Thread: Pellet drop

Pellet drop

I have a HW98 brilliantly tuned from Sandwell Field Sports. It has been shooting flawless. But just started to drop a few pellets, a good 8 inch below. I have cleaned the barrel again and just swapped pellets. It can still shoot pellet on pellet but still drops a few. Do you think it could be the scope ? All is tight so nothing lose. Thanks all

When was the gun tuned or last serviced? It may need an internal cleanout and re-lube, possibly new seals if it has been shot a lot since tuned.
    If you don't think that the gun needs a service it might be easiest to try sticking another scope on to see if the problem disappears. If you have a spare scope that you know is OK on another rifle give it a try.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

Quote Originally Posted by rancidtom View Post
    When was the gun tuned or last serviced? It may need an internal cleanout and re-lube, possibly new seals if it has been shot a lot since tuned.
    If you don't think that the gun needs a service it might be easiest to try sticking another scope on to see if the problem disappears. If you have a spare scope that you know is OK on another rifle give it a try.
    It was tuned last September and i did the winter competition with it. Now on with summer one. First cards shot the best so far. After cleaning it this week it grouped very well, but after around 30 shots it dropped two shots 8 inch below but both pellets grouped. Haven't shot it after then.

8" means something is very wrong. It needs looking at internally. Put it over a chrono first.

Angry

Did that last night and above 11ft as it is tuned to. Maybe your right and needs looking into

Is there any movement between barrel block and breech? Had this problem with my old HW80 which caused inconsistencies. I centre pipped to remove the wear at latch and after that shot spot on again.
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

It may also be worthwhile lubricating the barrel detent to ensure consistent lock-up.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Remember to check the cocking link for cracks, here's what I mean as its a known problem

http://imgur.com/KT16rmr

This might cause inconsistencies and its a easy fix.

I'll give it a good clean & lube over the weekend, replace the breech seal and check for any cracks, much appreciated all the response, as many Hands make light work. Thats the advantage of the HW97 with the fixed barrel. Thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by Rightfoot View Post
    Did that last night and above 11ft as it is tuned to. Maybe your right and needs looking into
    so just to clarify, the low pellets are the reading around the same ft/lb as the others?

if it is, I would have said it was a scope problem rather than an internal problem causing a loss in power.

or have you got a silencer on it that the pellets could be clipping?

Chris
    BASC Member

Thumbs up

The first pellet i shoot at the range normally drops low, so before i shot it i tested the power. As normal at just over 11ft pounds. Grouped well but after about 20-30 shots drops low. Normally it recovers after just one or two shots. I stoped shooting it when it did it this time out of frustration. No silencer fitted and i always check the skirts of the pellets before loading.

Quote Originally Posted by Rightfoot View Post
    The first pellet i shoot at the range normally drops low, so before i shot it i tested the power. As normal at just over 11ft pounds. Grouped well but after about 20-30 shots drops low. Normally it recovers after just one or two shots. I stoped shooting it when it did it this time out of frustration. No silencer fitted and i always check the skirts of the pellets before loading.
    could be a cracked delrin guide.....ive never had one go in guns upto about the size of a HW50 but beyond which in big 11ft lbs plus jobbies they can break.

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    could be a cracked delrin guide.....ive never had one go in guns upto about the size of a HW50 but beyond which in big 11ft lbs plus jobbies they can break.
    What is the Delrin guide?
    Last edited by Rightfoot; 20-05-2017 at 03:54 PM.