View Poll Results: Should I give the HW30 Another Chance?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 71.43%
  • No

6 28.57%

Thread: Should I give the HW30 Another Chance?

Should I give the HW30 Another Chance?

Ok as many know I've been around the houses with air rifles many times

I'm finding myself wanting a lightweight close range informal paper Puncher/plinker.

Intended use is for two things only;

6-10 Meter Club 'Pistol' range paper munching
    6-10 Meter Home garage range plinking/paper munching.

Stress nothing formal or serious mainly just a fun, accurate lightweight rifle.

I have no real need for a heavy rifle at such close range or even anything full power or detuned.

Would be used by my sons and obviously myself (read that more for myself )

Main reason is my clubs shooting range is a victim of its own success (can't grumble as it's healthy funds for the club) and getting very busy on the main range and this is now present on the 'quiet' Wednesday evenings hence for range time we are having to alternate between main range and the smaller pistol range.

I also have a pistol but it's not quite doing it for me the novelty wore off far too quickly as I do prefer rifles.

Also when the urge takes me I like to have some home garage plinking time without hassle of co2 and pcp etc.

So it's back with thinking about a little break barrel rifle again.

There's one rifle that fits the bill perfectly the HW30 now I've had a love/hate relationship with this rifle.

My last HW30K (factory open sight delete and 4x32 scope) was in .177 and 100% a Friday gun

Was bought brand new and had I not opened it up trying to work out its issues in hindsight I should of simply returned it for refund or replacement

TBT kit didn't help it and it was also coilbound, lost count how many times that I stripped it and put simply I think it just wasn't right from the start it was so inconsistent and..... ah forget it it's gone now so no let's move on

Previous to the 30K I had a 30S that TonyL now has ala 'soft cock' I think it's known as

That was a peach to shoot but also it was in .22 and the previous owner to me had done some work on it so probably not a fair comparison.

I probably already know the answer to my own question but as you can imagine having had the issues with the 30k I'm not sure if I should try another one

They occasionally come up second-hand but if buying new £195 for another K is a fair wedge for what is deemed a budget starter rifle

I've looked around and there's a couple of cheaper alternatives e.g. Browning M-Blade, Cometa etc in the smaller rifle type sector (remember I don't need full size or power as close indoor range and son use) and I've considered another HW99 but for its intended use I think the 30 would be more suitable.

The build quality and trigger worries me with other 'budget' type rifles as I'm not looking for something that I don't have much desire to own. so maybe the extra money the Weihrauch costs is wisely spent.

I just can't get that awful previously owned 30k out of my head maybe I was just unlucky, maybe I expected too much? Maybe I should of got one in .22? Maybe I should go and lie down

Or how about a poll?

To be honest I would get a new HW99 they are £199. A little bit of work on it with a TbT kit and you will have a lightweight rifle with ironsights and they are extremely accurate. A really underestimated rifle. Yes I know some have had a galling issue although mine hasn't but I would not hesitate to recommend one. I do love my HW30 especially at the indoor paper punching range, but tend to use my HW99 more.
    Last edited by StellaArtois Sr; 30-04-2017 at 08:45 PM.
    Shooting Air Rifles is like being a pubic hair on a toilet seat.
    Eventually someone comes a long and P's you off.
    They usually have a PCP

For your intended use, go for the 30 mate in .22. Personally, I would get one secondhand.

I had a quick go with a 30s at the last bash,Tony L introduced us and I was most impressed with the sweet firing cycle and overall build quality,a perfect rifle for short range paper or bell target shooting.i do fancy one myself .
    Les..

I have just bought the 30 k in 177 which comes a kit with the 4x32 scope to introduce a relative to air guns and I think it's absolutely great, I can not stop wanting to shoot it. The accuracy is spot on, target set at 20 metres and shooting amazing groups with AA FIELDS. It's so much fun to use, I am finding that I'm using it more than my 80k. I bought it New a couple of weeks ago and would recommend to all. It was a gun I would have normally over looked,,, but I find myself continually singing its praises.

You know what my answer is, Nick.

Voted accordingly.....go for it.......in .177.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Definitely 177 in my opinion.

I think the 30s is a fantastic little rifle. My pal owns three of them - all .177 - one of which he lets me use on a regular basis. All three have had some minor work, (polish and lube), to prevent possible galling - and they are really sweet to shoot. Now I appreciate it's not your thing, but I bagged a rabbit with one yesterday, as clean a kill as you could wish for. This had me wondering - albeit briefly - do I even need the 99s?

A definite +1 for the Hw30s in 177

You can shoot it all day if you're so inclined, with little in the way of fatigue.

More smiles per pound that any rifle I've ever had.

I think we have 8 now in the club used for bell target,10m and 20 yard competitions

The only downside is you spend more on pellets because you shoot more

I bought a 30 s before they became trendy years ago, no probs no galling, fitted fibre optic opens, great for bell target in my garden, RWS SHP as these make nice wadcutter mark (on paper too) but are less prone to bounce back than Hobby at these low power (about 6.5)

I also put a v Mach kit in an old 85, someone had shortened kit (bought off here as full power lol), at about 8 ideal garden gun with a lightweight 2-7x on top

I bought a new 35 that galled, and the last HWs I bought have been older s/h
    I wouldn't have a prob with a new 77 97 80 95, though if buying an underlever in 22 would probably choose an older one - not many HW probs but they sure have had some QC issues on various models / parts over last few years, spectacular style -
    I bought a Diana 31 with barrel not true in block, all credit to Diana, they admitted and replaced it. HW I've never known to admit their blunders, it was good to see they did cough up over the 110 barrels, which increased my respect for them again somewhat -
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Several of our club members bought ex club HW30s which we had used for years by the members at country fairs (Teach The Public), scouts nights etc with great service and very few problems.
    Most of the members then fitted these guns with the little Williams sports peep sight (bough of a famous internet auction site ) and use them in club 'WH30 Days' with some good results and great fun. In the right hands they can give serious match rifles (FWB300) a run for their money over 10m.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=37

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk