Thread: Hw98

Hw98

Picked a used one up before Christmas, which has promise, still looking for the front sight solution, but the rifle has promise. Today i changed the spring in it, to one from a 177 97,which was way smaller than the 98 spring.
    The rifle is now doing 7ftlb, & seems to like aa match/jsb orange(many thanks Russ/Phatman)pellets, & using a red dot sight i have been easily getting 10mm 5 shot groups, so the rifle has great promise, now this front sight problem......

Any suggestions ?

Rob,

Spiffing

It seems that 3D printing will be the solution for this.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Managed to find an adapter at Ant supplies, thanks to a link on the darkside, so have a front sight adapter on order

Rob,

Happy New Year

Excellent

Are these the ones ?

https://www.ant-supplies.uk/rail-bas...ter-bases.html

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Rob,

Spiffing

It seems that 3D printing will be the solution for this.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ
    I think you're right Russ - 3D printing opens up a whole new world for functional custom parts - they are not necessarily replicas of original parts due to design and material limitations but just a whole new practical approach. I've recently 3d printed new front sight elements for an unusual target rifle where the originals seem to be unobtainable, also a whole new globe sight/elements for my homemade laser training rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Rob,

Happy New Year

Excellent

Are these the ones ?

https://www.ant-supplies.uk/rail-bas...ter-bases.html

Have fun

Best regards

Russ
    Yep thats the one's Russ.

It arrived today, but is too small for the 98 barrel, & the sight grooves won't take an HW front sight, oh yeah also can't get the Williams peep sight up high enough....

Mad an adaptor to raise the peep sight, now can't get it low enough !

Looks like i'll be shooting the mpl with the 99 again then....

Rob,

Most of the 'newer' sight adapters use an 11mm dovetail.

( HW still use the 'old' 9.0 - 9.5 mm dovetails )

You can get a new 11mm foresight tunnel to fit your new adapter - I use Centra Score :

https://www.intershoot.co.uk/acatalo...t_Tunnels.html

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Thanks Russ,
    I'm going to see how i get on with the 95 in the 98 stock, it didn't seem as accurate using the red dot sights, but i have now swopped stocks, & put the peep sight on it & its showing promise, still a bit too powerful, but with r10 & hobby pellets( so far the best in it) its not doing too bad, i suppose i could get it sleeved & to add a bit of weight just leave the dovetails free of the sleeve, hmmm... sounds like a project

Rob,

Whatever rifle you end up using, I am confident that we will see some excellent scores from you

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Well, the 98 & the 95 have cross bred, so we have a 98 with a 95 barrel that has open sights, & a 95 with a 98 barrel, thanks to Paul Short & his quick release cocking pins.
    Combination of the 98 & 95 barrel is looking promising, with some very tight groups using aa/jsb orange pellets, so looking forward to recieving my spring & summer mpl match cards

Rob,

Excellent

Look forward to seeing the results

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    Well, the 98 & the 95 have cross bred, so we have a 98 with a 95 barrel that has open sights, & a 95 with a 98 barrel, thanks to Paul Short & his quick release cocking pins.
    Combination of the 98 & 95 barrel is looking promising, with some very tight groups using aa/jsb orange pellets, so looking forward to recieving my spring & summer mpl match cards

That sounds like a perfect combination for you Rob - well done!.

I wanted to use an HW98 in the MPL as I really liked the adjustable "match style cheek piece" on the stock, and I would have found a way to fit a front sight - BUT - I found the detent far too stiff and painful for my arthritic hands to break the barrel to cock it after every shot, so reluctantly (very reluctantly) I sold it and bought a nice HW99S instead.

Your solution will work for you, but sadly still wouldn't work for me as the detent would remain just as "stiff" to break.

I had thought about trying to graft a different action into an HW98 stock (my HW30S would have been perfect), but I could not see a way of doing it that would have been within my stock modifying skill set (or available time) and so it never happened.

The HW98 stock is still the best option for an "off the shelf" MPL springer (in my opinion) and I wish that I could have found a way of using it with a different action that I could work with.

You could bung a cheap scope on that Bull Barrelled HW95 Hybrid that you have spare and shoot it in the new MPL AIR RIFLE with SCOPE class
    Last edited by zooma; 08-01-2020 at 10:17 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

I have some nice scoped rifles, so probably won't be keeping the bull barreled 95, or the 99 that did so well in the mpl, if this new one is as good as it is promising to be, we'll see....