Thread: Airtech regged regal - my experience and not impressed at all

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Baxterbasics View Post
    Which is illegal if you transport or post it.
    Only if the magazine is loaded and only a fool would put a loaded magazine in a gun and post it. If the magazine is empty no offence has been committed as the gun is not loaded!

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    Only if the magazine is loaded and only a fool would put a loaded magazine in a gun and post it. If the magazine is empty no offence has been committed as the gun is not loaded!
    Wrong you should read the law on magazine airguns

Many air guns have multishot magazines. The Firearms Act 1968 states that if you
    have a magazine fitted to your airgun it is deemed to be loaded irrespective of
    whether the magazine contains ammunition or not. Additionally, if a magazine
    contains any ammunition (one pellet or more) the gun is deemed to be loaded even if
    the magazine is not fitted to the gun. Never have in your possession a magazine
    that is even partially loaded when not on your own property, a recognised club or
    land where you have permission to shoot and never transport your air gun with an
    empty magazine fitted. Despite the fact that there may be several feet between the
    magazine and your air gun, it is still deemed to be loaded as in law the magazine is
    considered to be part of the gun and you will face prosecution. There no defence in
    law to this charge.

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by villaman View Post
    Wrong you should read the law on magazine airguns

Many air guns have multishot magazines. The Firearms Act 1968 states that if you
    have a magazine fitted to your airgun it is deemed to be loaded irrespective of
    whether the magazine contains ammunition or not. Additionally, if a magazine
    contains any ammunition (one pellet or more) the gun is deemed to be loaded even if
    the magazine is not fitted to the gun. Never have in your possession a magazine
    that is even partially loaded when not on your own property, a recognised club or
    land where you have permission to shoot and never transport your air gun with an
    empty magazine fitted. Despite the fact that there may be several feet between the
    magazine and your air gun, it is still deemed to be loaded as in law the magazine is
    considered to be part of the gun and you will face prosecution. There no defence in
    law to this charge.
    Just read this bit!

(3)This section applies to every firearm except—

[F1(a)a shot gun within the meaning of this Act, that is to say a smooth-bore gun (not being an air gun) which—

(i)has a barrel not less than 24 inches in length and does not have any barrel with a bore exceeding 2 inches in diameter;

(ii)either has no magazine or has a non-detachable magazine incapable of holding more than two cartridges; and

(iii)is not a revolver gun; and]

(b)an air weapon (that is to say, an air rifle, air gun or air pistol [F2which does not fall within section 5(1) and which is] not of a type declared by rules made by the Secretary of State under section 53 of this Act to be specially dangerous).

Under 12 ft lb, so you can put the magazine in the gun. Now as it is a pcp it should be transported devoid of air too, so it should also be in a condition which means it cannot be fired!

[QUOTE=secretagentmole;7267692]Just read this bit!

(3)This section applies to every firearm except—

[F1(a)a shot gun within the meaning of this Act, that is to say a smooth-bore gun (not being an air gun) which—

(i)has a barrel not less than 24 inches in length and does not have any barrel with a bore exceeding 2 inches in diameter;

(ii)either has no magazine or has a non-detachable magazine incapable of holding more than two cartridges; and

(iii)is not a revolver gun; and]

(b)an air weapon (that is to say, an air rifle, air gun or air pistol [F2which does not fall within section 5(1) and which is] not of a type declared by rules made by the Secretary of State under section 53 of this Act to be specially dangerous).

Under 12 ft lb, so you can put the magazine in the gun. Now as it is a pcp it should be transported devoid of air too, so it should also be in a condition which means it cannot be fired![/QUOTE

Sorry you can not have a empty mag in a gun unless you are on your ground or club you are shooting at

I know that BSA ship there guns with the magazine in situ because I've opened a few. I wouldn't have thought they'd do this if it was illegal.

Chris

As I understand it, you cannot have a magazine In an air rifle even if empty and gun is sleeved, the magazine has to be out of the gun, stored in a separate compartment. I may be wrong on that, unsure where I found the info from but it has stuck in my mind.

I think you would be pretty unlucky to fall foul of that, but if it is the law, then your committing an offence.

Mole, when you say, as it's a pcp it should be transported devoid of air, are you talking about postage or generally transported, i.e., in my vehicle to my perm ?
    If postage, I thought it was any pressure vessel regardless if empty or not.

Isn't it about time our laws were simplified so all these grey areas were defined clearly.

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabid View Post
    As I understand it, you cannot have a magazine In an air rifle even if empty and gun is sleeved, the magazine has to be out of the gun, stored in a separate compartment. I may be wrong on that, unsure where I found the info from but it has stuck in my mind. Not if the air rifle is sub 12 ft lb

I think you would be pretty unlucky to fall foul of that, but if it is the law, then your committing an offence.

Mole, when you say, as it's a pcp it should be transported devoid of air, are you talking about postage or generally transported, i.e., in my vehicle to my perm ?
    If postage, I thought it was any pressure vessel regardless if empty or not. By Royal Mail. They do not like pressurised containers yet they ship CO2 capsules?

Isn't it about time our laws were simplified so all these grey areas were defined clearly.
    Not according to the letter of the law, That does not apply to a Sub 12 air rifle!