Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why a springer?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters

Why a springer?

I know my reasons why. What's yours?
    God rest ye jelly mental men

neil9629 is offline Holds the family record for most pencils nicked from Argos
    Pcp is too easy, I like having to actually shoot the gun.
    Don't blame me, I voted UKIP.

I don't drive so if I was to buy a PCP I would have to limit my shots. if the hunting is not going well I start plinking as my permission is a 18 mile round trip for my wife taking me there and the same for picking me up. so if I ran out of air it would be a short trip. if going PCP it would be a FAC one.

I'm not sure where I would get the diver bottle filled locally either.

dare say I could leave the diver bottle at the farm but its still a lot to take .

I have a just got a more local permission mind you. its still two miles to get there. don't fancy walking it that far with a divers bottle .

I prefer a Springer or gas ram rifle .

KISS. Self-contained.

Most of my hunting is done at night with NV so, I use a PCP but, for a more rewarding experience, I'll take the springer for a walk in the woods during the day.

By that, I mean, for me, everything has to be thought about more - fieldcraft, range, hold, follow through. So when I do get something, it's definitely more satisfying.

The same applies for a day at the range - you know a good shot with a springer really is a good shot. Plinking is just more fun with a springer.

All of the above.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    If I just want to get out and shoot I just grab a springer.

My Daystate really bugged me because I had to charge it with electric the night before then air the day I was going out!
    Master Debater

Quote Originally Posted by neil9629 View Post
    Pcp is too easy, I like having to actually shoot the gun.
    This is precisely right. Recoil and managing it is all part of shooting, but I accept the PCP provides consistent clinical accuracy that FT shooters demand, and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    My main reason is purely usage.

Like your good self I've been around the houses a long time and floated my boat with many excellent top pcp's and should my circumstances change in the future (e.g. Hunting permission) then I would have no problem returning back to a pcp if I was putting it to good use.

Simple factor is I honestly can't justify using a pcp when my used 97k that stands me at daft cheap money does the job that I require.

As a casual once a week plinker at my local club I finally realised that having all this top pcp gear some cheap and some expensive outfits wasn't really doing me any favours.

I fell in the trap of constantly wanting to try another pcp or flipping current pcp's to upgrade to another pcp then getting bored and flipping pcp again for another pcp round and round it went ok it's fun to keep turning up with another new pcp but the novelty soon wears off pretty quickly.

Now as mentioned above the 'simplistic' springer is doing the job just fine for me and with such cost effective running costs I don't have to worry about charging gear, top ups, leaks or any power curve issues.

Just a tin of slugs is all I need and I honestly can't see me changing the 97k for anything else anytime soon I simply have no real need.

Yes there's the want list and that includes other springers and pcp stuff but for now I'm keeping it simple and concentrating on the simple need list

Tried most pcps and had good results with them, but there's just something about a springer.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    The main reason... Because a guy at the club where I shoot nearly killed himself when he had a mishap filling his PCP rifle, he's not 100% sure what or how it happened but he nearly lost his hand, the explosion embedded the fill adapter and valve into a brick wall across his living room and sprayed blood all over the ceiling, ambulance was called and police attended too as "a gun was involved", he spent months having surgery and regaining the use of his fingers and thumb, or most of it anyway. He was very very lucky not to come off a lot worse, just imagine if that valve had hit his head !!

...other than that, PCP's are dead instruments of accuracy, no soul, so just don't appeal.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    I love the fact they are self contained, that anyone with a practical frame of mind can safely work on them at home, and that they are generally reliable. No need for back-breaking pumps or expensive and potentially dangerous dive bottles.
    I still have a PCP, but it's taken a backseat to the springers.
    I'm not wholly in love with hold-sensitivity myself, but as long as it isn't too extreme I can live with it. I'd definitely like to see more semi-recoilless rifles - Something like a Gamo Swarm (but good ) on a sledge action could be the ultimate self contained hunting gun?
    Good deals with these members

Hold sensitivity, the final frontier.

For me they are simply more rewarding to shoot, i have a john bowkett tuned r10 se and it was bought as a hunting tool, it works and is clinical in what it does, but i get more satisfaction from hitting what im aiming at with a springer.

I can honestly say i doubt i will ever own more pcps than springers.

Because they have "character" and a bit of a mystery of how all parameters are inter-related even for the same model to get the best out of them when dabbling around......