Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something from 1974??

Something from 1974??

I don't usually venture into the collectibles section too often, however I'm currently smoking my pipe and have my slippers in place

Just wondering chaps about getting something different from my usual modernish type stuff and fancy something nostalgic and period to 1974

Always wanted to own a rifle that's as old as me but I haven't got a clue what would suit

I'm looking for something probably break barrel ish and something that will be used mainly for a bit of fun.

Nothing serious just something to plink with and at shorter ranges for home garage range and my clubs small pistol range up to 10yards so open sights would suffice.

My budget in theory could go up to £200 if something really tasty floats my boat but I'm not that familiar with 70's rifles or there price range it's probably only BSA that excuse the pun 'springs' to mind as the obvious one.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Nick

A Meteor might do the job and cost half of your budget

My Diana Mod 66 is from 1974 (or 1975, can't remember). One of those would fit the bill perfectly. It's break barrel, and recoil-less, see.

Get yourself a nice HW35 mate, mine is from the 70's and is as nice to shoot as any of my guns, atb Daz

Webley Mk3.
    FWB Sport.
    German "Original" Diana 27, 35, or 50.

[QUOTE=Binners;7258623]A Meteor might do the job and cost half of your budget [/QUOTE) As he says but if it's a BSA that floats your boat try the Meteors bigger brother the Mercury cracking rifle and brilliant for plinking in the garden on open sights Also try the Original 35/35S or Model 50 the latter great on open sights

Cheers chaps.

Are all these suggestions within budget?

The meteor as suggested looks to be well within budget however I'm not familiar with prices for the others suggested?

Also any suggestions on where is best place to find something vintage?

Usual places I would look are forums, guntrader, gunstar, freeads etc.

Any particular RFD's around the east mids that usually has the older stuff?

Must admit I do have a soft spot for Weihrauch stuff and the 35 is something I haven't tried.

Recently tried TonyL's lovely 80's Mk1 HW50 which probably planted a little seed as from what I gather this model also had the notorious weihrauch click like the 35 has which in a strange way I quite like.

My only dislike with the 35 is don't they usually have the snooker cue length barrel or was there a 70's carbine version?

Guess I could always dig the hack saw out

Any of the Originals mentioned above will fit the bill perfectly. Especially if you want good performance.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Webley & Scott Hawk Mk.II with interchangeable barrels (one in .22 and one in .177). Not particularly powerful, but if -- as you say -- it's a circa '74 break-barrel you are after, these fit the bill perfectly, are steeped in nostalgia, are quite cheap all things considered, but above all, are fun fun FUN. ...

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Once again cheers chaps for all the suggestions some excellent food for thought.

I think a wanted advert might be my best bet as the specific search for 74 is like a needle in a hay stack.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Going British, an early BSA Mercury possibly in .177 if you can find one !
    Plenty of time for "Air Teutonic" later.
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post
    Cheers chaps.

Are all these suggestions within budget?

The meteor as suggested looks to be well within budget however I'm not familiar with prices for the others suggested?

Also any suggestions on where is best place to find something vintage?

Usual places I would look are forums, guntrader, gunstar, freeads etc.

Any particular RFD's around the east mids that usually has the older stuff?

Must admit I do have a soft spot for Weihrauch stuff and the 35 is something I haven't tried.

Recently tried TonyL's lovely 80's Mk1 HW50 which probably planted a little seed as from what I gather this model also had the notorious weihrauch click like the 35 has which in a strange way I quite like.

My only dislike with the 35 is don't they usually have the snooker cue length barrel or was there a 70's carbine version?

Guess I could always dig the hack saw out

Now let me think

Doesn't have to be British, I mentioned BSA as I thought they would more than likely be within budget and probably more chance of finding something.

The bonus of an Original or Diana is that they come date stamped... with any luck you might find one stamped with your month and year
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Hi Nick, Early 70's Haenel 302 is a nice rifle , particularly in .177.

Slightly older, as they stopped production about 1970 is the Webley Falcon which has a very good build quality compared to the BSA Meteor. Solid steel cocking lever and trigger and a beautifully shaped well balanced stock. If you want to go a bit heavier the Mk3 Webley is the epitome of British engineering of it's era but usually needs a bit of fettling in order to make it shoot sweetly. A nicely finished one with a significantly grained stock does induce a sort of pride of ownership feeling.

As mentioned before German Dianas are usually very good as is the 35 Weihrauch with it's good build quality. I'm sure they'll be quite a variety possibly including some of the ones that have been mentioned in the last few replies that will be in evidence at the Boinger Bash where guid get the opportunity to try some out.
    Cheers Graeme