Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stoeger XP4

Stoeger XP4

Anyone seen this new Stoeger air pistol.
    Looks like a HW40/P17 rip off.
    I might have been interested if they hadnt gone for those damn fibre optic sights.
    Hate the things.....wreck accuracy and look crap.

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    Anyone seen this new Stoeger air pistol.
    Looks like a HW40/P17 rip off.
    I might have been interested if they hadnt gone for those damn fibre optic sights.
    Hate the things.....wreck accuracy and look crap.
    Me too.

But it is "infused with our lineage of firearms expertise". (Who writes this nonsense?)

To be fair to them, all the top-cover charged SSPs are variations on the same theme: FAS, Nemesis, HW40/P17, Gamo PR14/45, AF10, Compact, HW75, etc. So I wouldn't call it a rip-off. And it looks nicer than the over-styled HW40.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Me too.

But it is "infused with our lineage of firearms expertise". (Who writes this nonsense?)

To be fair to them, all the top-cover charged SSPs are variations on the same theme: FAS, Nemesis, HW40/P17, Gamo PR14/45, AF10, Compact, HW75, etc. So I wouldn't call it a rip-off. And it looks nicer than the over-styled HW40.
    I would agree with you Geezer ....its got the edge due to the lack of vertical lines at the muzzle and looks better for having the foresight right at the muzzle.

I recently replaced a fibre optic set up on a 40 which was annoying one of my club compardres.
    Simply slipped out the fibre optics and let in some solid bespoke machined Black Delrin inserts.
    The 1mm dia. Delrin for the rearsight prob best just using some black epoxy.

Luddites

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Luddites
    Old school. .

Ludites and experienced

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Old school. .
    Lol...
    Jokes apart if your eyes are still reasonable you will get twice the precision out of a set of regular sights.
    There was an interesting article on this in Guns and Ammo which even incl the blacking out of the rear sights old time white dots for more precsion, relying on just a white spot on the foresight.

Looks like the Chinese made Beeman P17 , but with a nicer shaped frame.

Since it's almost certainly made in China, my guess is that that is probably what it is - a new airgun product that isn't essentially new at all.

How much is actually new these days?
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    Lol...
    Jokes apart if your eyes are still reasonable you will get twice the precision out of a set of regular sights.
    There was an interesting article on this in Guns and Ammo which even incl the blacking out of the rear sights old time white dots for more precsion, relying on just a white spot on the foresight.

This is true. Dots are fine (tritium for example) but glow-sticks are not, unless the target is fairly big and fairly close and not at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post

Since it's almost certainly made in China, my guess is that that is probably what it is - a new airgun product that isn't essentially new at all.

Not much. But that's not a new thing. Go back 30-40 years and all the top, popular, break-barrels are a lot alike. Now, the PCPs are all a lot alike. Same goes for RF, CF, shot guns....

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post

Its apparently made in Italy.....hence the styling.

My old eyes appreciate glo sights now and again.
    I accept that they aren't pretty.

A picture. Readers are going to want to see one!

https://www.airrifle.co.za/imagestor...ynthetic-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
    A picture. Readers are going to want to see one!

https://www.airrifle.co.za/imagestor...ynthetic-1.jpg
    ...thanks for that ....it certainly looks good as it approaches the real size in that pic.
    I just wonder if all that composite will have the qualities of the HW40 even if it does look a lot better.

Well if we're not going to get a CO2-powered Luger ...

Brief, official video of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1w5XlzWeGI

and yes it looks very HW40 (or Chinese clone - it is 'designed' in Italy) inside. So hopefully seals (and possibly even other parts like the internal springs) won't be a problem, we can all be sure to check the air inlet on the cylinder for burrs, and the automatic safety can be converted to manual by removing one pin, a spring and a triangular part inside.

At least it is styled differently outside (imagine just getting the HW40 clone badge-engineered), the grip certainly looks different and the sight radius a bit longer, even if the barrel isn't lengthened to match. Personally I'd clean the lines up a bit more - slide retraction grooves on the overlever, really?

Iain

Quote Originally Posted by Iain K D View Post
    Well if we're not going to get a CO2-powered Luger ...

Brief, official video of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1w5XlzWeGI

and yes it looks very HW40 (or Chinese clone - it is 'designed' in Italy) inside. So hopefully seals (and possibly even other parts like the internal springs) won't be a problem, we can all be sure to check the air inlet on the cylinder for burrs, and the automatic safety can be converted to manual by removing one pin, a spring and a triangular part inside.

At least it is styled differently outside (imagine just getting the HW40 clone badge-engineered), the grip certainly looks different and the sight radius a bit longer, even if the barrel isn't lengthened to match. Personally I'd clean the lines up a bit more - slide retraction grooves on the overlever, really?

Iain
    Its probably about as far as this design goes i think. I believe you have to put a few lines into such a moulding to aid stress relieving during the manufacturing process....so theyve simply doubled up with at least some semblance of a feature while adding them.

Yeah ive got sick of HW40 clones now. I mean how many can we have....theres at least 4 to my knowledge.
    So ill look at this thing when it comes available.....at least they have come up with their own mould tooling.

I think it looks nice And F/O sights are bloody great against dark targets and dark / mixed backgrounds.

How much is it?