Thread: An Eisenwerke Gaggenau MF... or is it?

An Eisenwerke Gaggenau MF... or is it?

It's been a while....

This one is a bit of a mystery. I've not seen this particular example before. It might be one of a kind...

https://www.facebook.com/notes/jimmi...3348909762979/

What do you think?

All the best,
    Jimmie Dee

I will double check the transfer port location but I think it is central. The step might be a fitting issue to allow the piston to make it's way all the way to the end of the chamber.

I wonder if this pistol was made by the same Belgian company that made the Webster's Daredevil Dinkum. The Dinkum being stamped accordingly for Webster to sell as their own in the UK. Leaving this pistol to be sold in Belgium and France.

But, the Dinkum is known to have physical differences such as the rear sight in a different position to that of this pistol and the MF. Perhaps if I can find a Dinkum it will be interesting to see if it has the same production letter stamps.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Hi Jimmy, a very good wright up again. l have 2 of the MF pistols 1 without it's piston. but both have a thread in the back of the the cocking arm which l had not noticed until now, it must have had a bolt like in your drawings at some time.

I think the "knob" at the end of mine has been added. I've not seen any other examples with one. I wonder why it is drilled and threaded? Maybe a rod was attached to it, placed in a drill or similar, cutting compound smeared on the bolt and then span inside the frame to make the two a good fit.

Have you considered having a new piston made for yours?

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieDee View Post
    I think the "knob" at the end of mine has been added. I've not seen any other examples with one. I wonder why it is drilled and threaded? Maybe a rod was attached to it, placed in a drill or similar, cutting compound smeared on the bolt and then span inside the frame to make the two a good fit.

Have you considered having a new piston made for yours?
    Hi Jimmie, yes l did make one to fit but it's missing the butt part as well. it's been like that since l bought it over 20 years ago l might get one made some day lol.

Another interesting read, Jimmie, thanks. Great photos as usual.

Certainly an interesting anomaly, the missing floral pattern etc. It's so long ago we may never get to the bottom of it, unfortunately.

Curious, that turned 'knob' on the end of the bolt on your MF - I hadn't noticed that before. I wonder what the point of it was?

I have to ask, why "Jimmie Dee’s Airguns acquired..." rather than "I acquired..."? Sounds a bit pompous - or are you an institution? (Only kidding).
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Lol. It's just the way the words flowed.

Do you mean the flange on top of the ball? Maybe whoever made it thought it was a more secure or longer lasting point of contact.

And yes, I doubt we will ever know. But that's half the fun don't you think? Trying to work out what, when, where and why.

Do you mean the flange on top of the ball? Maybe whoever made it thought it was a more secure or longer lasting point of contact.

And yes, I doubt we will ever know. But that's half the fun don't you think? Trying to work out what, when, where and why.
    I mean this knob.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Ah I got you now. My thoughts are that someone had the bolt hand replaced, perhaps it was missing, and thought it an idea to have one made for the end of the bolt as it was also threaded. No other examples have one that I have been able to find and it's also not illustrated on the patent. It serves no function either and could just as easily have been turned as once piece when the bolt was made rather than two separate pieces.

My guess is that the threaded end served different purpose. Perhaps during manufacture.

Ah I got you now. My thoughts are that someone had the bolt hand replaced, perhaps it was missing, and thought it an idea to have one made for the end of the bolt as it was also threaded.
    My thoughts exactly too. It actually looks quite good and matches the cocking 'nipple'.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    This is a very interesting pistol and one that IMO could be a genuine variant of the MF pistol that has not been recorded previously. The one feature that makes me think it to be original and not an amateur modification of the standard MF pistol is the trigger adjuster screw. This is in a unique location (on the sear rather than the trigger), and is unlikely to be some amateur modification for two reasons. Firstly, why would anyone want to move the location? Secondly, there is no evidence of a previous screw hole in the trigger having been plugged.

If one accepts that the pistol is a distinct variant of the MF design, then there is no reason why other differences in the construction should not be present.

The lack of the foliage ornamentation suggests that the pistol is more early twentieth century than late nineteenth century (art nouveau trending to art deco?), and the markings suggest manufacture in Belgium. This pistol could then well have been a more upmarket precursor to the 1920’s Dare Devil Dinkum.
    Last edited by ccdjg; 11-05-2017 at 09:07 PM.