Thread: How to fill woodworm holes?

How to fill woodworm holes?

Evening all,
    Whilst I am waiting for the seized screw on my Musketeer to unstick I thought I would do a little to the stock. I want to fill the woodworm holes and strengthen the stock and initially thought I could make a tin into a vacuum box which I could use to suck varnish into the holes. For various reasons I have decided not to do this.
    Instead I am thinking I will inject the varnish, but where can I get a syringe with a woodworm hole sized needle?

Does anyone have any other suggestions for filling the holes, I want to fill them deep rather than shallow?
    Cheers
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Have you tried inserting cocktail sticks with a dab of glue on the ends.
    When dry ,cut and restain to suit colour of stock

depending on how many you have to do and your patience levels, French polish cocktail stick as a nib to run it into the hole.

prepare yourself for a long evening.

Lee

Thumbs up

I would find a bit of hardwood a little lighter in colour, Rub it with some abrasive paper and catch the dust then mix it with a bit of PVA white glue until stodgy then push it in with a spreader and wait to dry, You could go over it with a wet cloth so there no rubbing of the stock if you don't want to refinish it...

Mixing the wood dust with the glue makes for a slightly darker finish if you use the wood dust from the stock so i'd try to find something a little lighter

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Pva

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I would find a bit of hardwood a little lighter in colour, Rub it with some abrasive paper and catch the dust then mix it with a bit of PVA white glue until stodgy then push it in with a spreader and wait to dry, You could go over it with a wet cloth so there no rubbing of the stock if you don't want to refinish it...

Mixing the wood dust with the glue makes for a slightly darker finish if you use the wood dust from the stock so i'd try to find something a little lighter

John
    Excellent advice. I would wet the wood well first. This will help the PVA and dust get into the holes. PVA will mix with water!
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dunkley View Post
    Excellent advice. I would wet the wood well first. This will help the PVA and dust get into the holes. PVA will mix with water!
    That's what I was intending to do once I had filled the deeper parts of the hole (or possibly the cocktail stick method instead) hopefully it would prevent any filler from being able to sink into the void.
    Rich

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    l would inject it with woodworm killer first as the little blighters might still be in there. if you do inject with the varnish l would thin some down with white spirit as that would flow deeper into the holes. you should be able to get a syringe of *bay best of luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    l would inject it with woodworm killer first as the little blighters might still be in there. if you do inject with the varnish l would thin some down with white spirit as that would flow deeper into the holes. you should be able to get a syringe of *bay best of luck with it.
    I may have taken a very long time to not get very far but I did treat it for woodworm immediately upon purchase