Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Weirauchs! I'm not on the bandwagon...

Quote Originally Posted by derekj View Post
    * I still wince everytime I thumb a pellet in, wondering whether this is going to be the time when the cocking arm lug shears off and my thumb is crushed*

That's because Weihrauch slide breech rifles should not of been allowed into the country until an adequate fail safe mechanical lock was placed on the compression tube. They're dangerous make no mistake about it. I can scarcely believe they get away with it to be honest. Plus to rub the salt in; they cheekily provide some pointless safety engraving on the rear block. I wouldn't buy another Weihrauch because of that alone.
    Oh yeah and the thousands of people who have lost their thumbs just this year is testament to that!

You do realise the safety, trigger and cocking linkage would have to fail, at the same time, to get your thumb crunched?
    Last edited by Artfull-Bodger; 30-04-2017 at 05:11 PM.

Still think a good 77 or 80 will be hard to better, More so the earlier ones, They have been leading the way since the early 80s, My 77 is over 30 years old and will still match my pcp Guns for accuracy . Myself anything after the 77 and 80 did not get any better , Just a bit less weight with some of the later models,

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    It's no secret that I am a big fan of Airsporters, but I've had guns from practically every manufacturer over the years. I recently reduced my collection and now have an Airsporter Mk 1, three Mk 2's and....

.......a HW97. I just cannot bring myself to get rid of it. It looks good and shoots superbly. I still wince everytime I thumb a pellet in, wondering whether this is going to be the time when the cocking arm lug shears off and my thumb is crushed, but that aside, its a beaut and a keeper as long as I continue to shoot.
    I love my HW110 and my 97KT STL but this, ^....^. Has made me think again about trading it for a 95K, I like my thumbs!
    .22 HW 110 ST
    .22 HW97 KT Blackline STL
    Walther CP88 Competition Nickel

About this time last year I joined a rifle club, with my Gamo Whisper and Ratcatcher and was very happy. That was until I walked in the door off the range and was greeted with loads of really lovely rifles, I felt quite inadequate Over the next couple of weeks I was looking at them all and decided to buy a new one the only problem was what. I narrowed it down to a HW97KT, TX200 and a Pro Sport. I went to my local shop and tried all 3. The HW97 fitted like a glove, it just felt so perfect in every way. At first the TX felt to wide in my hands and that bear trap gave me the hump. The Pro Sport was very nice but I just didn't like the cocking handle.
    So I brought the HW97 and I absolutley loved it. I then fancied a .22 rifle, I almost bought the HW95 but decided to buy the HW98 as I just love the look of that stock. I then fancied a rifle with iron sights and got a HW99. The reason being is I love the quality of the other 2 Weihrauchs, and thought I would stick with them. I was aware of the Weihrauch boing in my 97 and 99 although not to bad, but I had the opportunity to buy a HW95 which had more boing than Big Ben. I brought that as my learning to strip down and work on gun. I got a TbT kit, watched YouTube videos and was absolutely delighted with how the rifle ended up. I worked on my 97 and 99 and was delighted with them as well. Since then I have got every Weihrauch Springer available to buy (I don't do PCP's yet). Why you may ask, I can't really explain my love affair with Weihrauchs, but they shoot beautifully, to me they look lovely.( People will say they are ugly, in my eyes they are not. Citreons are bloody ugly but people love them) They are a joy to work on, very easy infact. Once I have had a furtle with them (Yes I know it's fettle but I have always had a furtle with things)they are very reliable and a real pleasure to own. I don't just own Weirauchs, I have a couple of Air Arms, Walthers and Dianas as well but I favour my Weihrauchs, maybe it's because it was my first Air Rifle love. My HW97KT is still my favourite also because it is the most accurate rifle I have in my hands anyway.
    Oh yeah I also have 3 Weihrauch pistols
    Shooting Air Rifles is like being a pubic hair on a toilet seat.
    Eventually someone comes a long and P's you off.
    They usually have a PCP

* I still wince everytime I thumb a pellet in, wondering whether this is going to be the time when the cocking arm lug shears off and my thumb is crushed*

That's because Weihrauch slide breech rifles should not of been allowed into the country until an adequate fail safe mechanical lock was placed on the compression tube. They're dangerous make no mistake about it. I can scarcely believe they get away with it to be honest. Plus to rub the salt in; they cheekily provide some pointless safety engraving on the rear block. I wouldn't buy another Weihrauch because of that alone.
    If you were to cock and load your rifle in the correct manner by keeping a hold on the cocking lever all the time, that wouldn't become an issue anyway. I say that but I never do it that way though
    Shooting Air Rifles is like being a pubic hair on a toilet seat.
    Eventually someone comes a long and P's you off.
    They usually have a PCP

Weihrauch have an enduring appeal in Britain for sound reasons. As the sport came alive in the late 70's with the advent of the airgun press, the already dated HW35 made its mark as a superior, robust, durable design. Our offerings, undoubted elegance and shotgun handling notwithstanding (Airsporter, Mercury, &tc.) couldn't match the overall quality, not least trigger & breech bolt. Then along came the splendid 80 & 77.

I agree the Rekord is easier than CD to adjust but I think the AA unit feels better once a good setting is arrived at. I must say, however, the Sandwell tuned HW triggers seem a vast improvement, having shot Bad Daz's SFS '95 at the Boinger Bash - better than AA CD as well.

Weihrauch quality control is a well attested issue - I went to buy a .22" 95 in 2015 but it galled so badly on cocking, new from box, I changed my mind. Yes a 95, not 99.

I realise it's an excellent gun, and had the shop another fault free one, I'd have bought it.

My 97KT Blackline is faultless and with a simple strip, clean & moly, shoots nicely.

My old 35 & 80, also 'in the spirit of the original', shoot well. The 80 is twangy, the 35 on leather seal not in the slightest.

HW's are I think handsome, robust rifles. AA's perhaps more elegant and generally nicer to shoot new.

That said, if one rifle was to be my lot........the MkII TX would certainly be it.

Quote Originally Posted by StellaArtois Sr View Post
    If you were to cock and load your rifle in the correct manner by keeping a hold on the cocking lever all the time, that wouldn't become an issue anyway. I say that but I never do it that way though
    That's insane. Please, make that extra level of failsafe part of your technique. You know it makes sense.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    About this time last year I joined a rifle club, with my Gamo Whisper and Ratcatcher and was very happy. That was until I walked in the door off the range and was greeted with loads of really lovely rifles, I felt quite inadequate Over the next couple of weeks I was looking at them all and decided to buy a new one the only problem was what. I narrowed it down to a HW97KT, TX200 and a Pro Sport. I went to my local shop and tried all 3. The HW97 fitted like a glove, it just felt so perfect in every way. At first the TX felt to wide in my hands and that bear trap gave me the hump. The Pro Sport was very nice but I just didn't like the cocking handle.
    So I brought the HW97 and I absolutley loved it. I then fancied a .22 rifle, I almost bought the HW95 but decided to buy the HW98 as I just love the look of that stock. I then fancied a rifle with iron sights and got a HW99. The reason being is I love the quality of the other 2 Weihrauchs, and thought I would stick with them. I was aware of the Weihrauch boing in my 97 and 99 although not to bad, but I had the opportunity to buy a HW95 which had more boing than Big Ben. I brought that as my learning to strip down and work on gun. I got a TbT kit, watched YouTube videos and was absolutely delighted with how the rifle ended up. I worked on my 97 and 99 and was delighted with them as well. Since then I have got every Weihrauch Springer available to buy (I don't do PCP's yet). Why you may ask, I can't really explain my love affair with Weihrauchs, but they shoot beautifully, to me they look lovely.( People will say they are ugly, in my eyes they are not. Citreons are bloody ugly but people love them) They are a joy to work on, very easy infact. Once I have had a furtle with them (Yes I know it's fettle but I have always had a furtle with things)they are very reliable and a real pleasure to own. I don't just own Weirauchs, I have a couple of Air Arms, Walthers and Dianas as well but I favour my Weihrauchs, maybe it's because it was my first Air Rifle love. My HW97KT is still my favourite also because it is the most accurate rifle I have in my hands anyway.
    Oh yeah I also have 3 Weihrauch pistols
    Bloody hell, have you won the lottery or something, you've managed to buy EVERY Weihrauch springer available in the last year and some AA's Walthers and Dianas as well.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by TORNADOS7 View Post
    So what you're saying is that the 'Air Arms TX, TXhc, Pro Elite and Prosport' are all 'sub standard crap' compared to your average outta the box, bog standard 'HW' springer then, would that analysis of your quote be correct ?...

I find it incredible that something positive that I wrote can be interpreted so badly, that you have written utter nonsense. I hope that clarifies things for you.

If the cocking lug sheared off, holding the cocking lever would be of no value whatsoever. However, at the point where the thumb is in the breech area, the trigger should have already engaged, so the crushed thumb scenario is highly unlikely.

I mentioned it just as a bit of fun. If I really thought it was dangerous, I wouldn't shoot a '97.
    Last edited by Airsporter1st; 01-05-2017 at 07:54 AM.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Bloody hell, have you won the lottery or something, you've managed to buy EVERY Weihrauch springer available in the last year and some AA's Walthers and Dianas as well.

Pete
    He owns a Belgian brewery - why shouldn't he be able to buy them all?
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
    I find it incredible that something positive that I wrote can be interpreted so badly, that you have written utter nonsense. I hope that clarifies things for you.
    Mate 'I was winding you up' and it worked by the sounds of it !...

Ps, gonna put you as 'good to go' on my wind-up list...

Note too self, use smiley next time...
    Last edited by TORNADOS7; 01-05-2017 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanFox View Post
    Take no notice, hes like this every day all day but a really nice man when you get to know him. OH, and he really does like a good wobbly webley, don't let him fool you.
    Mind he does have one or two, three, four or more HWs.
    I must try harder to be a t**t.
    29 HWs to be exact so you cant believe his word.

Well I wouldn't buy a Mk1 A A TX200 because they came without any kind of anti bear trap. Its just good gun safety when all said and done. Bear trap or not I hold onto that under lever like my thumb depends on it.

While we are on the subject of HWs and to keep my bad reputation and this interesting thread going - the worse models, I.M.O. are the HW90 and HW57. The '90s is over weight and the trigger is not up to the Rekord standard.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I must try harder to be a t**t.
    29 HWs to be exact so you cant believe his word.

Well I wouldn't buy a Mk1 A A TX200 because they came without any kind of anti bear trap. Its just good gun safety when all said and done. Bear trap or not I hold onto that under lever like my thumb depends on it.

While we are on the subject of HWs and to keep my bad reputation and this interesting thread going - the worse models, I.M.O. are the HW90 and HW57. The '90s is over weight and the trigger is not up to the Rekord standard.

ATB
    Ian
    Before you get too carried away with the bear trap, unscrew the rocker and have a look at what exactly is holding the compression cylinder back, it's a tiny little lug, so if your worried about the safety, trigger and underlever all failing, then you should be worried about that failing too!

Owning several HWs as I am not living too far away from Mellrichstadt I must admit:
    I like their airguns