Thread: Which air rifles have choke - and why?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    some HW ones get choked when the front sight mount grooves are formed so I have read before.
    Last edited by bighit; 30-04-2017 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    some HW ones get choked when the front mount grooves are formed so I have read before.
    That's an internet myth mate,
    I buy barrels from silco you buy them choked or un choked http://silco.co.uk/products/-BARREL-...WEIHRAUCH.html

I have a hw100 with no grooves, that's choked, I also have a HW98 with no grooves that's also choked so pay no attention to that old chestnut.

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    That's an internet myth mate,
    I buy barrels from silco you buy them choked or un choked http://silco.co.uk/products/-BARREL-...WEIHRAUCH.html

I have a hw100 with no grooves, that's choked, I also have a HW98 with no grooves that's also choked so pay no attention to that old chestnut.
    I meant the front sight mounts on the hw99s and other break barrel rifles . like this http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...psbe6b99af.jpg

Unintentional chokes
    So far, I’ve been talking about chokes that are intentionally put into the barrels, but there are the unintentional kind, as well. Certain spring rifles such as the HW 80 and older versions of the Beeman R1 used to come with sights. The barrels of those rifles had dovetail grooves for the front sight swaged into the front of the barrel. When the swage upset the outside of the barrel to make these grooves, the metal inside the bore was distorted just a little at the same time. If you push a pellet through these barrels, you’ll feel it pause when it gets to where the dovetails begin. This isn’t a real choke, but it does feel like one when you test for it this way. Shooters have referred to these as choked barrels for decades.

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2014/...hoke-a-barrel/

this was not where I originally read it though.
    Last edited by bighit; 30-04-2017 at 08:38 PM.

I meant the front sight mounts on the hw99s and other break barrel rifles .
    Yes I know mate, the grooves are crimped on which causes a slight raising of the surface which you can feel with your fingers, if you look at the direction this process is done you can see how the force pushes the steel up and out not down and in, also if you measure the choke position on grooved and non grooved barrels, oddly enough it's in the same place, the grooves don't cause the choke it's part of the barrel making process.

Yes I know mate, the grooves are crimped on which causes a slight raising of the surface which you can feel with your fingers, if you look at the direction this process is done you can see how the force pushes the steel up and out not down and in, also if you measure the choke position on grooved and non grooved barrels, oddly enough it's in the same place, the grooves don't cause the choke it's part of the barrel making process.
    I have edited my second post, but as I say that is not where I originally read it.

I have edited my second post, but as I say that is not where I originally read it.
    They seem to have missed the rather important fact blanks are made without grooves, then machined to fit the particular model, the choke is at the end of the barrel, so are the grooves, so they seem to correlate this as being as a result of the groove crimping, yet the choke position is the same whether the barrel is grooved or not, so ask yourself a simple question , why would HW make choked barrels (sold as such WITHOUT grooves http://silco.co.uk/products/-BARREL-...CH-CHOKED.html ) if just crimping the end of the barrel creates a choke effect?

They seem to have missed the rather important fact blanks are made without grooves, then machined to fit the particular model, the choke is at the end of the barrel, so are the grooves, so they seem to correlate this as being as a result of the groove crimping, yet the choke position is the same whether the barrel is grooved or not, so ask yourself a simple question , why would HW make choked barrels (sold as such WITHOUT grooves http://silco.co.uk/products/-BARREL-...CH-CHOKED.html ) if just crimping the end of the barrel creates a choke effect?
    I don't know I don't make them. I only shoot them.

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do

A choke of a kind

some HW ones get choked when the front mount grooves are formed so I have read before.
    Yes this is exactly right as the groves are not machine cut but pressed into the barrel. I have an HW80 that had a very tight choke and the result was that after about 50 shots accuracy would start going off dramatically, a good clean and it was back on song. I had the choke removed and the barrel re crowned and now the gun shoots perfectly with a wide range of pellets and has never had its barrel cleaned since.

I dare say some shooters would have similar accuracy issues and not make this connection.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !