Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which air rifles have choke - and why?

Quote Originally Posted by happydad View Post
    First of all I said it makes intrested reading, I didn't say that I believed it all.

I personal think some people over analysis and try to hard to find the magic formula to getting the best out of their air rifles, it's actually very simple...get-out from behind your computer and go and enjoy your shooting.

Find the best pellet batch that works with your set-up and practice.

I am fortunate to be able to shoot (HFT) every weekend in all weather's and it's the only way to improve your ability, you can throw all kinds of facts and figures at me but, it doesn't make diddle shit! if I'm not doing my part....lack of consetration/tiredness and good night before

ATB
    Mike
    It also helps to improve your shooting if you have a basic knowledge on how the different gun and ammunition parameters affect what is happening to your pellet as it flies towards the target. Understanding what is happening and why is the key to the ultimate performance, otherwise you are just fishing in the dark.
    Unfortunately, a lot of what you read on the internet and in the magazines is just plain wrong and will not help or worse, just miss guide you into thinking you understand. I am mearly trying to help people to find the right information based on my work.

Quote Originally Posted by ballisticboy View Post
    New starter then.
    You mean a " Rookie "?

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    You mean a " Rookie "?

A.G
    We always say you need at least ten years full time training before you can start to be useful by knowing what aerodynamic values to expect, some people never manage it.

I don't like to think of the near 40 years I have spent working on aeroballistics, makes me feel too old. I need to retire.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post

do remember john budd saying his theoben gas ram barrel was unchoked and I'm sure he said it may have been for the Prometheus pellets at the time. this was his quote .

This one is around a 12" barrel. It is stamped U/C, which I can only assume means Unchoked , maybe for the Prometheus pellets around at the time
    wow, that's well remembered, and quite correct. Now I've sorted the action, it shoots very well too.

I have to say I'm undecided on choked / unchoked in general though.

The most accurate gun I have right now is unchoked. I also have some very very accurate choked barrels. I do know that an overly tight choke is unhelpful, and I have had good experiences of chopping the chokes off barrels and retaining or even improving accuracy, but that might be down to crowning.

Right now I just don't think it's a big factor in accuracy, unless it's heavy.

I also find JB bore polishing compound very helpfull in optimising barrels with tight spots.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    wow, that's well remembered, and quite correct. Now I've sorted the action, it shoots very well too.

Hi John. You mentioned it a few months back. That's how I knew.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Hi John. You mentioned it a few months back. That's how I knew.
    my memory is clearly going
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    my memory is clearly going
    happens to us all. last night TonyL said weihrauch made a HW89

.it was a typo by Tony.

you give out a lot of advice on here Jon so you might forget something once in a while.
    Paul
    Last edited by bighit; 07-05-2017 at 06:43 PM. Reason: H in Jon ,sorry Jon.

Barrel choke.

You will probably find 90ut of 100 Airrifle barrels are choked ! Unchoked barrels are no less accurate they are just more pellet fussy, they generally like the slightly larger pellet sizes .