Thread: Webley 'Senior' Air Pistol, Boxed w/receipt valuation?

Webley 'Senior' Air Pistol, Boxed w/receipt valuation?

Hello - I was given a boxed Webley Senior pistol and am looking to sell it. I have had a look online but am having trouble dating mine as there is no serial number I can find and I have no experience with old pistols. It seems in remarkably good condition and comes with it's box and even the original receipt was inside for £7-10shillings. I've done my best with the pictures in macro mode, most of the apparent blemishes are dust, fingerprints and old grease rather than scratches etc. If anyone could point me towards a reasonable valuation I'd be most grateful

Here is a link to the pictures

Hi paolo, that's a very nice pistol and box combination, with relevant paperwork included. This is the post-war Webley Senior model, and I think it dates from around 1948. The knurling on the barrel was reduced in length in 1949, and yours still has the longer section. The number "4" in the address was only used until 1958, so this again helps to date it. Value is difficult to advise on. Assuming both sides of the pistol are as shown, if you were to sell to a dealer or on the forum, I would say around £250 plus. This is mainly based on what I would be happy to pay, if I didn't already have a similar one.
    Last edited by webman; 21-05-2017 at 09:10 PM.
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

Quote Originally Posted by paolo View Post
    Hello - I was given a boxed Webley Senior pistol and am looking to sell it. I have had a look online but am having trouble dating mine as there is no serial number I can find and I have no experience with old pistols. It seems in remarkably good condition and comes with it's box and even the original receipt was inside for £7-10shillings. I've done my best with the pictures in macro mode, most of the apparent blemishes are dust, fingerprints and old grease rather than scratches etc. If anyone could point me towards a reasonable valuation I'd be most grateful

Here is a link to the pictures
    I'll give you £30, FOUR times the original purchase price.

Seriously, it looks very nice but I can't see all of it in the pics.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    Hi paolo, that's a very nice pistol and box combination, with relevant paperwork included. This is the post-war Webley Senior model, and I think it dates from around 1948. The knurling on the barrel was reduced in length in 1949, and yours still has the longer section. The number "4" in the address was only used until 1958, so this again helps to date it. Value is difficult to advise on. Assuming both sides of the pistol are as shown, if you were to sell to a dealer or on the forum, I would say around £250 plus. This is mainly based on what I would be happy to pay, if I didn't already have a similar one.
    I would agree, £250 minimum, and if you are not in a hurry to sell, £275 - £300.

micky2 is online now The collector formerly known as micky
    Yes l would go along with the £250 value.

If Beales had continued selling airguns they might still be making a profit.

The Store was sold cheap a couple of years ago and the new owners want to make the top four floors into flats.

Beales was a great store and the first to have a real live Father Christmas.
    I doubt he will be able to afford one of the flats.
    Last edited by gingernut; 22-05-2017 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    If Beales had continued selling airguns they might still be making a profit.

The Store was sold cheap a couple of years ago and the new owners want to make the top four floors into flats.

Beales was a great store and the first to have a real live Father Christmas.
    I doubt he will be able to afford one of the flats.
    I have a BSA Improved model D, with J E Beale (Bournemouth) stamped into the stock.

Interestingly enough, another set back suffered by Beales, was being hit by a bomb from one of four FW190's on a cross channel raid during the war, one of the other bombs hit a large hotel packed with UK & American servicemen on leave. Bad day for Bournemoth. I think Beales had to be re-built.

Lakey

Many thanks to all that replied, the information was fascinating and useful. Now I know a bit more about it I'm tempted to keep it which was never my intention! Beales was a great store, I am sad to find out it is now another block of apartments. I'll have a think about selling over the next day or so and if I do so I'll try and take some better pictures.
    best regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I'll give you £30, FOUR times the original purchase price.

Seriously, it looks very nice but I can't see all of it in the pics.
    To be honest, before I came on here, I'd have thought that a decent offer! :-)

Senior

Whether you sell or not is obviously your choice. However, the value of your boxed pistol, in such good condition, can only increase. Why not try shooting it, you may end up enjoying it and become one more collector to join our happy band !
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

Emotion aside.
    If you can clear £250 SELL.
    They made a lot of these.

Dont get these valuation threads ,for youre info i recently put up a premier in the same condition as yours(if not better) in a mint box had a fair few valuations all over the£250 that it finaly failed to sell for so make of that what you will.the box would prob go on e ~ay for 150

i see it lower around £225 tops as the box is tatty .I have sold nice ones for 250 cant see why people have said £300+ you have to have a retail outlet to get any near where that

Lot of difference between a valuation and what I am prepared to pay for it.
    But Forum won't let you ask that!

Quote Originally Posted by splosh! View Post
    cant see why people have said £300+ you have to have a retail outlet to get any near where that
    Isn't this an example of the distortion of the private market by retailers trying for - and appearing to find buyers at - prices hundreds of pounds more than we are used to paying? If a nice boxed Senior is advertised at £375 by J C Militaria then it seems possible that if you weren't in a hurry you might find a buyer for the private market equivalent at £300. Even if most of us wouldn't dream of paying more than, say, £200 for the same thing.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.