Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 17 hornet

Thumbs up

Perhaps the loose primer is possibly a badly cut primer pocket? Some of the early brass was known to have dished heads and pockets that were inadvertently cut with a slight taper. The flash holes looked a bit suspect too, especially looking into the case from the mouth, where they appeared to have a recess in the brass around them. This early brass generally had brass coloured primers as opposed to the later good brass with nickel coloured primers some batches of which were crimped in. One of the problems with the faulty brass was gas flow around the primer which can score the bolt face.
    It could be worth measuring the outside diameter of the case head to see if it has expanded. I once get stellar performance out of a 308 with way too much H4895. I only notice that I had junked the brass when it would no longer fit into a shell holder! It had grown about 0.004" and primers could be pushed in by thumb.
    If it hasn't grown then I would be tempted to find a slightly larger primer that does grip the pocket and carry on.
    I too had the case bulge above the web, but brass is still going strong 5 max pressure reloads later. I haven't reloaded my necked PRVI brass enough yet but it has not developed a bulge yet. Maybe more indication the Hornady stuff ain't all that great? According to Saubier.com the Hornady brass is actually contracted out and made by Sellior & Bellot.
    I have only tried both N110 with the 17gn bullets and it went well to 10.2gn where I stopped testing. I tried N110 and N120 with 20gn bullets, where N110 had the edge in accuracy and extreme spread at moderate speeds but as I pushed faster it quickly went to pot. I have had best performance out of Lovex D063 in 20 and 25gn bullets. If you can find some as reckon that is the powder to have.

I will definitely try to get a handle on these brass anomalies. If necessary I'll go down the necking down 22 cases route.

This is one place that influenced my Lilgun 8.9 starting load.

http:///?p=1095

Here'a guy that says 8.9gr. I had gone on to 9gr by this time. I won't go any further until I'm happy with what's going on and checked for consistency with the Chrony.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/thr...l-gun.3882672/

Bear in mind that Hogdon gives a start of 9.7gr with a max of 10gr for 20gr Vmax (which most people are saying keep away from).

I don't know yet how the qualities of different powders will influence my next powder purchase but I'm liking the look of H4198. The reason being that Hodgdon gives H4198 data for 20/25gr Vmax and 30gr Bergers of which I have a couple of hundred to test. Hodgdon also gives H4198 for 223 Rem. I have a couple of hundred cases but no rifle as yet. Maybe never will if I get the Hornet singing.

Don't know yet if I can get H4198 but has anyone used it in 17 Hornet?
    CZ 527 in 17 Hornet. Anchutz 1417 .22lr - Rapid Mk2 .22 fac @ 28ftlbs with BSA barrel
    HW100KT .22 @12ftlbs - RWS Scimitar .22 @ 12ftlbs - AA S200 .22 @ 12ftlbs
    Archer NV

Have tried H4198 and IMR4198 with 25gn bullets and speeds were about ~3300fps before filling the case with powder. Quicker burning can N120 give an extra 200fps but at primer blowing pressure.
    I have yet to test but I suspect the 4198s will be perfect with 30gn bullets.
    I have now got hold of Lovex D063 (or old Accurate Arms 1680) which I suspect will give fast velocities more safely. Wilson & Wilson Fieldsports in Manston has some. Also Brock & Norris was recently very helpful getting some to a shooting buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Guesty View Post
    Have tried H4198 and IMR4198 with 25gn bullets and speeds were about ~3300fps before filling the case with powder. Quicker burning can N120 give an extra 200fps but at primer blowing pressure.
    I have yet to test but I suspect the 4198s will be perfect with 30gn bullets.
    I have now got hold of Lovex D063 (or old Accurate Arms 1680) which I suspect will give fast velocities more safely. Wilson & Wilson Fieldsports in Manston has some. Also Brock & Norris was recently very helpful getting some to a shooting buddy.
    In the future I may decide on one powder/bullet/weight but H4198 looks a good compromise at the moment. Haven't been to Wilsons yet but I will soon. It's only forty minutes from me. Van's in the shop at the moment though so will have to wait a bit. Newly passed Granddaughter thinks that's a loooooong way away but I'm working on her.
    CZ 527 in 17 Hornet. Anchutz 1417 .22lr - Rapid Mk2 .22 fac @ 28ftlbs with BSA barrel
    HW100KT .22 @12ftlbs - RWS Scimitar .22 @ 12ftlbs - AA S200 .22 @ 12ftlbs
    Archer NV