Thread: Weirauchs! I'm not on the bandwagon...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by derekj View Post
    * I still wince everytime I thumb a pellet in, wondering whether this is going to be the time when the cocking arm lug shears off and my thumb is crushed*

That's because Weihrauch slide breech rifles should not of been allowed into the country until an adequate fail safe mechanical lock was placed on the compression tube. They're dangerous make no mistake about it. I can scarcely believe they get away with it to be honest. Plus to rub the salt in; they cheekily provide some pointless safety engraving on the rear block. I wouldn't buy another Weihrauch because of that alone.
    If you were to cock and load your rifle in the correct manner by keeping a hold on the cocking lever all the time, that wouldn't become an issue anyway. I say that but I never do it that way though
    Shooting Air Rifles is like being a pubic hair on a toilet seat.
    Eventually someone comes a long and P's you off.
    They usually have a PCP

Weihrauch have an enduring appeal in Britain for sound reasons. As the sport came alive in the late 70's with the advent of the airgun press, the already dated HW35 made its mark as a superior, robust, durable design. Our offerings, undoubted elegance and shotgun handling notwithstanding (Airsporter, Mercury, &tc.) couldn't match the overall quality, not least trigger & breech bolt. Then along came the splendid 80 & 77.

I agree the Rekord is easier than CD to adjust but I think the AA unit feels better once a good setting is arrived at. I must say, however, the Sandwell tuned HW triggers seem a vast improvement, having shot Bad Daz's SFS '95 at the Boinger Bash - better than AA CD as well.

Weihrauch quality control is a well attested issue - I went to buy a .22" 95 in 2015 but it galled so badly on cocking, new from box, I changed my mind. Yes a 95, not 99.

I realise it's an excellent gun, and had the shop another fault free one, I'd have bought it.

My 97KT Blackline is faultless and with a simple strip, clean & moly, shoots nicely.

My old 35 & 80, also 'in the spirit of the original', shoot well. The 80 is twangy, the 35 on leather seal not in the slightest.

HW's are I think handsome, robust rifles. AA's perhaps more elegant and generally nicer to shoot new.

That said, if one rifle was to be my lot........the MkII TX would certainly be it.

Quote Originally Posted by StellaArtois Sr View Post
    If you were to cock and load your rifle in the correct manner by keeping a hold on the cocking lever all the time, that wouldn't become an issue anyway. I say that but I never do it that way though
    That's insane. Please, make that extra level of failsafe part of your technique. You know it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by StellaArtois Sr View Post
    If the cocking lug sheared off, holding the cocking lever would be of no value whatsoever. However, at the point where the thumb is in the breech area, the trigger should have already engaged, so the crushed thumb scenario is highly unlikely.

I mentioned it just as a bit of fun. If I really thought it was dangerous, I wouldn't shoot a '97.
    Last edited by Airsporter1st; 01-05-2017 at 07:54 AM.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.