Thread: Where you shoot yours?

Where you shoot yours?

Hello all!!!!!
    Forgive me for sounding bit of an outsider and some would say a naive idiot but where do you blokes shoot your guns, is there clubs?
    I have looked online but there is very little information other than reinactments and pictures of all muzzleloaders imaginable which some are beautiful examples too
    I know it's targets only and no live stuff and looks like fun from what I've seen at Bisley on occasions but other than that...

I am genuinely interested!!!!

Thanks
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

There are plenty of clubs but, given the general view of firearms in this country, I suspect many like to keep a fairly low profile.
    Most will be affiliated with the NRA and/or MLAGB so they should be able to point you at one in your area.

Steve

FYI, most leisure-type long black powder firearms in this country tend to fall below the legal requirement for muzzle velocity or muzzle energy, or both. Hunting or taking game with a black powder handgun is prohibited. However, muzzleloading shotguns are still pretty popular, both percussion and flintlock, and for live game shooting, too. There are also club-style competitions in clay shooting for this category of guns right up to international level, as, indeed, there are for ALL types of black powder arms.

You might take a peek at Youtube - tac's guns, and see some of the BP stuff that we shoot at our club in the East Midlands.

Anyhow, Sussex, East and West, seems to well-equipped with gun clubs, according to Google. Remember that you MUST make your initial contact with the club secretary - just turning up on spec is NOT a good way to start your club life.

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 19-05-2017 at 05:11 PM.

Thank you to you Steve and tac for your replies and advice which is much appreciated. I will be following up on what you both have said and the start of something new

Thanks again

Kev
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

Nae bother, Jimmy.

Remember one difference between modern-style firearms and the oldies. With a bit of care and attention, you can shoot a genuine ACW/WoNA rifle that was used around that time - a firearm with a very real history to it. Both of my Canadian Sniders were used in action - small-scale stuff, sure, but part of our history nonetheless in a way that no replica could ever be.

Boer War firearms, Zulu wars, Matebele Wars, India and so on. Anywhere that Tommy went, his guns went too. And they still be found and shot for leisure and pleasure.

tac