Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many of you never tune your springers?

How many of you never tune your springers?

Just wondered if they sort of run in over time.

Tuning would appear to make them smoother, but how much more accurate?
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Arthur,

I always tune springers that are new to me. It sets them to a common, good baseline.

Exceptions are 10m springer match rifles, which get a service by somebody competent.

I doubt whether the tunes in themselves make the rifles any more intrinsically accurate, but they do make shooting them accurately less difficult.

A sweet, crisp trigger, and smooth action/recoil, make practical accuracy less difficult to achieve for me.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

I dont bother tuning new rifles,most people do but my hw99s was bought new,its a monster out the box so ill leave it at that,i had a hw95k brand new i wasnt totaly happy with it for power that could have done with tuning but i did a part ex on it cos i like .177 better.just depends how they perform steaight out the box.

Depends what you mean by tuning.
    I consider tuning to be replacing parts or drastically modifying the original parts (e.g piston lightening). In this case I've only 'tuned' one of mine to reduce the twangyness

However I will service all of my springers. This might mean new seals, grinding/polishing spring ends/re-lubing. I don't consider any of this to be tuning, just maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    Depends what you mean by tuning.
    I consider tuning to be replacing parts or drastically modifying the original parts (e.g piston lightening). In this case I've only 'tuned' one of mine to reduce the twangyness

However I will service all of my springers. This might mean new seals, grinding/polishing spring ends/re-lubing. I don't consider any of this to be tuning, just maintenance
    I totally agree with the above.
    Another factor for me is how poorly finished the internals CAN be on some guns and the fact that some are very poorly lubed. My take on this is that in the same way that I wouldn't drive round in a car which was oil starved neither would or should I be shooting a gun that sounds like a bucket of nails. I just plays on my mind the potential for wear if a gun has poorly lubed at the factory. Besides after market lubes are invariably superior to factory stuff in any event. Warranties can be the sticking point however. Unless the gun is second hand or is out of warranty.
    Dave

I'm sure they would run in over time, but I like to make sure they are properly lubed in all the right places and not just a blob in front of the piston seal.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    I agree with the above
    Dave
    Same here, it's satisfieing to get a factory gun to shoot nice with only a deburr, polish and lube but would just add that sometimes a inexpensive guide kit is required and you even get the lube thrown in if you get a tinbum guide kit.😎

Agree with all of the above posts.

I do have a few which have never been apart, but these tend to have been bought, tried, deemed good and hardly used since purchase. If I were to be using them in earnest, or if they felt in need of a little TLC, they'd be having a fettle. Sometimes a comprehensive one, sometimes more of a thorough check, de-burr and relube as per above.

And yes, most standard guns do tend to just smooth out with use as all the parts get to know one another more intimately, some even seem to get less twangy.

If one feared that there may be undue wear occurring, or if under or over-lubed, they benefit from a strip and check etc.

Sometimes a tune may improve accuracy. Sometimes it may not have improved accuracy as such but, as mentioned above, if it is easier to shoot this will give the shooter the opportunity to get to that accuracy easier. And there's always the psychological advantage.......

But then a badly "tuned" one could exhibit reduced accuracy (or worse)!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    Just wondered if they sort of run in over time.

Tuning would appear to make them smoother, but how much more accurate?
    With the exception of my Prosport with the Vortek kit, all I do is just enough to take any twang out. I am not that keen on altering a stock springer and in effect build a new rifle based on the platform.

A.G

I like to add a fitted guide in plastic or steel. I sort through my old steel factory TX200 guides and find one that fits the spring I have. I use quality lubes and a new seal as well, but I don't think this is really a tune. An accurate springer will be just as accurate with the factory set up, unless it has a bad seal or busted spring. As has already been said, the fitted guide will make the gun smoother and more of a pleasure to shoot.

Blackrider is online now It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    If I ever buy a new gun I usually have an urge to keep it that way. Well for a while anyway and maybe until it decides to "misbehave" lets say !
    Then I'll have it fettled if its major or I may have a go myself.
    Somehow though, I prefer to leave it alone, knowing that I was the original owner and it will remain that way while ever I own it !

Guns I have bought second hand, well I'm at liberty to do whatever I deem fit and I don't have an issue with that. Some have been SFS'd, V-Glided, V-Mached, Tinbummed, or otherwise !
    “An airgun or two”………

I only buy old springers these days.

If they shoot well, I leave them alone.

If they don't, I either work on them, or (more likely) put them aside to work on at some theoretical time in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I only buy old springers these days.

If they shoot well, I leave them alone.

If they don't, I either work on them, or (more likely) put them aside to work on at some theoretical time in the future.
    That's pretty much where I'm at the majority of the time.
    To get around to tweaking them all as I would want would take no small amount of funds and quite a few weekends so I'm in no rush....
    Dave

Thanks for the replies.

I know most springer owners don't bother to tune, but we are not just ordinary owners.

I think it's fair to say that anyone who joins an airgun forum is an enthusiast.

We love our guns, and, as I expected, most people who have replied like to improve them, even if it's just some small way.

But I've heard tales of Weihrauchs for instance, that twang and diesel like Billio, and yet are phenomenally accurate.

Does the twang and dieseling eventually go away.

Don't get me wrong. I love my springers and love to improve them, and my question was more academic than anything else.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

I know most springer owners don't bother to tune, but we are not just ordinary owners.

I think it's fair to say that anyone who joins an airgun forum is an enthusiast.

We love our guns, and, as I expected, most people who have replied like to improve them, even if it's just some small way.

But I've heard tales of Weihrauchs for instance, that twang and diesel like Billio, and yet are phenomenally accurate.

Does the twang and dieseling eventually go away.

Don't get me wrong. I love my springers and love to improve them, and my question was more academic than anything else.
    I replaced and retired my 1986 HW80 in 2008 with another brand new HW80 but Screw cut this time which I still have. Out the box it bounced about, whaling like a banchee and grouped like a design on a plate. Sent to Dave Hall B&C after few months and he made it into a peach to shoot with groups as tight as my wallet.
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.