Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do Other Shooters Look Down At Airgun Owners???

Yes.

A.G

even people within the air gun fraternity have there haters we have a guy at the farm who only shoots springers and anyone that shoots a pcp is gay he does get a lot of ribbing and is easy to wind up a swift kick in the gonads usually sorts him atb pete i must be a cross shooter i have a springer and a pcp

Quote Originally Posted by chris u'5 View Post
    Very interesting.

I do feel almost like I have to hide my passion for shooting air rifles and all things gun related for fear of being labelled as a 'nut' but I am doing nothing wrong, dangerous or illegal.

I wonder what it is like in the US with the NRA? Obviously they are super powerful with a huge membership so my guess is it must be very tight community and not as disjointed as it is here in the UK??
    I've been a NRA member since 1976, and fractured it ain't. About half the legal gun-owning population of the US support it's aims, and the membership is HUGE - around five million according to the 2013 figures.

Because the LEGAL possession of firearms is a Constitutional Right, not a privilege as it is elsewhere on planet earth, it has the tacit power of the constitution behind its constitution, if you get my drift. IOW, the aims of the NRA directly support the Second Amendment - one mirroring the other.

The RKBA being the part of the CoTUoA, means that in theory at least, the power of the association is tied into the ultimate power that runs the USA, no matter what party holds the balance of power in the Senate, or the White House, for that matter.

The NRA is THE defining shooting association, but there are hundreds of others, just like there are here in UK, that are associated with it. NRA qualifications are much-prized, too, and are of professional standards where applicable.

There is no harm joining and living remote from the USA - many thousands of non-residents do so.

The other organisation in the USA, mutually supportive in its own way, is the Civilian Marksmanship Programme and its hang-off, the Appleseed Programme. Unlike the NRA, you need to be a citizen to enjoy the rights and privileges of these two. Both the CMP, that fosters the civilian application of military shooting skills - think government-sponsored Civilian Service Rifle comps with the same arms as the military, and the Project Appleseed.

See if you like this -

Project Appleseed is an apolitical rifle marksmanship training program that focuses on teaching traditional rifle marksmanship from standing, sitting/kneeling, and prone positions over a two-day weekend shooting clinic for what is termed an "Appleseed". It is one of the major activities of The Revolutionary War Veterans Association (RWVA), a 501(c) non-profit organization that teaches and promotes traditional rifle marksmanship, while also teaching American heritage and history with the intent of encouraging people to become active legal shooters within the civil community.

In addition to Project Appleseed, there is also a companion subsidiary activity conducted within the RWVA called "Liberty Seed" that is the American heritage and history portion of Project Appleseed. "Liberty Seed" has been termed a "civics class in disguise", and features content on the "Three Strikes" that were needed to start the American Revolutionary War.

The emphasis on teaching traditional rifle marksmanship within Project Appleseed centers around traditional rifle marksmanship techniques using a rifle sling coupled with a concept termed "natural point of aim" (NPOA). Project Appleseed uses reduced size scaled silhouette targets that enable a shooter to assess their effective range with their rifle using a reduced length shooting range only 25 meters (82 feet) long, while simulating firing at full size targets at ranges up to 400 yards.

As part of teaching traditional rifleman marksmanship skills, Project Appleseed also teaches the rifleman's cadence. This consists of learning to fire at respiratory pauses every 3–4 seconds, shooting in synchronicity with one's natural rhythm of breathing thereby enabling improving one's marksmanship.

Remember too that in the USA the Scouting Organisation also fosters shooting skills with guns and bows to a far greater extent than the UK's Master at Arms badge ever did or could.

tac

'Can't call that shooting he replied, I'm a qualified marksman with a 0.46 calibre Barrett, shoots a mile or more, that's real shooting.'

Dwong.

I shoot anything that goes bang or twang, and have time and respect for anybody that does the same, no matter if it goes 'snat' or 'BOOM'.

The application of skill, dedication, care and attention, determination, concentration and responsibility are universal throughout the vast range of shooting of all kinds.

Bless us all.

I'm proud to say that 'I'm a shooter'.

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 09-05-2017 at 08:22 PM.

Bored

I just got bored with airguns - they lack the visceral feedback of a real firearm.
    El-bow, the Spanish Archer

chris u'5 is offline I'm a dumbass, it's official!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    I've been a NRA member since 1976, and fractured it ain't. About half the legal gun-owning population of the US support it's aims, and the membership is HUGE - around five million according to the 2013 figures.

Because the LEGAL possession of firearms is a Constitutional Right, not a privilege as it is elsewhere on planet earth, it has the tacit power of the constitution behind its constitution, if you get my drift. IOW, the aims of the NRA directly support the Second Amendment - one mirroring the other.

The RKBA being the part of the CoTUoA, means that in theory at least, the power of the association is tied into the ultimate power that runs the USA, no matter what party holds the balance of power in the Senate, or the White House, for that matter.

The NRA is THE defining shooting association, but there are hundreds of others, just like there are here in UK, that are associated with it. NRA qualifications are much-prized, too, and are of professional standards where applicable.

There is no harm joining and living remote from the USA - many thousands of non-residents do so.

The other organisation in the USA, mutually supportive in its own way, is the Civilian Marksmanship Programme and its hang-off, the Appleseed Programme. Unlike the NRA, you need to be a citizen to enjoy the rights and privileges of these two. Both the CMP, that fosters the civilian application of military shooting skills - think government-sponsored Civilian Service Rifle comps with the same arms as the military, and the Project Appleseed.

See if you like this -

Project Appleseed is an apolitical rifle marksmanship training program that focuses on teaching traditional rifle marksmanship from standing, sitting/kneeling, and prone positions over a two-day weekend shooting clinic for what is termed an "Appleseed". It is one of the major activities of The Revolutionary War Veterans Association (RWVA), a 501(c) non-profit organization that teaches and promotes traditional rifle marksmanship, while also teaching American heritage and history with the intent of encouraging people to become active legal shooters within the civil community.

In addition to Project Appleseed, there is also a companion subsidiary activity conducted within the RWVA called "Liberty Seed" that is the American heritage and history portion of Project Appleseed. "Liberty Seed" has been termed a "civics class in disguise", and features content on the "Three Strikes" that were needed to start the American Revolutionary War.

The emphasis on teaching traditional rifle marksmanship within Project Appleseed centers around traditional rifle marksmanship techniques using a rifle sling coupled with a concept termed "natural point of aim" (NPOA). Project Appleseed uses reduced size scaled silhouette targets that enable a shooter to assess their effective range with their rifle using a reduced length shooting range only 25 meters (82 feet) long, while simulating firing at full size targets at ranges up to 400 yards.

As part of teaching traditional rifleman marksmanship skills, Project Appleseed also teaches the rifleman's cadence. This consists of learning to fire at respiratory pauses every 3–4 seconds, shooting in synchronicity with one's natural rhythm of breathing thereby enabling improving one's marksmanship.

Remember too that in the USA the Scouting Organisation also fosters shooting skills with guns and bows to a far greater extent than the UK's Master at Arms badge ever did or could.

tac
    Lots of information there, thank you for taking the time to post that, I really appreciate it.
    "Who's the only one here that knows illegal ninja moves from the government?"

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    I guess I was once one of those who look down on other shooting disciplines. Over the years I have had a go at pretty much all types of shooting, some I liked and some I did not, but what I have found is that nearly all shooters are dedicated to their chosen discipline(s) and each discipline has its challenges. Many of these challenges are similar but some are not. An almost universal constant is the striving for excellence, and I have always been impressed by the depth of knowledge most shooters have. With very few exceptions I have also found shooters to be good company. My view has substantially changed and I now see all shooters as "one of us" - it doesn't matter what discipline you follow - whatever rings your bell - and the more the merrier.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    Just wanted to ask, he wasn't telling you to stop looking down the barrel to make sure it's chambered properly was he?!
    If not then your probably right
    Now that's funny
    Far too many guns to mention here. Lets just say more then the wife knows about but still less then I would like

Its the same , with anything "Mines Bigger / Newer / more expensive / rarer / than your's syndrome .
    So you must be inferior to me !
    Same with jobs , cars , motorbikes , Bows, Camera's etc etc.

Just remember , you are an Airgunner , be proud, and walk tall.
    Peace through superior fire power!

At the local gun club there's an us and them attitude between the airgun section and firearms they are always having a snipe someone left the nock down targets out the next time we went all the targets had been shot up with rimfire at 30yards full of holes and bent up had to get the mig out and reweld all the knock down faces and replace the bell's always getting moaned at about holes in the woodwork When you look They are all too big for an airgun

Chris, take no notice, there's always one - the guy sounds like a dick. I've shot rifles and pistols - both rim and centrefire - scatterguns too, but my first and last love will always be airguns. I've never felt the urge look up or down at any other shooting discipline. Stick to your guns, he's the plonker, not you...

Quote Originally Posted by chris u'5 View Post
    Maybe the thing with this guy is my problem?? I'm not sure but I don't think so to be honest. I'm delighted to take advice from fellow shooters as you will see from my various posts here on BBS but I think it the fact that the advice this guy was giving was just plain wrong and as an airgun owner I feel like he thought I was an idiot!
    Shot gunning & air gunning to me are a world apart & if you don't do it then techniques will not always transfer.

You should simply reply that "he has obviously never hunted with an air rifle as his tips are not applicable" which frankly should have been said to his face with a grin on yours.

A lot of shooters assume only beginners use air until they get something "better"

Snobbery

There will always be snobbery in any sport, hobby or pass-time. I have always enjoyed shooting anything, even paperclips with an elastic band, but as far as air rifles/pistols go I will always take pride in them. Spring, PCP, MSP, SSP and even CO2 it doesn't matter, they all do the job they are designed for if used properly.
    I'll challenge that bloke who thinks only a Barrett is a "proper rifle" to come and shoot pigeons in warehouses with me sometime, rats in a barn, or rabbits on a golf course. Just imagine the green keepers reaction to the divots some idiot with a .50 cal will make!
    Now I wouldn't take an air rifle deer shooting (unless it was a very serious large calibre one such as our U.S. friends use), I know that you use the proper tool for the job and I don't sneer at people who only shoot tin cans or paper targets. I don't shoot "BB" guns but I don't knock the people who do.
    Now will you please post a copy of the "advice" e-mail he sent? Obviously remove names and places but leave in all the comical parts?
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

Hombre, I think your idea that its a very British Class thing is baloney.
    There is some milage in that airguns are a boys first gun for plinking about. Historically true that poachers were known to use air rifles. And that working man's clubs had Bell Target leagues. But the rest is rubbish. Airgun shooting is as tricky as any of the shooting sports.
    Sure there is the Real Tree wearers over Tweeds, but in truth thats all baloney now too. There are those that still persist the "them and us", and both sides are appalling with there outdated attitudes.
    I don't care who I shoot with, or beat with, or share a target with, or compete against, we are there because we love shooting. Good manners, good conduct, top safety, good sportsmanship, are the things that matter. It should be fun and for all to enjoy.

Yes, there are big egos, but frankly I wish they were left at home. I'm out to enjoy myself with fellow shooting enthusiasts, or people who want to learn. Its a great sport, loads of different disciplines, and all there to enjoy. Killjoys can bugger off.

Be safe, have fun.

Shotgun vs Air Rifle Hunting as quoted from the late John Darling Air Rifle Hunting:

It is this elementary simplicity that attracted me to air rifles in the first place, and seduced me back to them even shooting nearly every type of weapon from spud-guns to machine-guns.

I can produce practically the same effect with a silenced air rifle as with a twelve-bore, so I'm happy to trade some quarry and the rifle's unsuitability to take flying shots for a peacefulness that is kind to the country-side.

Shot-guns remind me too much of a length of tube packed with nails and a stick of dynamite.

This makes me consider the rifle to be a superior weapon - it's so much more subtle.