Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: le page

Disaster at the range today.
    Fired one shot & the nipple broke in two leaving half still in the barrel.
    Staff at the gun shop at the range tried to extract the other half of the broken nipple in there workshop,managed to unscrew it a bit but its still in there.
    Didn't want to try & force it out myself so dropped it off at Norman Clark's Gun Smiths in Rugby.
    Had to leave it with them as they were busy. Said it might be a five minute job or take an hour to sort, and that they would fit it in with there other jobs in the next week or two.
    I am hoping they take pity on me & sort it in a few days.
    I own several black powder firearms, taken the nipples off hundreds of times, never had anything like this before. Think it must have been a faulty nipple to break like that.
    The Gun Smith said he has seen it before & says its caused by people dry firing the gun in the shop?
    Spoken to Kranks they are sending me a couple of replacement nipples & I am waiting to hear back from the Manager.

Very frustrated shooter!!!!

wow it must be faulty,

sure your enjoy it when you get it back
    Last edited by gtpkeeper; 14-07-2017 at 04:00 AM.
    ballkeeper

I use semolina in most of my revolvers and single shot pistols and have done trials for accuracy (rested guns) and velocity. Using semolina the velocity drops a few fps (20-30) but seems to become more consistent. When I'm shooting for real it doesn't seem to make a damn bit of difference to my scores.

I think the only reason I do it now is for the conversation it causes. A femail associate of mine uses curry powder as a filler just to see how many people ask who's cooking curry?
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by Frag Muppet View Post
    Disaster at the range today.
    Fired one shot & the nipple broke in two leaving half still in the barrel.
    Staff at the gun shop at the range tried to extract the other half of the broken nipple in there workshop,managed to unscrew it a bit but its still in there.
    Didn't want to try & force it out myself so dropped it off at Norman Clark's Gun Smiths in Rugby.
    Had to leave it with them as they were busy. Said it might be a five minute job or take an hour to sort, and that they would fit it in with there other jobs in the next week or two.
    I am hoping they take pity on me & sort it in a few days.
    I own several black powder firearms, taken the nipples off hundreds of times, never had anything like this before. Think it must have been a faulty nipple to break like that.
    The Gun Smith said he has seen it before & says its caused by people dry firing the gun in the shop?
    Spoken to Kranks they are sending me a couple of replacement nipples & I am waiting to hear back from the Manager.

Very frustrated shooter!!!!
    Now you'll keep a broken screw/bolt remover in your possibles bag, right?

It usually takes less time to remove a broken nipple than it does to read what I've just written.

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 15-07-2017 at 10:35 AM.

Now you'll keep a broken tap remover in your possibles bag, right?

It usually takes less time to remove a broken nipple than it does to read what I've just written.

tac
    could you do a youtube video on that tac ?
    ballkeeper

Quote Originally Posted by gtpkeeper View Post
    could you do a youtube video on that tac ?
    I will next time I get a broken nipple on my one and only BP revolver. I have to admit that I've never seen a broken one yet, but there's time, I 'spose.

I amended my initial post for content. With a broken stud/bolt/screw you drill a suitable-sized hole in it [remember that a nipple already has one] insert the appropriate-sized stud remover - a left-handed thread item - and simply unscrew in the usual way. Harbor Freight sells a set of useful sizes for less than ten $$$.

tac

PS - the guy looking over my shoulder says B&Q do 'em, just like anywhere else. Halfords? Got no pound sign on my PC, hence use of $$$.
    Last edited by tacfoley; 15-07-2017 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    I use semolina in most of my revolvers and single shot pistols and have done trials for accuracy (rested guns) and velocity. Using semolina the velocity drops a few fps (20-30) but seems to become more consistent. When I'm shooting for real it doesn't seem to make a damn bit of difference to my scores.

I think the only reason I do it now is for the conversation it causes. A femail associate of mine uses curry powder as a filler just to see how many people ask who's cooking curry?
    All very culinary, but how does it help a guy with a busted nipple?

tac

Never seen a broken nipple.! Would have thought dry firing may mushroom the end possibly but they are pretty hard. Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    All very culinary, but how does it help a guy with a busted nipple?

tac
    May I refer you to posts 5,8,9,10,14 and 15 asking about the use of fillers. Perhaps it was too early in this thread for you to remember although you did ask the question on page 1.

As to removing a broken nipple, stud removers are available from Screfix and any number of engineering suppliers, even on the bay.
    Last edited by DesG; 15-07-2017 at 03:20 PM.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    May I refer you to posts 5,8,9,10,14 and 15 asking about the use of fillers. Perhaps it was too early in this thread for you to remember although you did ask the question on page 1.

As to removing a broken nipple, stud removers are available from Screfix and any number of engineering suppliers, even on the bay.
    I have a very short attention sp......Hey, look, an aeroplane!!!

tac

First Shoot with my new Le Page

Finally got to the range today to shoot my new Le Page .44 cal
    Norman Clarke Gunsmith removed the broken nipple without damaging the thread on the barrel (see previous post), got the Firearm back after 6 days & £18 charge.
    I have now got two new nipples from Henry Kranks.

See attached photo of target with five shots in it & the Pistol.

http://imgur.com/a/L8J2L

I am really impressed with the Pistol it shoots really well, not much recoil & is very accurate.Love the finger loop underneath the trigger guard.
    The target was shot at 20 yards
    The photo does not do justice to the Pistol the Maple wood is beautiful & the engraving on the metal work all over the Pistol is sublime.
    I used 18 grns of Henry Krank's Fine Black Powder & 15 grns of Semolina with a 10 thou patch & 435 ball.
    She fired without fault, I only needed to swab the barrel out once half way through 24 shots.
    The biggest problem I had was separating the lubed patches so I only loaded one with the ball.
    You really are only limited by your own ability and a steady hand with this pistol, much more accurate than my Black Powder Revolver.
    How they fought Duels with these back in the day is beyond me, as long as you kept your nerve & had a steady hand I cant see how you could miss!
    I need to make a tiny adjustment to the rear sight elevation as she is shooting slightly high, & I might also adjust the trigger to make it a slightly lighter pull.
    When I got home cleaning was a doddle. Put the Pistol on half cock, tapped out the wedge with a brass drift & the barrel just lifts up & out. Unscrewed the nipple & dropped it in a bucket of hot soapy water, then after a few minutes ran a brass brush & some patches through it with Muzzle Magic & gave it a wipe with a patch of Brunox before reassembly.

If your thinking about getting one of these I cant recommend it enough, cant wait to shoot it again!

Stuart

Last edited by Frag Muppet; 27-07-2017 at 05:54 PM.

Good post,thank you.

maple is really nice i think, your be hook on these soon Stuart
    ballkeeper

I need to make a tiny adjustment to the rear sight elevation as she is shooting slightly high, & I might also adjust the trigger to make it a slightly lighter pull.
    Stuart

Has it not got the set trigger? By pushing the trigger forward first to "set" the trigger my .36 is down to just a few oz's.

Nice group - freehand or rested?

Duelling

Finally got to the range today to shoot my new Le Page .44 cal
    Norman Clarke Gunsmith removed the broken nipple without damaging the thread on the barrel (see previous post), got the Firearm back after 6 days & £18 charge.
    I have now got two new nipples from Henry Kranks.

See attached photo of target with five shots in it & the Pistol.

http://imgur.com/a/L8J2L

I am really impressed with the Pistol it shoots really well, not much recoil & is very accurate.Love the finger loop underneath the trigger guard.
    The target was shot at 20 yards
    The photo does not do justice to the Pistol the Maple wood is beautiful & the engraving on the metal work all over the Pistol is sublime.
    I used 18 grns of Henry Krank's Fine Black Powder & 15 grns of Semolina with a 10 thou patch & 435 ball.
    She fired without fault, I only needed to swab the barrel out once half way through 24 shots.
    The biggest problem I had was separating the lubed patches so I only loaded one with the ball.
    You really are only limited by your own ability and a steady hand with this pistol, much more accurate than my Black Powder Revolver.
    How they fought Duels with these back in the day is beyond me, as long as you kept your nerve & had a steady hand I cant see how you could miss!
    When I got home cleaning was a doddle. Put the Pistol on half cock, tapped out the wedge with a brass drift & the barrel just lifts up & out. Unscrewed the nipple & dropped it in a bucket of hot soapy water, then after a few minutes ran a brass brush & some patches through it with Muzzle Magic & gave it a wipe with a patch of Brunox before reassembly.

If your thinking about getting one of these I cant recommend it enough, cant wait to shoot it again!

Stuart

On a duelling note, I re-invented the old eighties duelling comp a year or so back using two turning targets and a pair of microphones on a lock out circuit. The idea is that two opponents start with pistols at 45 degrees downwards facing the targets and when the targets face, point and fire. The mics detect the first to fire and light a green light for the first shot. Scoring is straight forward, first to fire and hit the target gets a point, if they miss the second to fire and hit gets the point. Everyone gets to shoot against everyone and a winner will emerge. It's surprising how your nice steady aim goes to pieces when you know you have to fire first to win! I can imagine what it was like on a cold misty morning with sweaty palms and probably a hangover to contend with!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi