Thread: Smith's standard encyclopaedia of gas,air & spring guns of the world whb smith

Smith's standard encyclopaedia of gas,air & spring guns of the world whb smith

I have a copy that I inherited in excellent condition.

Is it worth anything or are they widely popular?

Brilliant read.

Circa 1957.

An original hardbound copy, here in the US, goes for $40-$50 last time I looked. Might be more in the UK.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    An original hardbound copy, here in the US, goes for $40-$50 last time I looked. Might be more in the UK.
    Has above if original hardback with the dust jacket 1st edition about £25+.
    if a reprint c1978 less.

Smiths.

I have two copies of said book. One original 1957 first edition complete with orig. cover i would value these at £40 TO £50.The other a 1980s.
    copy in excellent condition, got to be worth £30 to £40. A excellent reference book for the keen collector and enthusiast of air guns.
    Roly.

They start at £17.45 with 0.01p delivery on a well known auction site, and £18 with a small delivery charge on amazon. Presumably those are reprints.

I'd have thought that put a cap on what they were worth as a read. If someone would pay more for a first edition, good luck to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    They start at £17.45 with 0.01p delivery on a well known auction site, and £18 with a small delivery charge on amazon. Presumably those are reprints.
    I'd have thought that put a cap on what they were worth as a read. If someone would pay more for a first edition, good luck to them.
    For me it is the information contained that I am interested in. Hardback, softback, digital, photcopy, it doesn't matter much to me.
    Knibbs BSA book is an interesting example. Big on numbers and history but buggerall on the methods and process IIRC , the things which interests me more.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 10-05-2017 at 09:29 AM.

Thanks for the replies guys.

It is hardback with sleeve.

Looks like an original.

I like the category called 'freaks' in the introduction!

Bellows butt pads!

Great read and certainly not for sale.

What I find particularly interesting are the Mauser K98, SMLE and Nagant training kits for existing rifles.

As guess these are all fac regardless and like rocking horse poo to get hold of?

TIA

G

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    yeah, it's a very interesting book
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.