Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting at home and noise.

Shooting at home and noise.

Match pcp pistols are said to be too loud for shooting at home, especially if you live in a terrace or semi-detached property.

My house stands alone but neighbouring ones are fairly close. When I had my LP10 shooting in the garden was out of the question. Even when I used it in the garage, the sound really reverberated and could be heard outside.

So I used it indoors. But even then, I felt uneasy, as I was pretty sure that something would be heard beyond the exterior walls.

I no longer have that problem. My FWB80 is fine for indoor use and I can get away with using it in the garage. I just wondered how a ssp would compare for home friendly shooting.

Unless you are in a fairly isolated spot or have plenty of land the match pcp doesn't appear to be a good bet for those of us who shoot mainly at home. Especially the compact models.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Hi Arthur, I used to own an FWB P34 and a FAS604 but I am no pistol shooter and have since let them both go.

I agree pcp match pistols are quite noisy, I used to shoot in my garage but after complaints from the wife had to stop.

However the FAS was much quieter and was fairly acceptable to her indoors. The velocity of the FAS was a fair bit lower than the P34 and that could also have been a factor in a lower air blast from the muzzle.
    Life without happiness is no life at all.

Thanks Mark.
    Arthur

BigEars Guest
    I used to shoot my Rohm in the garden at times when no one was about but the LP10 is much too loud, it would be a noise nuisance so I drop by the club after walking the dog to get some sneaky practice session in.

I use my FAS604 all the time in our terraced house. Neighbors never heard a thing

I have found the noisiest thing about shooting in my household is the pellet hitting the back of the pellet trap, I think the most important thing is don't let your neighbors see your pistols get some net curtains or draw the curtains.

I always shoot into a box of carpet or paper with sub 6ft lb guns.

I've often considered a FAS, even the new 6004 version, but they seem to struggle to make 350fps.

Still I suppose they are fine if you aren't a competition shooter don't need to produce clean holes in the target.

I'm still wondering if I could get away with a pcp indoors with the curtains drawn and shooting diagonally from one room to another in the central area of the house. The double glazing might also help deaden the sound.

I should have tried it with my AA S400 without silencer before I sold it. I could have taken a shot and got the missus to stand outside and check the noise level.
    Arthur

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    I always shoot into a box of carpet or paper with sub 6ft lb guns.

I've often considered a FAS, even the new 6004 version, but they seem to struggle to make 350fps.

Still I suppose they are fine if you aren't a competition shooter don't need to produce clean holes in the target.

I'm still wondering if I could get away with a pcp indoors with the curtains drawn and shooting diagonally from one room to another in the central area of the house. The double glazing might also help deaden the sound.

I should have tried it with my AA S400 without silencer before I sold it. I could have taken a shot and got the missus to stand outside and check the noise level.
    For a minute I thought you were going to say "and hold the cigarette".

Blindfolded?
    Arthur

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    Blindfolded?
    You or the Mrs? Or both?
    I shoot a SAM11K out of my kitchen door down the garden, none of my neighbours have yet objected but the closest neighbour is a shotgun owner so he's already half deaf.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

Arthur,

I shoot at 6yd in my house.

With my springer rifles & pistols, the noise level is fine, and the shot cycle from them does not sound like what most members of the general public would call a 'shot'.

With my Baikal MP-46M, the noise level is higher, and a different note to the springers - but again, it does not sound like a 'shot'.

However, my Tau 7 CO2 makes a significant bang like bark, which is clearly audible outside in the street ; it does sound like what most members of the general public would call a 'shot'

Luckily, the neighbours both sides are into drilling, sawing, hammering, bashing etc., at all times of the day, and, so far, they haven't passed any adverse comments on sounds of 'gunfire'

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Thanks Russ.

I had considered a Baikal, but was wondering if at the age of 69 I would be able to handle the weight, and forward balance.

I am reasonably strong for my age but the 46m is a bit of a tank.

Many moons ago I too had a Tau 7, and it does go off with quite a crack.

Nice gun though.
    Arthur

I use an LP10.Shoot at the top end of the kitchen out thro the kitchen door to the bottom of the garden.Theres a 10 foot high brick wall there
    5 metres inside the house,5 metres outside.Main prob is hiding the target and going out to change it!! It is noisy inside but after 2 yrs no one has mentioned it
    I used a lead matt to stop the pellets.The other problem is its only for summer,whenever that comes,otherwise your letting the heat out.

I had a similar dilemma and in the end tried shooting in my loft which is boarded. As long as you have a quiet backstop there's little noise heard downstairs even from an LP10. It also can't be heard outside. The house is detached so I don't know if it would be heard by neighbors however.

As for pistols I would stick with the FWB80 as its quiet and very accurate. An SSP shouldn't be any louder however and some models may even be quieter including possibly the FAS 604/6004. I have a Daisy 747 SSP which is the quietest airgun I've ever used and it's very accurate with a good trigger. Unfortunately it's also a heavy, ill balanced, low powered lump of die cast metal and plastic. I'm not a fan as you can tell!

Many thanks.
    Arthur