Thread: Match pcp pistol storage.

Match pcp pistol storage.

Do members simply keep their pcps in their plastic boxes?

If so, what about the danger of condensation on steel barrels?

I have noted that some owners store their guns with the cylinder removed.

Why is this? Is it to do with taking pressure off O rings?

I would have thought regularly unscrewing and rescrewing cylinders might be rather hard on aluminium threads. O rings would be easier to replace.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    Do members simply keep their pcps in their plastic boxes?

If so, what about the danger of condensation on steel barrels?

I have noted that some owners store their guns with the cylinder removed.

Why is this? Is it to do with taking pressure off O rings?

I would have thought regularly unscrewing and rescrewing cylinders might be rather hard on aluminium threads. O rings would be easier to replace.
    I store mine in its plastic box along with probably 8 in every 10 shooters I see.
    The other 2 in 10 keep them in alloy cases

Condensation does not appear to be a concern - maybe if you kept it in a unheated garage or shed it might - but not in a centrally heated house.

Most of the time I do unscrew the cylinder a turn or so which depressurises the action and insert the thin plastic spacer that Morini provides for just this purpose.
    I don't think longer-term any seal benefits from being kept in a compressed state and its safer of course...but I'm equally sure there are many that keep theirs pressurised with no ill-effects.

The screw threads only locate the cylinder, they do not provide the seal and they are hard anodised anyway - I doubt unscrewing them one or two turns once or twice a week will wear them out in a lifetime of shooting.

Pcp match pistol storage

Hi Arthur, very good question, how do you store yours ? 😀

When I had my LP10 I stored it in its case inside a drawer, but with the lid slightly open to allow for air circulation.

I wondered if this was necessary.

I left the cylinder completely screwed in.

I wondered if this was advisable.

Hence my question.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

BigEars Guest
    In the winter. I leave the case open overnight after it's been brought into the house. Otherwise it's in the case, or in my hand.

I store them in their cases too. In the Tau 7 case, thats stuffed with styropor others with foam. I dó clean off the barrel with oily cloth after use and once a year. Tau 7s are very prone to rust but even they do not rust.
    If I have taken them outside in the cold I do let them lie with open case for a while to acclimatize to prevent condensatin and rust
    I do not empty them nor release any cilinders except on the one's that otherwise slowly empty the cilinder themselves (tau again) . But walthers, morini, cilinder all stay on
    ATB,
    yana

I de pressurise mine ( all CO2 ) after use, then I tuck them up in a cosy blanket, read them a story and kiss them goodnight

I'll get my coat