Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CP88 Ejector Port Cover - is one available ?

CP88 Ejector Port Cover - is one available ?

Morning all.

I’ve bagged myself a nice 4” CP88 in nickel with wood grips, it was originally purchased at the Midland Game Fair back in 1997 off the Brocock stand by a friend, so he’s had it for 20 years !! and its now mine. Bloody nice it is too.

Now, as always when you get a ‘new’ gun, you tend to want to make it your own, I’ve replaced the grip and frame screws with stainless ones and I’m now looking to get the ejector port covered with a nice shiny plate to make it look more realistic.

Which brings me to the reason for my post…

Does anybody know of a source for an ejector port cover that replicates the shiny barrel effect ?

Nick at magic9 has made them in the past for the Colt 1911 variants, but I’m not having any luck getting in touch with him.

Also, my pistol has a definite champagne tint to the nickel plating, is this normal, is it just my un-white-balanced eyes messing with my head ? Its shows silver in photos, but in daylight there is a definite gold sheen there.

Cheers in advance for any pointers.

stagmanv835 is offline i tend to drink while on the bbs
    My 6" I bought back in 2004 had the same champagne tint you describe the newer ones I have seen have a more matt greyish finish
    You only have the rights you are willing to fight for

HI mate, yeah unfortunately nick can be very hard to get hold off, to be totally honest I give up quite awhile ago now, which is a shame as he did some good stuff.. I got ejection port cover for the umarex 1911..

Have you thought about making your own? Its easy to do just by using a drinks tin can..

Lol hmm I sense another how-to video for me to make now..

Happy shooting mate..
    ATB, Marc..
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta303 View Post
    Morning all.

I’ve bagged myself a nice 4” CP88 in nickel with wood grips, it was originally purchased at the Midland Game Fair back in 1997 off the Brocock stand by a friend, so he’s had it for 20 years !! and its now mine. Bloody nice it is too.

Now, as always when you get a ‘new’ gun, you tend to want to make it your own, I’ve replaced the grip and frame screws with stainless ones and I’m now looking to get the ejector port covered with a nice shiny plate to make it look more realistic.

Which brings me to the reason for my post…

Does anybody know of a source for an ejector port cover that replicates the shiny barrel effect ?

Nick at magic9 has made them in the past for the Colt 1911 variants, but I’m not having any luck getting in touch with him.

Also, my pistol has a definite champagne tint to the nickel plating, is this normal, is it just my un-white-balanced eyes messing with my head ? Its shows silver in photos, but in daylight there is a definite gold sheen there.

Cheers in advance for any pointers.
    I have seen a few of the silver ones with a tint to the finish, think my mate gingernut has one. I am surprised you don't make the cover yourself, nothing much to it. Make a pattern from thin cardboard or paper and transfer the shape to a very thin sheet of metal which you bend to fit and glue on. Thin metal you can cut with ordinary scissors.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    About 4 or so years on I am still waiting for my 1911 ejection port cover (and my 586 sights which were sent to him to be customised), so my advice is don't bother with Magic9.

In the end I just masked it up, stripped the paint from the ejection port, and polished the nuts off it with autosol. Looks great.
    Good deals with these members

Cheers for the responses guys.

I must admit it never entered my head to use some thin sheet metal and make my own, I'm deffo gonna give that a go.

The stripping of the paint and polishing sounds like the best option, but too risky for me, if I balls it up I'd be seriously depressed with that !

On the champagne tint, it does look really nice and to be honest I think it looks a lot better than the newer brushed silver effect variants, I suspect a manufacturing cost cutting measure there.

Thanks again, I'm off to buy a can of coke and have a fiddle with some of the wifes best dress making scissors. If I do a half decent job, I'll post some pics.

Cheers for the responses guys.

The stripping of the paint and polishing sounds like the best option, but too risky for me, if I balls it up I'd be seriously depressed with that !
    yeah and as good as this method is, ive done it to a few guns, it does devalue them, a least with covers you can remove them without damaging the paint job..

try the tin can job, or even a good quality aluminium tape can do the trick too..

good luck mate

ATB, Marc..
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

Quote Originally Posted by Marc.RG1 View Post
    yeah and as good as this method is, ive done it to a few guns, it does devalue them, a least with covers you can remove them without damaging the paint job..

try the tin can job, or even a good quality aluminium tape can do the trick too..

good luck mate

ATB, Marc..
    Aluminium tape sounds like it could just about be perfect, thanks for the heads up Marc.

Right then, pics here of my 20 year old CP88 with the ejector port covered with aluminium tape, its a bit fiddly to apply and deffo needs a template making first, but does a good job. Though I think I'm gonna possibly redo it as I reckon I can get it looking better.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Nice work! Ali tape can be polished too.
    Good deals with these members

Right then, pics here of my 20 year old CP88 with the ejector port covered with aluminium tape, its a bit fiddly to apply and deffo needs a template making first, but does a good job. Though I think I'm gonna possibly redo it as I reckon I can get it looking better.

for what it's worth, I think that looks great! I was going to order one from magic 9 for my 1911, but now I'm just going to buy some tape!
    Far too many guns to mention here. Lets just say more then the wife knows about but still less then I would like

Aluminium tape sounds like it could just about be perfect, thanks for the heads up Marc.
    No problem mate
    You did a good job on that, it looks good..
    ATB, Marc..

Quote Originally Posted by shining_bullet View Post
    for what it's worth, I think that looks great! I was going to order one from magic 9 for my 1911, but now I'm just going to buy some tape!
    Yeah be better of making your own to be fair, you could wait months just for nick to reply unfortunately..
    My aluminum tape trick works a treat or a cut up fizzy drinks can
    ATB, Marc..

Cheers guys, the tape works well, but to help things along I cut a template from a cardboard tube taken from a toilet roll first to make things easier, then simply cut the tape to match and gently rolled it over the recess in the slide, using an earbud thingy to gently smooth it out.

I'm not sure how resilient it will be but as mentioned above using a drinks can is an option, and will be tougher, but more permanently fixed, whereas the tape can be removed easily if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc.RG1 View Post
    Yeah be better of making your own to be fair, you could wait months just for nick to reply unfortunately..
    My aluminum tape trick works a treat or a cut up fizzy drinks can
    ATB, Marc..
    It does indeed, save all that messing around with a drinks can!
    Far too many guns to mention here. Lets just say more then the wife knows about but still less then I would like