Quote Originally Posted by toxo View Post
I doubt the brass has stretched. Only been fired once with 9gr of LilGun. Hodgdon says start at 9.7. Others have said that's too much and have settled on 9.1 - 9.4gr. Apart from that it's only one or two that's loose. I did notice some were harder to get in than others. This is with Fiocchi primers which fit the Hornady shallow pocket nicely without poking out.
So assuming the brass hasn't stretched can anything be done? How much are the dies to neck down the 22 Hornet cases?
You could try Andy Allwoods in Bracknell for Accurate / Lovex powders. When I spoke to him a while back he could get them in. Or you could try the UK distributor www.westlander.co.uk
I have found that necking down 22 cases can work by trial and error. Using a Redding seeater I have necked down fired 22 Winchester brass with the plug removed as a first step, then full length sizing as a second step. This method did not work for new PPU brass, but using a Redding FL bushing die with the bush removed first and then again with the bush did work.
Both methods require plenty of lube and going slowly on the press, feeling for resistance. If you go too quick then the cases will crush.
Either method makes brass that will be too long to and it needs trimming to about 1.35" IIRC. After firing it will form and shorten to the required 1:34". Before firing it will need annealing or the shoulders will split. Using a socket in a cordless drill I rotated the case necks over a propane torch fine flame until I could visually detect a slight glow in the metal. I let them air cool afterwards.
About 9gn of Vihtavuori N110 with a Kranks 17gn HMR Vmax gives around 3500fps which is a usefully accurate fire forming load.