Thread: bsa military patten valuation

bsa military patten valuation

I bought this last year from a rather elderly gentleman who had owned it since 1953 and had worked at BSA then did his national service and came out then went on to work at Webley! he bought it from a second-hand shop in Bromsgrove in 1953. he then proceeded to shoot it as normal then decided he wanted to put a scope on it in the 1960's/70's so soldered a rail on with soft solder which has left a shiny patch on the air chamber where it was gently removed, I suspect there is still some solder on it hence why it is shiny. other than that the finish is patina, and stock has a few dings as is to be expected and a screw missing on one side of the under lever.

anyway here are the pics.
    http://s621.photobucket.com/user/guy.../134%20MILPATT

what do you all think is a reasonable price t0 ask for it? am debating selling it along with my Webley service collection as I have lost interest in the pre war stuff now and want to buy some more machinery for the workshop.

here is a pic of the Webley's
    http://s621.photobucket.com/user/guy...cedbd.jpg.html

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Worth a tenner, max, but tell you what, as I'm feeling generous, and seeing as it is 'be nice to people whose guns have shiney patches due to sporting soldered-on scope rails at some time' (lol ), I'll give you £15 for it (posted, naturally, ) ...

In all seriousness, it's probably worth the thick end of £2,250 (but I may very well be over egging the pudding due to my love of these ). Will read other comments and guesstimates, with interest, as they appear. Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Not really into the pre-wars myself, but that's a lovely group of Webleys.

Mil patt must be worth two grand.

Those pics will make a lot of old collectors experience trouser activity.

Barrow Bury St Edmunds duck hunting central
    No idea on value, but loving the pictures. Those service's are awesome, would love one...
    When your world is full of strange arrangements

And gravity won't pull you through

Hard to say as the Mil Pat rarely comes up for sale. Wallis & Wallis sold Tony Williams' old rifle for around £3k a few years ago and that had been refinished. Hard one to value but somewhere between £2 - £3k?

John

That old Mil Patt and the Webley mess on the floor has to be worth £8k - £9k

Can you imagine how much an auctioneer would make out of that little lot in about 10 minutes even at 20% and no VAT, somewhere around £4000

Put them on a £50 table at Kempton air gun fair

You know it makes sense

I would go along with the £2000-£3000 for the Mil Pat and without more detailed descriptions, anther £3000-£4000 for the Mk2 Service collection.

These figures could vary wildly however if the right people bid for them at auction.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    I would go along with the £2000-£3000 for the Mil Pat and without more detailed descriptions, anther £3000-£4000 for the Mk2 Service collection.

These figures could vary wildly however if the right people bid for them at auction.

Regards

Brian

I believe one is a First patt and three are Second patts, so them alone have to be £4k, boxes do little for me, but there may be a spare .25 barrel in there

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    I believe one is a First patt and three are Second patts, so them alone have to be £4k, boxes do little for me, but there may be a spare .25 barrel in there
    only .25 barrel there as you know is matched to the action! although there are a .177 and .22 barrel with the .25 that are both not serialed! there are x2 first series and x2 2nd series. and 3/4 3rd series as there is one in the 2nd box that is a .177 I think.

will be sticking the mil pat up for sale on here shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post

Regardse in

Brian
    Hello,

Following the fuller description of the Webley Mk2 Service collection, I would increase my valuation to £4000 - £5000 and maybe more at the right auction, especially as the boxes can increase prices by quite an amount.

I guess the difficulty might be deciding whether to sell them separately as a collection at auction or individually over time to avoid overcrowding their availability.

Regards

Brian