to air rifle tuning, I do feel a bit like remedial kid in class - Nick was patient and helpful

The best advice I was given was, warm the new extension in hot water, put it on the worktop, hold the piston over it and, whack it with a book. Well blow me - the flippin' thing snapped on perfectly first time

So, I fitted the red Aussie seal that the missus got me as part of my birthday present - after a bit of resizing in the drill, I got the internals all lubed up and refitted - even though I haven't got 3 hands to work on those effing pins.

I put it in a lovely CS800 stock that I recently got from Paul (Mach 1.5) and, fitted one of Nicks 10mm brass safety catches.

Because all of this is new ground for me (I've only stripped a TX before), I've left the seal a little on the large side in the hope that it will bed in after a few hundred shots. Also, I didn't want to risk taking too much off and cocking it up completely

I managed to put a few test shots through it last night - and the result is, I'm one happy 97 owner

After moving the butt pad down a little, it comes up on aim perfectly for me and, the shot cycle is now just how I like it - a bit more subdued, it still feels like a springer but, it's quick and the recoil seems to be straight back.

For anyone else with a similar level of inexperience that would like to have a go at their own rifle, my advice is - Do it.
    It can be frustrating at times but, when you get it all back together and, you're happy with those first few test shots - you'll be glad you did

Nick - thanks again for your help and advice.
    Paul - again, thanks for a good deal on the stock.

Atb

All of the above.

Thumbs up

Sounds excellent.
    Pics?

Do wish you'd stop talking about how nice that stock is though! : Mach 1.5 is only up the road from me and I saw that ad and thought "Oo, I could really do with that CS800 for the Chieftain" but I'd just spent my hobby money . Next thing you'd gone and bought the b*gger!

Will have to console myself with one of Nick's short strokes for my other 80 soon instead to go with the Aussie seal and the new guides that are sitting waiting for it ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonjon79 View Post
    I've had my .177 HW97kt for a short while now and, I really do like using it. But, as is the way with these things, I couldn't help having a tinker with it

I had a look around at some of the options available and, finally settled on Nicks Maxi Pro kit.
    I'd had one of these kits before in my TX and I loved how it handled.

Now, I've realised that I really don't enjoy stripping and reassembling this 97 - I find those pins to be a right ballache. I only wanted to do this once but, due to my lack of finesse, I managed to smash the piston extension
    So, I put the thing back together and, ordered 2 more (just in case).

Then, I discovered that one does not simply purchase from Mr Bum - one recieves a service
    When it comes to air rifle tuning, I do feel a bit like remedial kid in class - Nick was patient and helpful

The best advice I was given was, warm the new extension in hot water, put it on the worktop, hold the piston over it and, whack it with a book. Well blow me - the flippin' thing snapped on perfectly first time

So, I fitted the red Aussie seal that the missus got me as part of my birthday present - after a bit of resizing in the drill, I got the internals all lubed up and refitted - even though I haven't got 3 hands to work on those effing pins.

I put it in a lovely CS800 stock that I recently got from Paul (Mach 1.5) and, fitted one of Nicks 10mm brass safety catches.

Because all of this is new ground for me (I've only stripped a TX before), I've left the seal a little on the large side in the hope that it will bed in after a few hundred shots. Also, I didn't want to risk taking too much off and cocking it up completely

I managed to put a few test shots through it last night - and the result is, I'm one happy 97 owner

After moving the butt pad down a little, it comes up on aim perfectly for me and, the shot cycle is now just how I like it - a bit more subdued, it still feels like a springer but, it's quick and the recoil seems to be straight back.

For anyone else with a similar level of inexperience that would like to have a go at their own rifle, my advice is - Do it.
    It can be frustrating at times but, when you get it all back together and, you're happy with those first few test shots - you'll be glad you did

Nick - thanks again for your help and advice.
    Paul - again, thanks for a good deal on the stock.

Atb
    id like to take a look at that 97 Jon.., maybe another black cat afternoon soon??
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz72 View Post
    Sounds excellent.
    Pics?

Do wish you'd stop talking about how nice that stock is though! : Mach 1.5 is only up the road from me and I saw that ad and thought "Oo, I could really do with that CS800 for the Chieftain" but I'd just spent my hobby money . Next thing you'd gone and bought the b*gger!

Will have to console myself with one of Nick's short strokes for my other 80 soon instead to go with the Aussie seal and the new guides that are sitting waiting for it ...
    Sorry mate, I'll try not to keep talking about how bloody gorgeous it is

I've never has a CS stock but this one does handle well.

I would put a picture up if I wasn't such a luddite

If you haven't had one of Nicks kits before, I recommend them.

Atb

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    id like to take a look at that 97 Jon.., maybe another black cat afternoon soon??
    Yes mate - I can do either Wednesday or Sunday next week - give me shout when you want to go.

Atb

All of the above.

Steve Pope supplies a little insertion tool for his parachute seals. I was having trouble fitting one of these seals and rang him for guidance as I too were worried I might squash it. After I'd lined it up on the work bench and gave it a smack it caught my finger on way through leaving an impressive black man's pinch. Ouch I won't be doing another one of them any time soon.
    Last edited by derekj; 30-04-2017 at 02:04 PM.

Sorry mate, I'll try not to keep talking about how bloody gorgeous it is

I've never has a CS stock but this one does handle well.

I would put a picture up if I wasn't such a luddite

If you haven't had one of Nicks kits before, I recommend them.

Atb
    I'm just envious is all

I shall however be partaking of Mr Bum's wares in the near future.
    Now, if only someone has an equally nice CS800 kicking around for an 80.....

Nice result Jonjon.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by derekj View Post
    Steve Pope supplies a little insertion tool for his parachute seals. I was having trouble fitting one of these seals and rang him for guidance as I too were worried I might squash it. After I'd lined it up on the work bench and gave it a smack it caught my finger on way through leaving an impressive our black man's pinch. Ouch I won't be doing another one of them any time soon.
    Ooh that's going to smart

Nicks extension was a doddle to fit - when I did it properly

The Aussie seal was a bugger to push on though.

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz72 View Post
    I'm just envious is all

I shall however be partaking of Mr Bum's wares in the near future.
    Now, if only someone has an equally nice CS800 kicking around for an 80.....
    Good luck with the search mate - I hope you manage to find one

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Nice result Jonjon.
    Cheers Tony,

I'm no pro-tuner but, I'm pleased with the results and, best of all, I'm learning all the time

All of the above.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I've left the seal a little on the large side in the hope that it will bed in after a few hundred shots. Also, I didn't want to risk taking too much off and cocking it up completely
    Exactly the right thing too do... resized seals initially wear in and loosen up very, very, quickly, so you have to leave them initially oversize to avoid them going under within half-a-tin of pellets, and the resultant harsh action.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    Exactly the right thing too do... resized seals initially wear in and loosen up very, very, quickly, so you have to leave them initially oversize to avoid them going under within half-a-tin of pellets, and the resultant harsh action.
    Thanks Jon,

I appreciate your input mate. It's nice to know I'm on the right line

Atb.

All of the above.

rgc_swanseaARC is offline He's not the Stig,,,He's the Stig's Welsh cousin
    Must only be me that isn't so impressed with my 97...everyone else only has positives to say 😕
    Theoben TTR1 .177, Steven B Blue/Grey Laminate Stock, Nutshot Mod, Hawke Sidewinder 10x42 Tac IR
    Daystate Pulsar. 177, Donny FL Sumo Mod, Pard NV008LRF