Thread: Finish on FWB Lp100 and 102

Finish on FWB Lp100 and 102

I suppose you might expect wear to the cocking handle over time, but these guns often have tatty looking actions too.

Is this mainly due to the fragile nature of the finish or the way it has been applied, or lack of care by the owner?

The reason I ask is that I have seen a near mint Fwb 100 for sale at £675 posted. It does in fact look mint and I have been giving it serious consideration. I have sold one or two items and could just about stretch to it. However, although it looks nice, I do wonder how quickly it would wear if I shot it every day. Most of the ones I see are pretty grubby.

£675 is quite a bit to pay for a 30 year old gun, and the grip is large, when my size is medium, so , if I got on with it, I would eventually have to shell out for a new grip. I know the Feinwerkbaus are the gold standard but I am wondering if I would be wiser to go for a new Baikal 46m for £275.
    Last edited by Arthur John Smithsplease; 16-05-2017 at 08:39 PM.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    I suppose you might expect wear to the cocking handle over time, but these guns often have tatty looking actions too.

Is this mainly due to the fragile nature of the finish or the way it has been applied, or lack of care by the owner?

The reason I ask is that I have seen a near mint Fwb 100 for sale at £675 posted. It does in fact look mint and I have been giving it serious consideration. I have sold one or two items and could just about stretch to it. However, although it looks nice, I do wonder how quickly it would wear if I shot it every day. Most of the ones I see are pretty grubby.

£675 is quite a bit to pay for a 30 year old gun, and the grip is large, when my size is medium, so , if I got on with it, I would eventually have to shell out for a new grip. I know the Feinwerkbaus are the gold standard but I am wondering if I would be wiser to go for a new Baikal 46m for £275.

I've looked at that FWB100 too Arthur, but it is too much money now that old age has caught up with me. My FWB602 rifle is probably about the same age though, and still looks good however. From the reviews I've read of the Baikal, the early ones had an 'agricultural' finish, but people seem happier with the new ones though.

I did try to order a Baikal from my local gun shop incidentally, as they have an account with SGC, but they can only be bought direct from SGC who are only taking pre-orders (due to the Russian Sanctions) for them at the moment. Postage would be £10 for one, plus in my case another £25 handling fee for my local shop. I am therefore considering a BRNO Tau 7 in CO2, which would work out at £475 in total.

TonyW

Hello Tony.

The Tau is a very good gun.

Heavy but well built, and very accurate in the right hands.

Are you sure the Baikal's for sale at SGC aren't being posted direct to purchasers from Russia? If that were the case, there would be no need for the services of an RFD.
    Arthur

Hello Tony.

Are you sure the Baikal's for sale at SGC aren't being posted direct to purchasers from Russia? If that were the case, there would be no need for the services of an RFD.

I don't to be honest Arthur. All that I have is a reply from SGC in which they say that they are taking pre-orders. Usually this means that they need enough retail orders to place a wholesale order with their supplier, Baikal in this case. I once bought an airgun from P

Hello Tony.

Sorry, miskeyed so there's half a reply somewhere. Perhaps the moderators could join this second half to it please?

I've bought direct from Poland though, without any problems, but I don't know about Russia, what with all of the current politics.

As I am waiting for some physio on my shooting shoulder, thanks for the warning on the Tau! The 46M is quite heavy too apparently, and nose heavy at that, so I may have to look at the AA Alfa instead.

TonyW.

From what I've heard you'd be better off buying an old second hand match pcp by Steyr, Morini, Walther, Pardini, Feinwerkbau, Sportsmatch, Tesro, Hammerli, Pardini or Benelli rather than the Air Arms.
    Arthur

The trigger lets the Alpha down, It's bloody awful and not match quality at all, I have an Alpha Proj Classic and moved it on very quickly,

The Baikal is somewhat agricultural looking but is easy to cock, has a great trigger and superbly accurate, for the money it really is hard to beat IMO, I can match the scores of my Morini 162 without issue using the Baikal on short comps, never used it for a 60 shot Match but certainly for a club night I can achieve like for like, I actually shot my only 50/50 with the Baikal, The grip took a little work but other than that its box standard, I favoured it over my FWB100 but that may just be a personal preferance for the weight and balance. I've also owned a couple of Tau's over the years and also found them excellent for the money.

Used is always a good option, for the cost of a new Tau you may find a Steyr LP1, Morini 162e, FWB or Walther CP all of which would be a great buy if they have been looked after and will actually hold their value.
    Last edited by nige346; 07-06-2017 at 11:18 PM.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more