Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HW77 anti-bear trap...

HW77 anti-bear trap...

Just wondering.....did the 77 have the ab from the first mk1 or was it a later add on?
    Smile!...today is the day you worried about yesterday. :-)

Supanova II Weymouth....http://www.supanova-charters.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by weebster View Post
    Just wondering.....did the 77 have the ab from the first mk1 or was it a later add on?
    It appeared on later nmodels and its NOT a true anti-bear trap as it only blocks the trigger on full cock. Personally I do away with it and rely on my own safe approach to cocking which is keep hold on the under lever like my fingers rely on it (which they do).

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

There is no fail safe compression tube lock which would stop the tube from slamming forward under spring pressure should something catastrophic occur. Umerax, Air Arms, Diana all have this feature which makes them a responsible manufacturer.

I remove the bear trap as it stops you uncocking the rifle, once you cock the rifle just keep hold of the underlever as all good springer owners should, then for your thumb to get crunched first the safety has to fail, then the trigger fail and then the cocking linkage has to fail, all at the same time, and if your that unlucky then a bear trap wasn't going to help as that would probably have failed too!

Just keep hold of the cocking lever!

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    I remove the bear trap as it stops you uncocking the rifle, once you cock the rifle just keep hold of the underlever as all good springer owners should, then for your thumb to get crunched first the safety has to fail, then the trigger fail and then the cocking linkage has to fail, all at the same time, and if your that unlucky then a bear trap wasn't going to help as that would probably have failed too!

I do this. GOOD ADVICE , And common sense really,

Thanks for that,the 77 I have has it fitted and it's a 1987 rifle,so its been around for some time.
    Last edited by weebster; 01-05-2017 at 08:09 PM.
    Smile!...today is the day you worried about yesterday. :-)

Supanova II Weymouth....http://www.supanova-charters.co.uk/

And do the same with break barrels to put an end to cracked stocks and upward bending barrels! (And personal injury of course!)
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Early models didn't have one.
    I used mine to prove to myself that holding the lever would save losing digits.

It does.

Unless its a tap loader, rotating breech or pop-up breech all of which are fail-safe.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    Unless its a tap loader, rotating breech or pop-up breech all of which are fail-safe.
    You would win clumsy oaf of the year if you caught your thumb in a tap!

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    I wonder why the 77/97 is the only one without ABT fitted

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    I wonder why the 77/97 is the only one without ABT fitted
    It's not really needed on the HW, the trigger engages easily and as we mention above you have a safety blocking the top sear, a reliable trigger and an underlever , anyone who has owned a TX will be familiar with the times you cock it and the safety does not pop out so you have to cock it again, if your not familiar with the rifle you may think it's cocked and try loading, so I suppose there's a belt and braces approach required for the terminally dopey who don't hold the underlever!

It's not really needed on the HW, the trigger engages easily and as we mention above you have a safety blocking the top sear, a reliable trigger and an underlever , anyone who has owned a TX will be familiar with the times you cock it and the safety does not pop out so you have to cock it again, if your not familiar with the rifle you may think it's cocked and try loading, so I suppose there's a belt and braces approach required for the terminally dopey who don't hold the underlever!
    Nope not true. I have owned a TX200SR for 24 years and have never not cocked it fully and bearing inmind this also involves setting the slide mechanism. The HW77 and 97 do need a compression lock as a fail safe. It only needs the piston rod to snap, and if you're unlucky enough you'll amputate your thumb. Weihrauch should of invested in a comp lock for these rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by derekj View Post
    Nope not true. I have owned a TX200SR for 24 years and have never not cocked it fully and bearing inmind this also involves setting the slide mechanism. The HW77 and 97 do need a compression lock as a fail safe. It only needs the piston rod to snap, and if you're unlucky enough you'll amputate your thumb. Weihrauch should of invested in a comp lock for these rifles.
    I have had 4 TX's and 2 Pro Sports and every now and then they didn't cock first time so you pull the underlever back until the safety pops out, so yeah I know from experience this happens!

Sure the rod could snap, but by the same measure so could the bear trap lug, be realistic how many HW rods have you known to snap? or air arms come to that? I know of home made rods failing but not any factory ones, if we take this to it's conclusion we would be putting bear traps on all break barrels too, I have no issues with what we have now and I have owned HW77's since the Eighties!

secretagentmole Guest
    I have had 4 TX's and 2 Pro Sports and every now and then they didn't cock first time so you pull the underlever back until the safety pops out, so yeah I know from experience this happens!

Sure the rod could snap, but by the same measure so could the bear trap lug, be realistic how many HW rods have you known to snap? or air arms come to that? I know of home made rods failing but not any factory ones, if we take this to it's conclusion we would be putting bear traps on all break barrels too, I have no issues with what we have now and I have owned HW77's since the Eighties!
    Does auto safety on Hatsans count?