Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Do Other Shooters Look Down At Airgun Owners???

chris u'5 is offline I'm a dumbass, it's official!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Lovely post, Nick.
    The smaller "audible footprint" (if that makes sense?) seems to make us more at one with our surroundings.
    I really like that Tony

I grew up in the countryside however I'm not some sort of outdoor survival expert but I genuinely love being out in the fresh air in the open countryside, it is my idea of paradise.

I wont lie, if I come home completely empty handed I can sometimes be a wee bit disappointed but even just a single squirrel, rabbit, pigeon or crow and it is a day very well spent for me.
    "Who's the only one here that knows illegal ninja moves from the government?"

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Which is a pity Rich as i suspect that air rifles outnumber all the other forms of shooting put together.
    Just a bit!

Last I knew there were about 250 000 shotguns in the UK. Probably about a hundred thousand or so fullbore firearms, rim and centre.

Airguns in circulation? Somewhere up in the millions.
    Good deals with these members

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    In response to the OP, yes they do, some anyway !
    When I was applying for my FAC Air many moons ago, I was described by a land owning friend of one of my referees as "a Poacher" just because I would be using an air rifle !
    “An airgun or two”………

Try posting this question on a powder burner forum...

... or move to Norway.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    With the exception of other airgunners EVERYBODY looks down on us.
    Master Debater

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    With the exception of other airgunners EVERYBODY looks down on us.
    And if you exercise your right to dress just as you bloody well wish, and wear camo, then you will get a lot of the holier than thou airgunners looking down on you

Camo and pop guns OMFG

PS Flecktarn rules (runs for cover not that I will need it as... I will be concealed )
    Last edited by rogb; 10-05-2017 at 04:33 PM.

Charlts is offline I'm not the Messiah, I'm King of the Creedbros!
    Leicester, Wigston, 171.27 miles North of Calais!
    I've found that precision rifle shooters have a lot of time for Airgun shooting and the skills required to be effective with them. I know a few full bore shooters who use Airguns a lot to help them practice their fundamentals. If you break it down then hitting a 20mm kill at 40y is half MOA accuracy, throw in a gusty winter league style wind and rain, it takes some doing.
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chris u'5 View Post
    Thanks guys

I'll be completely honest with you, the situation did shake my confidence slightly and I was starting to think "maybe I don't know what I'm doing?" and there's no doubt he made me feel stupid but after reading your posts it has made me even more determined to continue to learn, improve and enjoy the sport I love.
    You could do worse than join Tayside Airgun Club.

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Just a bit!

Last I knew there were about 250 000 shotguns in the UK. Probably about a hundred thousand or so fullbore firearms, rim and centre.

Airguns in circulation? Somewhere up in the millions.
    As of two years ago, there were 153,603 FAC holders, owning 525,125 FAC guns. And 528,494 SGC holders, owning 1,388,399 shot guns.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    As of two years ago, there were 153,603 FAC holders, owning 525,125 FAC guns. And 528,494 SGC holders, owning 1,388,399 shot guns.
    I stand corrected was going off a half remembered statistic from around the time of Derek Bird.

Any solid figures for airgun ownership?
    Good deals with these members

I went to a rather posh London School of shooting to get some air rifle pellets. The hooray Henry's in there tweed jackets and caps looked down at a mere mortal wearing Jeans and an Iron Maiden shirt, wondering what an oik like that is doing in ones shop. I got my pellets and started chatting to the assistant. I said excuse my ignorance in shotguns, but those two guns look identical so why is that one £5000 more than that one. Well this one is the XXXXL model which means it has a higher level of quality. You see the engraving on here and that bit on there and this bit here. Oh right I said, but does it make the gun fire any better. The salesman then said to me, that this sport is not really about the shooting, it's all about what you have to show off. He then showed me shotty's worth over £80,000. The very large majority of these people are so far up ones own butts you can just about see the £500 price tag on the sole of ones boots. We are regarded as the poor mans shooter, and the way they dismiss you when they have a look at our club I find quite amusing. They make a comment like, we prefer real guns that make a loud bang. I did turn around to one snooty git and told him then to stick it up his own butt and then pull the trigger. He just looked at me, went Huh and stormed out. Never seen the stuck up twatt since thankfully.
    We all have out own preference in life, I love my air rifles and thoroughly enjoy my hobby. I would never look down on anybodys hobbys, preferences or anything like that to be honest. I think it's because I am a normal person who enjoys life in the way I want to and not a super rich stuck up bell end, who loves putting people down. I am afraid in life whatever you do someone will try to put you down, don't let them get to you, that's what they want.
    Shooting Air Rifles is like being a pubic hair on a toilet seat.
    Eventually someone comes a long and P's you off.
    They usually have a PCP

Well I guess I am lucky, at the range I use there is a mix of air gunners, archery archers and clay shooters. Some of the clay shooters come over and have a go with us ,lowly types' and there exsists a friendly general p1ss take, but it is just that, friendly.
    What really gets up my nose is the attitude of the local RFD who won't speak or deal with the air types and gets the assistant, if he can be bothered, but if its anything to do with shotguns then its 'yes sir ,3 bags full etc.'
    All the best.
    Geoff.

if anything this thread has shown me that some airgunners are prejudiced against powder burners

Quote Originally Posted by artschool View Post
    if anything this thread has shown me that some airgunners are prejudiced against powder burners
    Right you are.