Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
We did indeed!

mind you I shot a 4 shot 2.5" group at 300 yards in a 5 mph wind yesterday, 5th shot was a flier unfortunately by some way, that's getting 3100-3150 with a 40 gr tipped nosler varmint. At 100 yards they are giving 1/2 Moa and the load seems temperature stable as load testing was done at 1 degree, yesterday was 17-18 degrees and I had been a bit worried about getting pressure but had no signs.

I had 3 accuracy nodes giving 1/2 moa or less at 100 for 3 or 4 shots, all nearer Hogdgon's old max load than their current one ... and they're a massive jump from your load!

The only thing with 'one book one calibre' is unlike manufacturer's websites they are always going to be out of date data which puts me off, plus I'm loading 7 calibres now so it's cheaper to get information from manufacturers on the net making sure I cross reference 2 or 3 sources when deciding on a max load (with Guesty and his QL. As a back up for stuff I just can't find).

Edit. I'd best just add all the loads I mention are worked up safely and are safe in my rifle, they may not be in others I'm not suggesting anyone, experienced or otherwise, start off near current published maximum or exceeds it.
As per the point I made above (or tried to make) the OP asked about Sierra 40gn you're using Nosler 40gn ballistic tip & Nosler (like Speer) agree more or less with Hodgdon, with the book giving 11gn-13gn at 1.723" coal.

I agree a double check with the bullet manufacturers web site is always a good idea.