Thread: Any issues mailing a airpistol to France

Any issues mailing a airpistol to France

I have a vintage airpistol up for sale on US site gunbroker. Have been asked the cost to send it to France. Not sure it's worth the hassle but have no idea if France is as restrictive as the UK?

It is the importer's business to be aware and to deal with this. Your only responsibility is to find a carrier who will handle this item, if that is not a problem then that is the end of it for you.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Unhappy

I enquired a few years ago about sending a Tempest to a friend in Cyprus, The PO wanted £56 SD was almost double that from memory!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I have a vintage airpistol up for sale on US site gunbroker. Have been asked the cost to send it to France. Not sure it's worth the hassle but have no idea if France is as restrictive as the UK?
    'Hassle' is the key word here, it will be and it would be you having to deal with it. Best sell it in the US

As far as power levels are concerned France is now more liberal than the UK in terms of when you need a certificate. You can't hunt with air weapons in France but that isn't relevant. I don't know if they have any oddities (like a ban on air weapons that resemble powder burners) but I would doubt it.

I'm with air-tech. If your punter is happy and you can be bothered to find international shipping (which may not be easy?) I don't think you would have an issue. But I'd be crystal clear with him that if there is any trouble with french customs or post that's his affair.

Finding a carrier is easy here because the regular post has no Airgun restrictions. I was at the post office this morning and he saw no problem sending it. I do have to fill out a customs form where I need to say what it is. The potential buyer in France says there are no issues there, he has purchased from a major mail order place in US that I use. If he assumes import risk seems ok to me, unless I'm missing something?

You are missing nothing. The buyer is "importing". His business. Even if there were restrictions in France it's still not your concern, heaven forbid that citizens in the US (or anywhere else for that matter) had to abide by French laws while in the US. That's not the way things work.

As long as you stick to your part of the deal and actually post the item using a service that will actually transport said item to the destination country, you did your part.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

I have imported many air rifles and pistols from all over (eastern)Europe/Asia and US to the Netherlands. It is indeed the importers business to consider legal issues.
    Finding a carrier is not too difficult since there are many available. I have found there is no pressing need to reveal the package contents, unless numbers and stakes are high. If the parcel is scanned or damaged during transit,
    it usually takes a bit longer and damage is not covered. In all the years, I have always received the package, but sometimes damaged or the item was in an unexpected state.

Simple things that you can do to prevent some sort of conflict (probably obvious for most of you):
    - Damage may occur during shipment. Agree on who is taking that risk and how/if it is covered. if you agree on returning an item, who is paying the fees. I normally have the stock and action separated when an air rifle is shipped to me. The package is more compact, better to protect against damage (leverage for breaking the stock)
    - Make sure both parties are aware the state of the object. High res photo's help, but discuss weak points in advance.
    - International payment: both parties are served by lower money transfer fees. Usually fees are involved for either seller or buyer: Paypal friends & international transfer in foreign currency ar at buyers/importers cost. Fees are limited though (5 -10 pounds). I have found that transfer in Euro's to a foreign account is cheapest, but you need to calculate the correct amount (buyer rate Euro's of recipient's bank). Bank transfer needs an International Bank Account Number (IBAN) and sometime a BIC code. All European account numbers were transferred into IBAN numbers a while back. It is on any of your bank statements or it can be derived online.
    Some people are just not comfortable sending an item abroad, so I also have a friends address available locally (in the UK, US and Germany) to make things easier.
    - Knowing the opposite party a bit better always helps. Part of the people I dealt with I got to know a bit better through special airgun interest-groups or by knowing fellow members. The Facebook Vintage airgun groups are a great addition (do join!).

Hope this adds to the discussion.