Thread: SSP v Pre charged question

SSP v Pre charged question

After an absence of 30 years! I'm looking to get back into 10m air pistol.

In my day (!!!) the fwb65 was the gun to have, I'd like to go for something like a fwb100 as not really ready to invest in a new pre charged pistol so was wondering how an older ssp compares to the latest generation pistols and also how fatigued would you get with an ssp over a full course as I have fond memories of the club Walther LP3 and the effort required to return the lever!

You will find there is a real following on this board for the classic match pistols and with a great deal of reason. The Fwb 100 will shot through the same hole at 10m all day every day.....but.....

The cocking effort required for a 60 shot match or 2 per session is likely to be a negative factor unless you are very fit. Even if that is the case, if you plan to shoot the best scores you can this effort has to be a disadvantage.

I love the older pistols (see my user name) and if I were just shooting for fun I would happily use one but would I use one in a match rather than my lp10 Evo? No chance!

Of the 'older' ssp's what would you recommend, also I'm left handed which means I need to either go for an ambi grip or ideally full anatomic left hand grip

ps new on the forum so cannot yet see whats for sale

Ssp

Hi all i have a Baikal 46m ssp and a FWB p44 short pcp and i prefer the Baikal tbh i find its more fun the FWB is just so clinical but thats just my opinion......would love a FWB ssp

I too have a Baikal 46m and love it, a fantastically accurate SSP, I actually had an FWB100 and preferred the Baikal as a shooter, all that said for a full match Its my Morini that takes preference every time. An good SSP is capable of shooting just as well, the pcp does it far easier. Just my opinion though.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

A FWB 100 is much easier to cock than a LP3, as the linkage is way ahead of the old LP3. It's a more accurate and tuneable pistol compared to a LP3 too.
    The biggest advantage with a FWB 100 or LPM-1 is that they are self contained and if the seals are new, then will last for a very long time with little maintenance. They also look nicer to my eye than pcp pistols

The pcp's appeal to me as they are self contained and don't seem to require so much servicing (based on what I'm reading) when funds allow I'm tempted to go for one, If I really get into 10m then appreciate I would need to upgrade in the future.

LPM-1 looks a really nice piece of kit! Just need to find one with left hand grip. What kind of prices do they go for?

Quote Originally Posted by Discocom View Post

LPM-1 looks a really nice piece of kit! Just need to find one with left hand grip. What kind of prices do they go for?
    LPM-1 Your looking at £600+ for a minty well sorted one with manual, tools etc

You will struggle with finding a factory L/H grip, but aftermarket may get you sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Discocom View Post
    The pcp's appeal to me as they are self contained and don't seem to require so much servicing (based on what I'm reading) when funds allow I'm tempted to go for one, If I really get into 10m then appreciate I would need to upgrade in the future.

The Rink left hand grip for a LPM-1 is the same as I have fitted to my CPM-1, they are 180 euros plus post, not cheap, but a very good bit of kit.

German ssps in good condition keep their price surprisingly well.

The FWBs are generally the ones people want, even though some suffer from poor external coatings that don't last unless you are extremely careful with them. I once put in an £800 bid for a mint FWB 103 but that was nowhere near enough. It went for much more. It was a beauty though.

If I were prepared to pay that sort of price, I would have gone for a new Steyr or Morini.

An ssp in reasonable condition will take a fair wedge from your wallet - the cost will also take you well along the price route to a well cared for, second hand pcp.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Thanks for answering my questions, really helpful.

I paid £350 for my LPM1 in fair condition and it shoots very well. Has about the same balance, weight and cocking effort as the Biakal. My Pardini P10 is really a lovely pistol although a little under powered. Cocks really easily and has a grip that could have been custom made for me.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at