Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Glove Story

A Glove Story

I was at a 10m pistol squad session today at the Aldersley range in Wolverhampton, but afterwards decided to give my 'project' Haenel 303-S a bit of a try out. I was quite pleased to be getting a few 9's, but looking at some of the other serious rifle shooters with their full body leather trusses, I did begin to wonder about a glove; (partly because of some being on offer for £15 in the little NSRA shop there - all for left handed shooters through ).

Anyway, I have tried to do a bit of research about the desirable characteristics of these gloves; some are full fingered, others are short and with special pads etc, but I have ended up more confused! I got a hint that some of the variations are for prone/standing etc, and others are for field target, where the grip is with the palm, rather than resting on knuckles.

All I am thinking of is doing an occasional bit of standing rifle, indoors at 10m, so does any of you fine folks have a suggestion about glove choice? Should I even bother, and fashion myself one of these 'hamster' thingies instead?

Cheers,

Mark.
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Ahg Anschutz have good range and I have found the Color 2 model very good. It's a very versatile glove.

Thanks for the quick reply; so you feel a full finger design is the best style for the type of shooting I am thinking of?

Forgot to mention before that even though I am not from Yorkshire-land, I am nevertheless a tight git...

Mark.

Not necessarily. I think there are open fingered gloves that can provide an equally good platform for knuckle up position. I like the Anschutz as it provides this but is also good for cradling the fore end of a rifle in a sitting FT position. It's not an expensive glove and at my modest level it suits me fine.

Just had a face-palm moment, how would I be able to load a .177 pellet in a full fingered glove?

I think that may narrow down the choice to an open finger style, or a hamster...

You would struggle. I'm right handed and load with my right, un-gloved hand.
    I would break your Haenel with my left (gloved) hand and hold the barrel down while I loaded with my right.

Modski66,

I used to use a DeWalt open fingered work glove, and it worked OK-ish.

I then got a Gehmann 467 :

http://www.intershoot.co.uk/acatalog...n-467-420.html

and this worked really, really well

(I use it for 10m and HFT use.)

I had to cut off the elastic wrist band, as my fingers were turning blue and threatening to drop off

With the wrist part loose, it is a really comfortable and effective glove (for me).

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Thanks for the suggestions; £55 for one glove is a bit steep for me, especially as the rifle only cost £100! (Plus some of my priceless talent ).

The rigger/framer/carpenter gloves look like a possible option, but they all seem to be large, or nearly as much as a proper glove...???

Anyway, what are people's thoughts on the hamster idea as an alternative to get the 'stock lift' when standing? (I have lots of bits of wood in me shed! )

Cheers,

Mark.

The Anschutz Color glove is a reasonable £31.50 from intershoot. There may be cheaper options available.
    Hamsters are not my thing, sorry.

I sold my Haenel 303-S last week and 5 minutes later went and told the person that I would buy it back if they ever wanted to sell it. A very under rated gun I think. Even more so if you remove the weird orange laquer and make the stock a bit nicer.

Anyway! I would imagine that it would be a bit awkward with a full fingered glove. For me I would have to press the barrel release and cock with right hand, then transfer to left hand to hold barrel whilst I load with right hand.

A hamster might be easier but make sure you leave room for the full barrel sweep. I seem to remember the barrel comes quite a long way back...

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Mark
    The best glove which I recommend for standing air rifle is the KT Top grip half finger one (£55), and a half finger is easier to load, a cheaper but similar style option is the Schultz range, they do a similar half finger for £23.

Personally I'd invest in a more target focused rifle first, but every man to his own!

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Ah, now that is the thing about my little project, I purposefully chose a challenging rifle; partly as a tinkering exercise and partly as a bit of an exercise in minimalist shooting. My only criteria was to have dioptre sights, be a tap-loader, side-lever, or have a barrel latch.
    When I first had a go with a target rifle back in the eighties, I remember the technique shown to me involved jamming an elbow into a hip in a hunched-over position to get stability. Sadly, I did not continue shooting, life got in the way etc, but when I first went to a pistol competition at Bisley, I really could not believe the gear that the rifle shooters had on.
    So in my small foray into target rifle, I want to see what I can do without all the paraphernalia; I am still in two minds about the glove!
    I have no idea if my Haenel would qualify for the sporter class, but for now, I don't want to compete, just have an occasional change from pistol.

The eyecup you sent is working well, thanks again Robin!

Cheers,

Mark

Well done Mark,

The glove is the least necessary kit, and I coach an open hand position which is more solid and stable than the old style rolled knuckes.

The biggest advantage to the modern kit is protection from back injury, the myth that it is a massive advantage and unfairly supports is one put about by those who have never done it, OK yes it is an advantage, but its minimal, and the real stability is dependent on your correct technique, if the technique is wrong then never in a thousand years, and with the best kit in the world, you are not going to shoot competitive scores.

Have a look at Biathlon where they shoot in skin ski suits, the top German girls with superb technique get excellent results. I'm also aware of a top German Lady Air rifle shooter who a few years ago trained in shooting underware to reinforce her technique, and shot some incredible world level scores with no supportive kit.

The kit helps, but technique is the key, a stable well balanced position is vital, technique is king.

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

It's no use, I can't find any German woman shooting in their underwear on the Internet...

But more seriously, the biathlon rifles, although very different to 10m rifles, they all seem to have that extra stock depth ahead of the the trigger guard. Presumably this is to reduce the hunching from the elbow-on-hip stance?
    So would I be better with an increase in the stock depth (aka hamster) and holding it palm up? (I really must get a copy of your book!)

Best regards,

Mark.

A Hamster in match shooting is a small furry animal, I think that's cruel to attach one to a rifle, its an expression from FT, in match target shooting its the fore end.

The maximum depth of the fore end in Air rifle 10 mt match shooting has just been changed this year (2017) to 120 mm from bore line, it was previously 90 mm. This will help taller shooters and those with long necks, but will make little difference to the average shooter. I suspect your hunched up position is a result of you (in simplistic terms) taking your elbow to your hip, and hunching forward over the rifle and trying to muscle the rifle still.
    But even with a shallow fore end it is possible to form an un hunched and stable position for the average body shape, so don't butcher your classic rifle yet. (I wonder if there's a good book that could help you?)

The most stable position is to bring your body weight rearwards with back bend and with the head upright, some men can reach their hip with their elbow, most rest on their gut/rib cage. Women have prominent hips and short bodies and can rest on the hip, this is why there are specific women's classes, to protect us men, as they are generally more stable and better in standing shooting!

And yes, you really should get a copy of my book!

Have Fun,
    Robin