Thread: Hunting Stories...

Hunting Stories...

I seem to remember a while back that someone wanted to read more hunting stories on the BBS, so here goes...

Arrived at the farm mid-afternoon and headed straight over to my favourite hotspot. Now this area has been completely barren since last summer, but the rabbits have been making a serious comeback over the past couple of weeks. Sure enough, half a dozen kits were out frolicking in the sunshine, none more than 15 yards from my hide. Not for me though, I was after their folks. I'd done my reconnaissance and was pretty sure that if I waited until early evening and the wind stayed in my favour, I'd likely get a bash at their Dad.

Went back to the plinking range and hauled out the .22 99s, certain that any shootable rabbit would appeared well within my confidence zone for hunting with a peep sight. After a good old session, plinking at small pebbles at various distances out to 20 yards, I reckoned there was a fair chance of rabbit curry on Sunday's menu. Just to be on the safe side, I grabbed the scoped 30s to check the zero, (just in case my eyesight let me down with the opens once the sun dipped below the treeline).

Didn't see any point in beginning a serious stakeout much before 7, so a mooch round the farm for an hour or so was in order. Still plenty of woodies about - two of which offered the opportunity of a shot - but I wasn't really interested, I had rabbit fever. Did draw a bead on a magpie, but he was a split-second too quick for me.

Anyway, 7 o'clock and back in the hide - and the breeze remained in my favour. The same(?) half dozen kits were still out, but nothing bigger as yet. It's funny, you can scan an area for ages looking for a rabbit, you glance away then look back and there's one right under your nose - well, about 12 yards away in this case, a nice fat buck. I slowly raised the rifle, but his head was obscured by a fallen branch. Only needed him to move a foot or so in either direction for a clear line. Suddenly, every rabbit in the field - including a couple of pot-size adults that I hadn't seen - went on high alert and bolted to the hedgerow. No idea what spooked them, it wasn't me though.

Continued to wait patiently, stubbornly determined to live up to my username. After a while, some of the little ones had come out of hiding, but were staying close to cover. By then, the sun had dipped behind the trees and there was simply not enough contrast to effectively use the opens. Time for some optical assistance.

By the time I been back to the farmhouse and returned to the hide with the 30s and a handful of AADE, I was expecting a wait before the big guys put in another appearance. I was wrong, there were already two adults out - about 20 yards away - but neither offered a shootable angle. Patience is a virtue and within a few minutes, I caught some movement out the corner of my eye. It was - I assumed - the same one that I'd been after earlier, making it's way along the strip of rough that runs parallel to the fence that I was plotted up behind. Tracking it through the 2.5x, I couldn't believe my luck when it stopped to chomp less than 10 yards directly in front of me.

The discharge of the 30s was hardly noticeable, the impact of pellet on skull unmistakeable - she, (obviously not the buck from earlier), simply rolled over, one back leg in the air. Textbook kill. None of the others took a blind bit of notice, so with another pellet up the spout, I stayed put too. Now, just how stupid are rabbits? Next thing, one of the big guys who'd been dining further out in the field comes lolloping over and starts nosing round his fallen comrade.

Oh how I wish that I could tell you that I cleanly dropped number two right on top of number one, but it just didn't happen. I fluffed it like a rank amateur, I fell off my elbow at just the moment the sear released. The pellet passed a good two inches from his head, (I saw the splash of dust behind him, through the scope).

I stuck around for a while longer, but it was getting too dark for the little scope to give sufficient target definition. Time to collect my prize, then back to the farmhouse for a party with lots of cold beer and loud music - didn't get home until 2 this morning. Live the dream, Baby...

Thumbs up

Nice story - enjoyed reading it mate.

Couple of weekends back I managed to take the ole rifle out with me on my early morning 'bunker raking' rounds, got several bunkers raked and then had the pleasure of driving past the 'Plantation' where a newly formed 'Rookery' exists so decided to do a pit stop, anyway at about 50yds out I stopped and cocked the ole 'TX' ready for any shot I might have had a chance of, placed the rifle next to me on the seat and continued over to the edge of the trees...

On pulling up in the shade of a big ole 'Maccro' I could hear the 'Rooks' giving it their all as per usual so I swung the door of the truck open and sat there for a about 20-30 seconds when suddenly I spotted a Rook staring square at me so I picked the rifle up and brought it on aim 'Rooks still eying me up at this point' so I placed the crosshairs straight on his eye, took a breath and squeezed the trigger, the pellet hit home with a loud smack and the Rook hit the floor without so much as a twitch, as for the rest of'em 'well' as expected all hell broke loose, that was the only shot I got off that morning but I wasn't at all bothered, one was enough for me...

Who want`s to hear about hunting trips, I like them so keep them coming.Have been out today,wish i could tell you how great it was but someone has nicked all the pigeon,
    1 Rapid+sentinal n/v, 1 HW100+ Mamba lite

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Very enjoyable, well done !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Bladerunner too View Post
    I like them so keep them coming.
    Will see what I can do. Thanks guys...

Good read RW - Thank you

I must admit, I'd have been tempted to take a bigger little 'un - they're so nice and tender, especially if you wrap them in bacon and barbecue them

All of the above.

secretagentmole Guest

In response.

Went to a permission I have on Saturday, set up, checked zero on the new to me Super10. Positioned myself so I covered the bottom 2 thirds of the paddocks with a sweep under 33 metres (PBZ is 9.5 to 34.8 metres). The three stooges enter stage left and remain just past zero range.

Gaily they frolicked about, gambolling across the rock hard earth, pausing to nibble on a daisy. Then they frolicked within range. I waited until they were within 30 metres and then let a high speed, JSB sourced sleeping tablet fly, one rabbit dropped, one took off like Usain Bolt back to the underworld and one cautiously advanced.

I could not be having that so a quick bolt cycle, aim and fire and another high speed JSB missile struck dropping the second.

Meatloafed the rabbits, cos "Two out of three ain't bad!"

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    Meatloafed the rabbits, cos "Two out of three ain't bad!"
    Kindly leave the stage...