Thread: Lincoln jeffries No. 134

Lincoln jeffries No. 134

Hi I am a new member to this site so hope that I am in the right place apologies if I am not sure someone will point me in the right direction.
    I have my father's air gun, he died 40 years ago, I know he inherited the gun, it's a Lincoln jeffries serial No.134 I know it is an early 1905 model having looked at the serial number dating lists. I have pictures but not sure how to put them on here. How do I go about getting a valuation on this gun.
    Thanks Jim

Quote Originally Posted by portlandjim View Post
    Hi I am a new member to this site so hope that I am in the right place apologies if I am not sure someone will point me in the right direction.
    I have my father's air gun, he died 40 years ago, I know he inherited the gun, it's a Lincoln jeffries serial No.134 I know it is an early 1905 model having looked at the serial number dating lists. I have pictures but not sure how to put them on here. How do I go about getting a valuation on this gun.
    Thanks Jim
    Jim I've sent you an email.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Condition is everything.

Once you start thinking of replacing a screw or something that isn't correct, to the purists it isn't as it should be, for the person who is happy with the odd replacement screw, after the initial purchase the cost of putting it right is just beyond any economical sense.

But where has sense come not these things, I have No.660 well bits of it anyway, as it has had some form of repair using donor parts from a later model. I keep looking to find a scrap donor gun, but as yet i have a cylinder, barrel and sights but no tap etc.

A few years ago a good LJ / BSA. Would be £200. That may have gone up since then

There are a fair few on Gun* but some have been there for along time, reflecting the pricing the vendors are asking.

ATB

Lee

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Jim I think that in view of the fact it is such an early LJ, that will add quite a bit of value. Even though the condition is not great (including a nasty crack across the pistol grip), it does look original, which also counts for something. I expect it may be worth in the region of £350.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Is the knurled screw opposite side to the tap original?

Or should i say it looks original as Lincoln Jeffries did patent a screw adjustment as an improvement, but either a factory repair after some time or someones post purchase improvement many years ago?

Still a cracking gun, I do prefer the earlier models

Good luck if you decide to sell.

ATB

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Is the knurled screw opposite side to the tap original?

Or should i say it looks original as Lincoln Jeffries did patent a screw adjustment as an improvement, but either a factory repair after some time or someones post purchase improvement many years ago?

Still a cracking gun, I do prefer the earlier models

Good luck if you decide to sell.

ATB

Lee
    Lee this screw is often seen on early LJ's and was probably a factory upgrade. So you're right, it wouldn't have been on the rifle when it was new but was almost contemporary with it and shouldn't affect the value too much IMO.

IIRC, the idea with this 'innovation' of LJ's was that wear in the tap would be taken up by tightening it - but the idea was dropped when it turned out that doing so pulled the tap out of alignment with the bore. Obvious when you think of it!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Cheers Garvin for the information,

Now if i ever find the bits to sort 660 out to a more original looking state I have options for either the plate retaining screw and keeper screw or the later knurled adjusting version

Interesting gun and a REAL piece of history. That said, I would put the vale around £230-£250, due mainly to the condition.

The trigger pivot screw is badly mashed up, the foresight has lost its bead, and the rearsight elevation screw has been altered. The stock has a nasty split, which would be a difficult fix. All else seems original, including the cast trigger guard with the uncommon long tang, which went by the time of the first "Improved model" as they were difficult to fit ( the breakage rate at the factory was apparently very high).

On another note, it is nice to see a first model bayonet cocking lever, with the bayonet tip at the right shape and profile. A lot become bent out of shape over the years, due to over zelous use and the guns falling over . The shape of this one is exactly the way they left the factory in my opinion.

Early Lincoln Air Rifle in the very first batch made.

Lakey

micky2 is online now The collector formerly known as micky
    Nice to see that it is now the earlyest known LJ 1st batch rifle. although not all original with having had the improved tap adjuster fitted. l would value it at about the £250+ mark. a nice bit of history.

Seeing Andy and Mick's valuations of around the £250 mark, I would defer to them since they are definitely more knowledgeable on this subject than me.

I suppose a lot depends what premium someone would pay for the fact it's an extremely early Lincoln. Back in the days I was enthusiastically collecting prewar BSAs I think that would have been a big attraction... But it is in a fairly poor condition, unfortunately.

Vintage Airguns Gallery

micky2 is online now The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Seeing Andy and Mick's valuations of around the £250 mark, I would defer to them since they are definitely more knowledgeable on this subject than me.

I suppose a lot depends what premium someone would pay for the fact it's an extremely early Lincoln. Back in the days I was enthusiastically collecting prewar BSAs I think that would have been a big attraction... But it is in a fairly poor condition, unfortunately.

Hi Danny, l have to agre with you. that it being the earliest one known, knocing my own down to the second earlist. that a real enthusiastically B.S.A collector would want this in their colection and might be willing to go higher. but maybe there are still some earlyer ones out there waiting to be discovered.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Hi Danny, l have to agre with you. that it being the earliest one known, knocing my own down to the second earlist. that a real enthusiastically B.S.A collector would want this in their colection and might be willing to go higher. but maybe there are still some earlyer ones out there waiting to be discovered.
    Garvin and Micky,

I couldnt agree more. The real value of this gun is in the significance of its early serial number, and the fact that it was produced by George Lincoln Jeffries, in a model/type that influenced airgun design for decades afterwards.
    All of that might appeal more to really serious BSA collectors who might appreciate the significance of the rifle.

Most people, just wanting a "pre-war BSA underlever might want to hold out for one in slightly better condition, and maybe a representative model of the massively more common BSA Improved Model D.

H The Lincoln Air Rifles, are special to me and provide an actual link back to GLJ himself, which is priceless.

Valuing something like this is akin to trying to find an answer to "How long is a piece of string", no-one is right or wrong - its just opinions at the end of the day.....

Lakey

Thank you for your reply

Many thanks to all of you who posted interesting information on my L J no.134
    How do I go about selling the gun? Where would be the best place to find a serious collector that would appreciate this early model?