Thread: Wanted - .577 Brass Case

Wanted - .577 Brass Case

Help - please........

Does anyone have any .577 Snider brass cases they would like to sell ?

I have a .577 Snider Carbine and would like a couple or three empty cases to display with the carbine.

Don't have to be reloadable as will be for display only.

Thanks in anticipation,
    Barrie.
    Regards,
    M151A1

will have a look in my scrap box,
    will get back to you,
    T

Please tell us about your Snider carbine. I have about two hundred .577 Snider cases...also, two Sniders, both Canadian. Great shame that one can't post images to this forum, prolly the only one on entire WWW were such a picture-rich subject has such a prohibition.

tac

Tac,

Thanks for the interest and you're probably right; a picture can be better than a thousand words !

The Snider is a cavalry carbine fitted with a saddle bar and ring on the left side of the action. It has the name 'V&R Blakemore' on the lock in front of the hammer and a crown to the rear of the hammer. Stamped under the barrel/action are the letters 'WHB' and each action part is stamped with a 'W'. Numerous stamps and marks on the barrel including '25' which I believe stands for 25 bore which is .577. There are no unit/regimental/military marks on the brass butt plate.

My limited research into V&R Blakemore appears to show that they procured military equipment particularly for South African Police/mounted militia etc rather than being actual manufacturers of weapons. Open to discussion on that ! The action, I believe, is a Mk3 with the locking latch on the opening breech. I believe the Mk 3 's were manufactured as new firearms rather than converted from the Enfield muzzle loaders.

My Snider carbine is in very, very nice working condition. The stock shows sign of use but is not unduly bruised or dented/dinged and has a nice 140 year + patina. The metal work is generally rust free and unmarked except for the lock which has sometime in its life suffered from surface rust and is therefore a little pitted, not horrendously so; adds character ! The action is good and tight and everything works as it should. The barrel is good and straight with a clean bore with clean five groove rifling.

I am a FAC holder but don't intend to shoot the Snider just accept it for what it is, a lovely piece of polished wood and machined metal manufactured in a bygone era and wonder at the stories it could tell !

The request for brass cases is to display with the carbine; a case or two complete with a Minie bullet would brilliant, nod, nod, wink, wink.

Hope I haven't gone on too much ?

Barrie
    Regards,
    M151A1

Blakemore made a large number of totally-civilian Sniders, too, but using MkIII steel barrels [that should be stamped on the breech]. The latch on the breech-block is another clue to the MkIII-ness of the action, as is the word 'STEEL' someplace near the breech, but on the actual barrel. Yours sounds beautiful, and it's a shame that the laws over here are so bloody awkward about shooting antique firearms that they have to go on an FAC as though they were a M109 Barratt .50cal. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

I used to shoot two Sniders many years ago, until things got pretty stupid here in Cambs with regard to the number of firearms one was 'allowed' before RFD-level security became mandatory. The latest two are both Canadian issue - one from a Volunteer Militia battalion in Ontario, the other, a very rare Québec Garrison Artillery short rifle imported before Confederation in 1867 and therefore devoid of the usual DC in diamond stamps. Both have like-new bores, and I've shot both - the three-band in Canada, and the SR here in UK. You can see me in action on Youtube, tac's guns Snider. The SR was a birthday gift from a VERY kind shooting pal, who just could not bear to watch me dribbling all over it whenever he brought it to the club. Thank you forever, John!

I'm happy to send you a couple of cases and bullets, but they won't be the correct ones for a Snider, just ordinary Miniés that I shoot in my Musketoon. The Snider does not shoot a Minié bullet, but a shorter, deeply-waisted solid-base bullet of .600" diameter. Martyn of X-Ring Services in Spokane WA, makes the correct mould, BTW.

PM me with your details, please, so we can get it done.

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 31-07-2017 at 10:43 AM.

did you get sorted for dummy rounds,?

Quote Originally Posted by TALL View Post
    did you get sorted for dummy rounds,?
    I bleeve that I've sorted him out, Sir.

tac

Tall & Tac,

Thank you very much both.

Tall for the thought and Tac for listening to me .....

Barrie
    Regards,
    M151A1

sniders are nice rifles in their own right.
    i have 4 at the moment.
    1 portugeuse 3 bander
    1 nepalese 3 bander
    1 british 2 bander and a civilian mk2
    yes martyn (pommyb ) does brilliant molds and cases for both snider and martini from cbc cases

Ford etc, package sent this morning.

See your PM

tac

'V&R Blakemore'

All,

A quick question ... ...

'V&R Blakemore' -

Did they actually manufacture firearms or did they procure/sell firearms/weapons/equipment for end users but manufactured by someone else ? (ie actually manufactured by BSA, LSA etc ... ... )

Barrie
    Regards,
    M151A1

Quote Originally Posted by FordM151A1 View Post
    All,

A quick question ... ...

'V&R Blakemore' -

Did they actually manufacture firearms or did they procure/sell firearms/weapons/equipment for end users but manufactured by someone else ? (ie actually manufactured by BSA, LSA etc ... ... )

Barrie
    With such a large number of surplus Sniders in the military at the time of the changeover in the middle to late 1870s, Blakemore, already a well-known maker, began assembling guns like this for the Raj, where Snider ammunition was readily available for 'leisure' purposes. Your gun may have been made for such a market - Rhodda of Calcutta made hundred of conversions, and re-assembled guns.

The use of a gun like this in UK was very limited - no large game, unless you count the Scottish Red Stag. I blame the Romans, me.

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 01-08-2017 at 02:15 PM.

Tac,

Arrived safe and well.

Thank-you.

Payment as discussed.

Barrie
    Regards,
    M151A1

Quote Originally Posted by FordM151A1 View Post
    Tac,

Arrived safe and well.

Thank-you.

Payment as discussed.